Close

Default a/c evaporator core question (84 GT)

Hey fellas -

Firstly, I don't know the history on the a/c in this car. Was disconnected long before i bought it.

Pulled my HVAC box out. The a/c evaporator core appears to be original and in good condition. At least box has not been cut open to replace. It does have some black gunk at the bottom (see pic) that I suspect is melted butyl from the heater core. I've trued pulling it out but am worried about damaging the cooling fins. Just want to be sure ford didn't use something to seal it up at the bottom before i mess with it again and potentially damage?

I guess the big question is: would you go ahead and replace it now? I hate cutting the box open to replace it if unnecessary. But i sure don't want to have to do this job twice... especially if the a/c won't vacuum down or cool correctly.

Name:  goop.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  135.7 KB

Name:  IMG_9637.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  96.6 KB
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

If you have a vacuum pump I would make some adapters (hose or tubing and just run a quick check on it. If it is OK (and probably is) just leave it alone. any attempts to clean it would cause damage and not enough is blocked to hurt it.

I think they seal everything with a butyl like compound band this is just over squeeze. Not sure though
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by gt4494 View Post
    If you have a vacuum pump I would make some adapters (hose or tubing and just run a quick check on it. If it is OK (and probably is) just leave it alone. any attempts to clean it would cause damage and not enough is blocked to hurt it.

I think they seal everything with a butyl like compound band this is just over squeeze. Not sure though
    Good idea. I’ll get the pump out and see what happens. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    86 LX Coupe

Default a/c evaporator core question (84 GT)

Ended up taking the HVAC box apart to clean & replace foam on blend door. Evaporator core showed evidence of leaks, so went ahead and bought a new one.

What do y’all use to seal it in the box? Arrow cars I’ve worked with had a foam seal around the edges to keep the air from passing around the core to maximize a/c efficiency. The one I just pulled out had ‘dum-dum’ on the top & bottom to keep it from rattling around (see pics).

Where can I get the seal? Didn't come with the new core.

Last edited by graphicdesigner80; 06-15-2020 at 09:40 AM.
    86 LX Coupe

FEP Supporter

This thread shows how a poter here did his. At the end Mr. Cook makes a recommendation as to the type of foam to use. I will do as Mr. Cook suggests when the time comes for my car.
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    This thread shows how a poter here did his. At the end Mr. Cook makes a recommendation as to the type of foam to use. I will do as Mr. Cook suggests when the time comes for my car.
    Hey Steve —
    Thanks for chiming in. You happen to have a link to that particular thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    86 LX Coupe

Exactly what i was looking for. Thanks!
    86 LX Coupe

FEP Supporter

Glad to help sir!
    '85 GT