Close

Default Can anybody research anything with just the Vin?

What started my interest in Fox bodies was when I got to drive a 1983 GT that was owned by my Girlfriends (now my wife) parents in high school. Car made an impression on me, so when I found another 83 optioned nearly the same, I bought it. I am probably repeating something I have posted about here at FEP in the past.

fast forward & I was messing around with my 83 this weekend & it stirred up some more interest in that 83 GT I drove back in 1986
    My mother in-law was able to find the Vin number from it. Can anybody do anything with it? Car was Gray or Silver, red interior 4 speed with A/C but I don;t think it had any other options. Maybe rear defrost. Otherwise no power options that I recall.

Wonder if the car is still out there somewhere? Here's the Vin: 1FABP28F6DF106342

DPPA does not allow you to look up owner information. Only authorized persons can do that now.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

No real need to know the owners info & wouldn't really expect to be able to find that out
    But I am am curious though if the car is still on the road, and further wondering if it was optioned the way I remembered.
    They sold it around 1995 maybe before & the car had issues even back then. It might have ended up in a scrap yard.

Wasn't sure if there was a way to find out any of that stuff from just the Vin number.

Thanks!

Maybe pay for a Carfax ? and you could pay for a “Marti report” to see how it was optioned & you’ll get other details with it ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1983-GT View Post
    No real need to know the owners info & wouldn't really expect to be able to find that out
    But I am am curious though if the car is still on the road, and further wondering if it was optioned the way I remembered.
    They sold it around 1995 maybe before & the car had issues even back then. It might have ended up in a scrap yard.

Wasn't sure if there was a way to find out any of that stuff from just the Vin number.

Thanks!

If all you want to know is the options the car had then a "standard" Marti report will do. The standard report won't have what the deluxe report has:

image of door tag
    dates (ordered, serialized, bucked, released, sold)
    dealer name and address
    production statistics
    vehicle order image
    type of order
    district item number

Yes on the vehicle history report (Carfax, AutoCheck, etc). That may have a recent entry for a title, inspection, registratiom, accident, etc.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Power Member

Some states do allow limited info. In CA you could look up the smog info. It would list the date, location and smog station name going back more than 10 years. It’s kind of funny that the DMV often does not have info after 10 years but the smog info was still available on line.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

No leinholder info on WI DOT site.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

a carfax or auto check report will show if its still registered somewhere.