Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Refinishing GT dash bezels (inserts) '84 GT

EDIT: See post #10 for what ended up happening.

Not finding anything searching the site other than suggestions on finding better replacements.

I have my dash out of the car and dyed everything. My bezels are looking a little worse for wear. I grabbed an extra cluster bezel a few years ago, and as others have noted, the grey is way off from my originals. I really don't want to put in mismatching pieces. Here's a few pics of what I'm working with below.

Has anyone successfully repainted the grey in their GT dash bezels? If so what paint did you use? I'd like to keep the finish as close to stock as possible. Lots of taping off and the faux screw heads might be tricky. Any tips or advice welcome. Thanks!

Name:  bezels.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  297.6 KB
    Last edited by graphicdesigner80; 05-05-2020 at 02:09 PM.
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Any idea if these would come close to the grey these panels were originally?

https://www.npdlink.com/product/inte...1984&year=1984

https://www.npdlink.com/product/3915...1984&year=1984

Personally I think those two grays are going to be darker than what you are looking for to refinish the bezels. You could always buy a can of each and do a test shot on an unwanted piece of plastic to see how they turn out.

There are some other options. You might want to try and find a paint store near you that will mix paint in aerosol cans. They may be able to mix you some pant that is close to the original color. You could also visit a local hobby store and look for a model spray paint that is close to the gray color.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
    Personally I think those two grays are going to be darker than what you are looking for to refinish the bezels. You could always buy a can of each and do a test shot on an unwanted piece of plastic to see how they turn out.

There are some other options. You might want to try and find a paint store near you that will mix paint in aerosol cans. They may be able to mix you some pant that is close to the original color. You could also visit a local hobby store and look for a model spray paint that is close to the gray color.
    Good idea. Once they open things back up around here a trip to the hobby store is in order.

thanks tbirdman. Don't set the building on fire.

The issue I had when trying to refinish the GT bezels was that the grey is a coating or film and not a regular paint. Getting the same slick surface and look is difficult using any standard spray paint or even automotive paint.

Although probably a more expensive option, I would look into have the parts hydro-dipped rather than trying to paint them. May not be in your budget, but I would at least consider it. If the price isn't too crazy I think the results will be more like the OEM finish than most attempts using spray paint. That's my .02 for what it's worth. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Maybe vinyl wrap? Defiantly would come out smooth. Inexpensive. Many options of look and brands.
    Reversible no damage. Peel and stick. Couple of 3" x 5" samples would cover.
    https://www.metrorestyling.com/ORACA...ir-s/18743.htm
    Last edited by gr79; 04-17-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks, Trey & gr79. Researching options. Appreciate the feedback.

Here is one member's thread from a ways back on refinishing the dash bezels...

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=instrument

85 Mustang GT

Here is one member's thread from a ways back on refinishing the dash bezels...

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=instrument
    You're the man! I mean, you're the tbirdman!

Thanks for digging that up. I need a lesson in searching. lol

After a lot of thought, pulled the trigger and used some nice brushed aluminum vinyl. Wasn't looking forward to taping off every little detail (especially all the fake Allen screw heads) & attempting paint. Amazon had some in a color similar the the factory grey. Lighting makes all the difference... In low light it looks pretty close to the factory grey. In sunlight it really pops. Still need to do the piece above the glove box. Had to repaint the black border on it as it had some overspray from the PO's terrible attempt to dye the red dash black.

vinyl: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What do y'all think?

Name:  61038026645__67AF94A9-5B83-4EF2-AF65-9A1A9274B856.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  336.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_9794.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  189.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_9795.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  238.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_9797.jpg
Size:  250.4 KB
    Last edited by graphicdesigner80; 05-05-2020 at 10:40 AM.
    86 LX Coupe

The dash panel looks Great! Congrats, I should have recommended that in my earlier post, but apparently wasn't thinking. I did the same thing years ago when the carbon fiber "look" was all the rage and vinyl wraps were just coming into their own. Not bad at the time, but definitely not my taste theses days.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The dash panel looks Great! Congrats, I should have recommended that in my earlier post, but apparently wasn't thinking. I did the same thing years ago when the carbon fiber "look" was all the rage and vinyl wraps were just coming into their own. Not bad at the time, but definitely not my taste theses days.
    Thanks, Trey!

Yeah, that carbon-fiber look sure has made the rounds. Looks better in some cars than others. I've always had the mentality "it's your car. Do whatever you like!"

Hope your dad is doing better.

Kent

FEP Member

I like it.

Might consider doing something similar. A carbon fiber would look good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice!

85 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by graphicdesigner80 View Post
    Thanks, Trey!

Yeah, that carbon-fiber look sure has made the rounds. Looks better in some cars than others. I've always had the mentality "it's your car. Do whatever you like!"

Hope your dad is doing better.

Kent
    Thanks! Dad is doing better and that is great! The carbon fiber I used was one of the original vinyl versions that today looks very fake and unrealistic. I have some of the new carbon fiber that is very real looking and probably would look really good if I choose to go that route, but not sure that is what I want at this point in my life. Today's vinyls are really cool and impressive in how realistic they can look and pretty easy to work with.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Very nice!
    Thanks, tbirdman!

Thanks! Dad is doing better and that is great! The carbon fiber I used was one of the original vinyl versions that today looks very fake and unrealistic. I have some of the new carbon fiber that is very real looking and probably would look really good if I choose to go that route, but not sure that is what I want at this point in my life. Today's vinyls are really cool and impressive in how realistic they can look and pretty easy to work with.
    Very good news! Hope things keep going well for him and he can get back home soon.

