Close

Default 5.0 swap questions

I have a '86 LTD wagon that is my daily driver. It only has 30k something original miles but the CFI 3.8 v6 has low oil pressure and is hard to start when it's hot. The check engine (oil pressure) light pulses on and off and there is a knock when at a stoplight when it's hot. I've been driving it this way for probably 8 months. It takes me forever to work on things with my job and kids so I thought I would fix it up someday, I just didn't want to get into that big of a project right now. I just started thinking yesterday because of the Coronavirus I'll be working from home for at least the next two months, and not having to go anywhere now would be the time to take care of at least the engine so I can keep driving it, and not have to do an emergency car buy at some point.

Here's what I have:
    5.0 GT40 (not P) from an explorer w/ 120k miles
    Front accessories
    Explorer intake
    AL9 computer
    Edelbrock Performer 289 intake
    Edlebrock 500cfm carb
    T5
    Shorty headers
    Mac H-Pipe
    Brand new Factory 5.0 LX catback system

What I would really like to end up with is EFI and a T5 or a 4R70W, still undecided. My commute is 50 miles every day mostly highway and in traffic. If I did the T5 I would get a hydraulic clutch to make the pedal pressure as light as possible like a Honda.

For simplification I'm wondering if I can just take the 3.8 out and bolt the 5.0 to the C5 that's in the car and use a carburetor?
    Will the engine bolt up to the bellhousing and torque converter? What would I need to do to the fuel tank to not use the fuel pumps?

Also, since the A/C will not work right now, not sure what's wrong with it, can I use the A/C compressor from a fox mustang and convert all this to R134a?

Sorry for so many questions, just wondering about the best way to do this and have it actually get finished.
    Last edited by 68P51; 04-10-2020 at 07:33 AM.

Well first, glad you are still working.

We had to notch/drill V6 cross-member to get 5.0 MM's to fit.

I would not waste my time with single exh. stang h-pipes fit and
    dual exh fits with about a foot or so extensions between h-pipe and
    "cat-back" duals (at least with sedan, wagon may be even longer).

Tailpipes were a hair short, but we put SS tips on them
    so they stick out almost even with rear bumper.

Explorer front dress sits farther back, no sure if that will work well
    with stock 5.0 fan/shroud/rad placement. Could go electric.

No, typical 86+ AC compressor is different than AC compressor
    with explorer front dress.....

This is typical stang

vs explorer
    Last edited by OX1; 04-10-2020 at 08:01 AM.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Right now I'm still working, if this keeps up a whole lot longer I probably won't be.

Thank you! Nice ride you got there!

I forgot to specify the front accessories I have are from a late Fox Mustang, not Explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by 68P51 View Post
    I have a '86 LTD wagon that is my daily driver. It only has 30k something original miles but the CFI 3.8 v6 has low oil pressure and is hard to start when it's hot. The check engine (oil pressure) light pulses on and off and there is a knock when at a stoplight when it's hot. I've been driving it this way for probably 8 months. It takes me forever to work on things with my job and kids so I thought I would fix it up someday, I just didn't want to get into that big of a project right now. I just started thinking yesterday because of the Coronavirus I'll be working from home for at least the next two months, and not having to go anywhere now would be the time to take care of at least the engine so I can keep driving it, and not have to do an emergency car buy at some point.

Here's what I have:
    5.0 GT40 (not P) from an explorer w/ 120k miles
    Front accessories
    Explorer intake
    AL9 computer
    Edelbrock Performer 289 intake
    Edlebrock 500cfm carb
    T5
    Shorty headers
    Mac H-Pipe
    Brand new Factory 5.0 LX catback system

What I would really like to end up with is EFI and a T5 or a 4R70W, still undecided. My commute is 50 miles every day mostly highway and in traffic. If I did the T5 I would get a hydraulic clutch to make the pedal pressure as light as possible like a Honda.

For simplification I'm wondering if I can just take the 3.8 out and bolt the 5.0 to the C5 that's in the car and use a carburetor?
    Will the engine bolt up to the bellhousing and torque converter? What would I need to do to the fuel tank to not use the fuel pumps?

Also, since the A/C will not work right now, not sure what's wrong with it, can I use the A/C compressor from a fox mustang and convert all this to R134a?

Sorry for so many questions, just wondering about the best way to do this and have it actually get finished.
    If you end up going with a carb, I have a brand new carb gas tank that came with my car when I bought it.
    I would be willing to give you that tank for free, or trade it for your EFI tank if you end up going in that direction.
    I have no use for the carb tank, and it’s brand new and I would rather give it to someone who can use it, than to throw it away.
    Plus I am looking for an EFI tank.
    Let me know if this is agreeable to you.
    Thanks!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Right now I'm still working, if this keeps up a whole lot longer I probably won't be.

Thank you! Nice ride you got there!

I forgot to specify the front accessories I have are from a late Fox Mustang, not Explorer.
    Thanks!!!

