Close

Default Wanting dew wipes for your four door model? Process and pics!

I searched and there were a lot of old threads so the credit is not really mine.

This is a new thread for those curious - YES! The rear window dew wipe off of a full sized Bronco (I ordered for a 1990 model) will indeed work for outer dew wipes. They have to be cut to length and some clips removed/reinstalled. Getting the clips out is pretty easy (flat blade screwdriver) but reinstalling them means new holes to use the same little tabs which are brittle anyway from being unbent. I just drilled a 1/8" hole through the top of each clip and the new dew wipe (using the old one for a spacing template) and riveted them on with a hand riveter. Took me about an hour for a door (I was going slow). One Bronco wipe will do both front doors. I bought two so I will probably do the rear doors too.

I can post pics if anyone wants when I do the other side.

Mine is an '81 Granada.
    Last edited by richpet; 04-14-2020 at 09:36 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I am interested in seeing the results/process.

There's a guy Bobby Ward on FB who says he can get anything weatherstrip-related. I'd ask him.

I plan to buy a full kit from him once I can free up the money. I think he said $300 for everything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I am interested. Please post pics of this when you do the other door.
    Thanks!
    Raul

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    There's a guy Bobby Ward on FB who says he can get anything weatherstrip-related. I'd ask him.

I plan to buy a full kit from him once I can free up the money. I think he said $300 for everything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I’m interested in weatherstripping for a 2door sedan but am not on FB
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Cool. I will take some pics when I do the driver side tonight or tomorrow.

I just recalled a lot of questions and 'that won't works' when I contacted different companies, including one (Green?) that supposedly had the widest stock.
    I got my trunk seal for $40 I think, the front outer dews will cost about $45. My door jamb stuff is good enough. Wish I could do the inner wipes... might look in to that down the road.

I'm just glad I found that 2008 thread! I have a full size Bronco, so I figured that if it didn't work I would just replace it on mine since it's bad anyway. If this also works for the rear doors I will buy one more for the Bronco.

Just understand - I do what works, and that might not be right or best by other people's standards. Then I learn from the comments.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

Ok. Here we go. Ironic I do photography as a hobby and these pictures kinda... Never mind.

First off, stuff:

Flat blade screwdriver
    Riveting tool and rivets (don't know size. They were 1/8" diameter and just long enough to do the job)
    Tin snips
    One dew wipe. I got mine from LMCtruck.com. Part #49-9465 Fits the rear window of a 1990 Bronco. $39.95 plus shipping from them. One wipe does both front doors.
    Hammer
    Drill w/ 1/8" steel bit
    Center punch
    Sharpie

Recommended: Can/bottle of hoppy beverage

Here is the old and the new, prior to modification. Use tin snips to cut the new one to length.

Name:  old new before.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  168.7 KB

Here are the new and old lined up. If you line up a couple clips you only need to do about 4 per door. The rivets are next to the ones I need to move/add.

Name:  Clip placement.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  81.8 KB

Pop out the necessary clips with a wide flat blade screwdriver. They come out pretty easy. Just flatten or break off the side tabs that held it in place.

Name:  Popping out clips.jpg
Size:  164.4 KB

Use a center punch to dimple the clips above the center tab of the clip. Don't worry of it ends up not centered. After you drill the hole, place clip against new dew and mark the hole with a sharpie (hence not worrying if off center) and drill that hole. You want to line up the center tabs as they fit in the door slots! You do have some side-to-side wiggle room on several though. Attach with rivet placing the flat part against the clip. This puts the 'ball' end on the glass side, but it won't touch. If done the other way the 'ball' end pushes it away from the door and creates a gap.

Name:  Drilled ready to rivet.jpg
Size:  117.4 KB

Do them all and you end up with this. Next to old for reference.

Name:  Completed ready to install.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  99.9 KB

Now go to your door, line it up and slip it down to lock it on. You might need to play with the gap of the clips to get them to click in enough to hold it, loosen them a bit to get it on, whatever. You end up with this as the final install.

Well, look at next reply to see it. Apparently one can only attach 5 files per post. Anyway, not perfect, but they appear to seal good, was cost effective, and look good. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by richpet; 04-15-2020 at 11:07 AM.

Here is my final product.

Name:  On the door.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  69.4 KB

I'm happy with it. I think the rear doors are the same style, but I am leaving them alone for now.

I took my door panel off so I could have a tad more room, but I didn't do that on the passenger side.

Great job! And Thanks for the part number, pictures and description. I am certainly going to do it on my 1978 Zephyr Z7 doors. By any chance would you happen to have an idea of the overall length of this Bronco rear window dew pipe? You mention you have enough to do the 2 front doors on a 4 door Granada, and I am curious if I could manage to do the two long doors on my Z7.

Thanks again!

Raul

There was about 6" left over if that helps.

Edit- Measures about 82"

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 04-15-2020 at 11:10 AM.

I do have the second one. I can measure it tomorrow if you'd like.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Please measure I am interested in overall length of bronco dew wipe as well. Sourcing out alternative options for the 80’s panther community.

If possible please provide a profile shot of the weatherstripping.

Will do.
    I edited above, but 82" long.

It's taking forever to email myself pics. Maybe I will try with my phone.

Here we go:

Metal reinforcement is about 7/8"

Name:  IMG_20200415_091450.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  145.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20200415_091558.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  138.5 KB
    Last edited by richpet; 04-15-2020 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    I’m interested in weatherstripping for a 2door sedan but am not on FB
    Bobby Ward also sells on ebay. He may have a store on there.

Edit: He does have a store. I bought door channel runs from him, was very happy. https://www.ebay.com/usr/bobbyward?_...88.m1543.l2754
    Last edited by gmatt; 04-15-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    Will do.
    I edited above, but 82" long.

It's taking forever to email myself pics. Maybe I will try with my phone.

Here we go:

Metal reinforcement is about 7/8"

Name:  IMG_20200415_091450.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  145.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20200415_091558.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  138.5 KB

Thanks a bunch. Looks just like the stuff on the crown vics and grand
    Marquis of the 89’s.