Close

Thread: Shorty console

FEP Member

Default Shorty console

Does anyone make commercially a shorty console for the fox body platform? The part between the seats feels like it’s in my way and I don’t like it, and in my Miata that I used to have we made one that dropped off after the shifter because at the time there weren’t any good commercial ones available that I liked. Before I start considering hacking mine up I figured I’d ask and see.

FEP Senior Member

Some of the earlier base models had just a shifter console that is a rectangle around the shifter only. It doesn't connect to the dash. I have one in my '80 (it was original to the car), and it isn't reproduced anywhere currently that I know of. You may be able to find one online.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Stick shift Ford Rangers about 1995 had a shifter console piece that bolts to the floor with a little cup holder
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Measured my 93 Ranger 5 speed cupholder shifter trim. Automatics do not have shifter cut out.
    13" wide, 8" f-r, two cup holders, boot cut out about same as Mustang. Boot needs to be big to cover cut.
    Measured the car. It should fit without sticking way out on the sides. Mustang trans tunnel is narrower.
    The later years had same console with a bubble in front for hiding something electrical.
    Mustang II had similar console to fox. console bin looks smaller.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Measured my 93 Ranger 5 speed cupholder shifter trim. Automatics do not have shifter cut out.
    13" wide, 8" f-r, two cup holders, boot cut out about same as Mustang. Boot needs to be big to cover cut.
    Measured the car. It should fit without sticking way out on the sides. Mustang trans tunnel is narrower.
    The later years had same console with a bubble in front for hiding something electrical.
    Mustang II had similar console to fox. console bin looks smaller.

Anyone ever put a Mustang II console in their car?

Awesome post ^^^
    thanks
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Power Member

There is also the ASC console. The center insert can be used.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Member

Think I’m going to give trying to make my own shorty console a shot and see how it goes. Thinking I’ll do something similar to the one I made for my Miata when I had it, where it slopes away from the shifter, and use one of the early fox body parking brake covers from the cars that came without a center console.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FEP Member

Parking brake cover arrived last night and I yanked the center console out. Planning out the conversion, as I want to be sure I get the angle of the console right before I start cutting.

FEP Member

Got the cutting done and glued the sloped back plate. I’m going to have to do something about the seam up top, thinking plastic cement and the shavings from cutting it should work if I use some packing tape to hold it all up until it sets. It’s cut at a like 35sih degree angle, ends about 3” behind the front of the seats. Name:  C17A4CCE-C514-4D6E-AA9D-43FEA7AB2ED6.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  151.3 KB

FEP Member

Well, it is finished. I glued the larger chunks from cutting it into the gap, then sanded it down and used plastic cement to melt the shavings into the small holes left over. It isn’t perfect and has a slightly shiny appearance there, but that should fade with time I expect. I believe this looks better than the full console delete, straight cutoff ending for a shorty console, or ranger shorty console in a four eye interior.

Very good job. I agree with cut. They do not have the best armrest design. Bin is ok but not needed.
    Great idea to do the slant. The mini bench seat style or factory console option that was not.
    Slanted plate allows for options like power points, switches, etc.
    The Mustang version of a Ranger one. Just like the Miata.
    Could eventually fab a new one piece plate for shifter and the new end.
    Leather grain pattern ABS, thin hobby wood, thin metal, to match shape and cutout of shifter trim, extended back at angle down to carpet.
    Or cover gaps with trim options say carpet, fabric, vinyl wrap samples, flock to match dash.
    Have used the super glue and sand, soda trick to detail fill gaps. Hot melt glue can too.
    Hobby shop fillers, auto body spot putty. Lots of next level custom options.

https://www.parts-express.com/abs-te...iABEgI1PPD_BwE