Then you are good to go with "stang" AC compr.........
    Will need all new lines, obviously. I'm not sure if condensor
    is the same, we got a new one made for a 5.0.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Massacre,

I'm pretty sure I have an extra tank for this car that I ended up not using. When I bought this car it did not run very good and I had bought a fairmont that had a rusted out tank. I assumed this one might have the same problem, when I took it out it was so clean I almost would eat out of it. So I put the new one back in the box. I don't know if I'm going to go carb yet but I think we could probably work something out. Send me a PM.

Massacre,

I'm pretty sure I have an extra tank for this car that I ended up not using. When I bought this car it did not run very good and I had bought a fairmont that had a rusted out tank. I assumed this one might have the same problem, when I took it out it was so clean I almost would eat out of it. So I put the new one back in the box. I don't know if I'm going to go carb yet but I think we could probably work something out. Send me a PM.
    Awesome, thanks!

I have a new tank on order, supposed to come from Summit. But it has been back ordered for a few weeks. Supposed to arrive to them today. I’ll call later today and see what’s up.
    I’ll PM you once I find out the info, thanks again
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

And yes the 5.0 will bolt to the C5 I ran that way for a bit but recently swapped to a 4R70W.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr Z7 w/87' 5.0/C4 EFI intercooled twin turbo power

1984 Ford LTD wagon w/87' 5.0/4R70W EFI nitrous outlet X-series

There is a fine line between a hobby ...and mental illness.

Pics of that low mileage wagon and all of those parts would be awesome. The best way to do the swap is with a complete donor car. Carb is gonna be simpler than EFI. I went the EFI route with a Ford aftermarket wiring harness which is no longer available.

Thanks for the replies. I have gotten nowhere with this. Well, I have acquired a few more parts and done a lot of other work to the car, but it's still trudging along with the CFI v6. I still have a few more things to do to the car and parts to collect before I attempt the swap.

I have decided on going EFI for sure. Just not sure if the A9L or Holley. I want the Holley for the dash and easy programability but don't like that it doesn't do MAF.

I want to get a lighter k-member, but don't want to lower the car any and don't want any increased NVH so will probably just stick with the stock K-member.

When doing the swap is it easier to go with Explorer front dress and accessories, or fox body? I basically have access to both, just not sure which would line up and bolt in better. Will an aluminum mustang radiator bolt in or should I keep the one that's in there?

It looks like the battery and solenoid are on the opposite side of the engine bay from a mustang. I was wanting to use a stock mustang airbox. Someone told me the intake upper would bolt on the opposite direction. Is anyone aware of a detailed swap thread from an Explorer to an LTD (not mustang)?

If you have the larger 11.4" bolt circle convertor then a late model flexplate for an AOD works fine. The 50 ounce unbalance '88 Mustang 5.0 or a '00 Explorer with the 5.0 are all good sources.

It looks like the battery and solenoid are on the opposite side of the engine bay from a mustang. I was wanting to use a stock mustang airbox. Someone told me the intake upper would bolt on the opposite direction. Is anyone aware of a detailed swap thread from an Explorer to an LTD (not mustang)?

Quote Originally Posted by LTDScott View Post
    Aight well I'm not going to take photos of every page (my parents have a scanner) but here's the first page:

Hi res version here: http://www.ltdlx.org/gallery/archive/DSCN6597?full=1

Quote Originally Posted by EXPOfoo85LTD_LX View Post
    No problem man! I know how it is to ask a question on here and get 101 responses with other opinions and bs, but not one answer to the question at hand. Trust me, this is a simple conversion that doesn't require a lot of modification, if any. I mean, in the end you can make anything work on any application in theory, it just depends on the persons skill level. Let me know if you have any other questions on the swap.

Mike

On the 180 degree swap

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Not true at all. My mate did an 86 SEFi swap in his 1979. Battery stays in stock postion.

The MAF sensor cars are very limited in where the MAF and air box can go, but the whole manifold in the 1992 Mustang 225 hp and the later 215 and 235 hp Explorer 5.0 engines are able to be turned 180 degrees.

So no battery swap is required. Its just the ISC wiring that needs Corrective action, 99% most of the 60 wire pinouts are perfect.

The SEFi is easier, much easier, than the "carb" labotomy.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    180 degree intake switch.

possible because the EFi intakes, like V8 heads, are NOT handed....

All the 1985 on 5.0 and 1988 on 5.8 EFi trucks had it

All Australian Windsor 5.0 HO OHV's had the swap

351 w by Jack Roush in the 1991 Melburne Showcar 5.8 liter Falcon

The Lightening 5.8 truck too

Stock Aussie Import Explorer V8 with intake swapped from factory, 1998 on wards AU Falcon/ Fairlane by Tickford FBT engine

5.6 liter 342 cubic inch , 335 hp Aussie Import Explorer V8 with stroker crank, rods, pistons, and 80 mm MAF intake, 2002 Falcon Pursuit 250/ T3 Tickford engine