Close

Default Door jamb switch X 2

Working on a 79 pace. Car has 2 courtesy light switches in each door jamb. The usual small metal ones, but only one green wire each, and the bigger plastic style below that. The small metal switches didnt seem to be hooked up to anything though. Does any one have any ideas why this car is setup like this? All holes and wiring appear factory.
    The white plastic switches appear to be working as they should.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

The metal door switches ground through the metal housing to the body. I believe the regular plastic switches are standard and control the overhead dome light. I believe the smaller metal switches were add ons for a convenience light group that had the extra light housings under the dash at either corner.

I believe the actual extra light housings had power to them and then the switch was the open ground when the door was closed and then grounded through the switch when the door was opened. I have seen the under dash lights on a few early Four Eyes over the years and seemed like most of the time they were inoperative or only worked intermittently in my experience.

I might be wrong on the whole deal and if so I am sure FoxChassis will post to correct me.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

As usual Trey, you have steered me in a direction I didnt know about. That explains that part a lot. I dont have the light fixtures, but considering the condition of the dash when i bought it, it's not surprising.
    Thank you
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    As usual Trey, you have steered me in a direction I didnt know about. That explains that part a lot. I dont have the light fixtures, but considering the condition of the dash when i bought it, it's not surprising.
    Thank you
    Hopefully I steered you in the right direction.

The extra courtesy lights if I remember correctly are pretty basic and look very similar to the early Mustang and general Ford courtesy/under dash lights that you might find in many Ford/Mercury/Lincoln vehicles from the 60-80's. I think my 86 Bronco even has a pair under the dash. I might be able to get a picture of tomorrow.

I have considered adding the extra lights to a couple of my Foxes, but generally the poor vehicle needs a lot of other work before that is an issue.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 04-09-2020 at 01:33 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I think I know the lights you're talking about. They ground to the metal of the dash iirc. So one wire would be all I need.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132