It's amazing what they can do with vinyl these days. Some of that stuff out there is crazy-intricate. Looks like the sky's the limit, as long as you got the money Are all your cars in CO?

I'll get some pics once the dash gets put back together. Will be nice to actually have a complete interior for once.

wow it looks great! but I was going to suggest flocking like the svo dash
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    wow it looks great! but I was going to suggest flocking like the svo dash
    Those always looked cool to me. I’d always be worried about the kids touching it and rubbing it off

86 LX Coupe

You mind me asking how you got the edges so perfect, and the holes? Looks amazing!

After a lot of thought, pulled the trigger and used some nice brushed aluminum vinyl. Wasn't looking forward to taping off every little detail (especially all the fake Allen screw heads) & attempting paint. Amazon had some in a color similar the the factory grey. Lighting makes all the difference... In low light it looks pretty close to the factory grey. In sunlight it really pops. Still need to do the piece above the glove box. Had to repaint the black border on it as it had some overspray from the PO's terrible attempt to dye the red dash black.

vinyl: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What do y'all think?

Name:  61038026645__67AF94A9-5B83-4EF2-AF65-9A1A9274B856.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  336.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_9794.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  189.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_9795.jpg
Size:  238.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_9797.jpg
Size:  250.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ddx77 View Post
    You mind me asking how you got the edges so perfect, and the holes? Looks amazing!
    Thanks Drew.

I spent about 3 hours with an exacto knife... most of that time was on those dang Allen heads. Roughly cut out the shape needed to cover a section then went to town. Stuff is very forgiving and easy to pull off and try again if you mess up. It's not perfect, but given what the rest of my junker looks like, it's an improvement.

Very nice results.

Very good news! Hope things keep going well for him and he can get back home soon.

It's amazing what they can do with vinyl these days. Some of that stuff out there is crazy-intricate. Looks like the sky's the limit, as long as you got the money Are all your cars in CO?
    Thanks! No not all of my cars are in Colorado. I kept buying cars when I was remodeling my parents house there in Round Rock. My 82 RS, my 81 Black Magic, and an 89 GT roller are still there at our old shop out in Hutto. The RS I was restoring at night and some weekends while I was down there just to keep my sanity. The BM is a basket case, but I seem to really love the diamonds in a rough. The GT was a parts vehicle purchase. We will have to try and meet up the next time I am down there.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 05-05-2020 at 05:57 PM.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanks! No not all of my cars are in Colorado. I kept buying cars when I was remodeling my parents house there in Round Rock. My 82 RS, my 81 Black Magic, and an 89 GT roller are still there at our old shop out in Hutto. The RS I was restoring at night and some weekends while I was down there just to keep my sanity. The BM is a basket case, but I seem to really love the diamonds in a rough. The GT was a parts vehicle purchase. We will have to try and meet up the next time I am down there.
    Wow. Awesome collection. Be fun to check them out sometime. Hutto has gone from a one-stoplight town to suburbia in the past 10 years.

I’m right down the road behind the Dell Diamond.

86 LX Coupe

Wow. Awesome collection. Be fun to check them out sometime. Hutto has gone from a one-stoplight town to suburbia in the past 10 years.

I’m right down the road behind the Dell Diamond.

There is nothing awesome about the collection! All of my cars are diamond in the roughs or basket cases that most wouldn't buy as a parts car. The 82 RS was a rust bucket from Smithville that I bought from the second owner that had is sitting for over 20 years. I couldn't let it die, so I have rebuilt/repaired most of it and ultimately it will be repaired to a like original look exterior/interior wise with a bit more power and Aero brakes.

The BM is a T-Top car too and been my "Lady in the Red Dress" trying to find for years, but just never worked out. Probably crazy to try and save it, but then again I did graduate from Round Rock High School, so . . . .

I'll be happy to show you the mess of Foxes I have the next time I make it down there. I know we are going down in July for a wedding, but not sure what spare time I may have then. Will definitely keep you in mind. I have a HS buddy that lives in the same subdivision as you behind Dell too.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

There is nothing awesome about the collection! All of my cars are diamond in the roughs or basket cases that most wouldn't buy as a parts car. The 82 RS was a rust bucket from Smithville that I bought from the second owner that had is sitting for over 20 years. I couldn't let it die, so I have rebuilt/repaired most of it and ultimately it will be repaired to a like original look exterior/interior wise with a bit more power and Aero brakes.

The BM is a T-Top car too and been my "Lady in the Red Dress" trying to find for years, but just never worked out. Probably crazy to try and save it, but then again I did graduate from Round Rock High School, so . . . .

I'll be happy to show you the mess of Foxes I have the next time I make it down there. I know we are going down in July for a wedding, but not sure what spare time I may have then. Will definitely keep you in mind. I have a HS buddy that lives in the same subdivision as you behind Dell too.
    Wow. Small world. Spare time seems to be at a premium these days. Every time i visit the folks it's the same issue - too many people, not enough time.

There's just something about these cars that seem to attract certain folks (cool ones). Even if they're rough or junkers to a regular joe. My vert is definitely in that category. Could've been easily parted out in the shape it was when I bought it. I think it's something to do with growing up during that period and not seeing many around anymore. If I had a nickel for every 'Christine' reference thrown at me by my friends... 'ya can't polish a turd'... 'it cost you a sh**-pile of dough to put this heap together'... etc, I'd have enough money to paint the dang thing! haha.
    86 LX Coupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast