Close

FEP Member

Default Whole lot of suspension curiousity

So I started doing a little research with my down time into dealing with some of the sub par suspension components that my SVO currently has (like the Monroe? struts and shocks) while I wait out this quarantine, and now I’ve got some questions I hope you can answer.

A) I’ve got a set of SN95 control arms already waiting in the wings. Some people I saw were saying the front swaybar won’t be as effective with those. Should I consider snagging an aftermarket sway bar meant for an SN95?

B) While we’re on the subject of SN95 style parts, I saw somewhere that the red Konis at full hard and the SN95 Orange konis are about the same stiffness. Given the cost differential and this being a primarily handling vehicle for me, would I run into any issues with offset or otherwise by changing to the 87-93 spindles up front and running the Orange SN95 style Koni struts and shocks? I’ve currently got a set of 2008 Crown Vic steelies (17x7.5, et43) on the car with a 5mm spacer that barely clears the strut.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

FEP Member

For some reason I forgot Koni made an orange shock for the 87-93 cars, so I’d be using those instead of the SN95 shocks potentially. Still have the same question though, namely does the 87-93 spindle change the offset or anything or would that not be a problem?

The SVO spindle and front control arms are from the Lincoln Continental and are unique on the Fox Mustang. They also required a unique front strut. The original SVO red strut was an single adjustable strut while the current Koni Orange strut for the 87-93 cars is non adjustable. The rear SVO red shocks were adjustable also. So just on comparison of the strut/shocks the Orange would be an improvement over your Monroes, but not the same quality as the OEM setup.

The issue you are going to run into is the SVO is unique and different than all other Fox Mustangs in many ways. Once you start swapping parts, you really start altering the geometry of the suspension. Can you swap and install different spindles, struts, control arms, etc. Absolutely but I would highly recommend doing some additional research to understand the differences of the SVO parts and the benefits in their own right. Think of the suspension as a package and understand that swapping one or two parts out of that package may create a suspension package that doesn't handle/ride any better than the previous version even if the "new" parts are "better". In some cases the ride and handling may actually be worse.

The SVO when properly set up with good quality bushings, bearings, ball joints, etc. is a pretty decent handling Fox Mustang. Does it compete with a SN95 or a new Mustang. Probably not in many ways, but it's still a fun car to go corner carving in and still rides pretty well around town too. Especially with the ability to adjust the struts and shocks. Can you make improvements with some simple stuff such as poly urethane bushings in the control arms and sway bars, sure. Depending on the condition of your front ball joints, I would seriously consider it. Once you go down the rabbit hole with modifying/swapping parts it can become a never ending process. Yes, that is experience talking and it has bitten me in the butt a time a two.

I don't know what your ultimate or long term plans for this vehicle are. Only you can decide what that is. I will say that if the ultimate handling SVO is your goal, then save yourself some time and frustration and just order everything from the Maximum Motorsports catalog that will fit your car and that will be a heck of a starting point and will give you an excellent handling SVO/FOX. If you are like many of us that either just can't afford that option or don't want to for other reasons. Then I would recommend getting as much seat time in the SVO as possible and decide what areas need the additional attention to get you were you want to be with your goals. I don't know what your bench mark is in regards to handling, so hard to make comparisons. The other issue is that an SVO with subpar struts/shocks, bad bushings, bearings, etc. doesn't show its true nature and obviously will never handle comparable to most new cars in many aspects. The Fox Mustang suspension has a ton of issues in regards to overall design and geometry. Ford improved many with the SVO setup, but even that is only a minimal improvement compared to what parts such as Maximum Motorsports, Griggs Racing, Steeda, Agent 47, etc. can do for a Fox.

None of my comments are meant as criticism towards you, your SVO, or your goals. Just trying to help out a fellow FEP with 30+ years of playing with the cars and the many mistakes I have made over the years. Best of luck with your SVO!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 04-08-2020 at 08:48 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

I’m hoping to make it a reliable daily/autocross toy with decent handling. The idea with the 87-93 spindles would be to open up my shock options later down the road, as I don’t feel comfortable dropping the coin on the reds that they cost when there’s so many other (better) options among the later style spindles. I’ve got shot ball joints currently and since ive already got a set of SN95 arms and braided lines waiting to go on I figured why not ask if this was feasible while I was at it

I am not sure there are "better" struts and shocks for less coin than the SVO Reds. Yes, there are more options for the 87-04 spindles, so that can be a benefit. In regards to Koni, the Double adjustable struts would be the next "better" strut/shock compared to the Reds so similar pricing with some benefits.

If you are going autocrossing then I am going to want to better brakes, so now I am swapping to the 94/95 SN95 struts with Cobra front brakes, but now I have to swap out the rear SVO brakes to balance the system and swap M/C.

The SN95 front control arms are going to require aftermarket front springs, but again if you want to autocross then you probably want that anyway.

The 87-93 front spindles will have less Ackerman steering than the SVO spindles so that is a negative in regards to handling, so consider that.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

The difference in steering might not be something I want, and someone just popped up with cheap 94-95 SN95 spindles I think I’ll snag. Depending on what I see when the spindles get here I might try and either go cobra rotors/C5 calipers (heard they’ve got bigger pads) or make my 03-11 crown vic calipers work that I’ve got sitting in my garage. Between the SVO master cylinder and braided brake lines it might be a little stiff but that’s not something I mind.

When I upgraded my SVO's entire front suspension I read a lot of forums but in the end I read Maximum Motorsports FAQ & Tech tips along with reaching out to Jack when I was ready to order pats from them (just to double check that I was getting the correct part for what I was doing).

Link --> https://www.maximummotorsports.com/F...Tips-C588.aspx
    1986 SVO 1E (IRS'd and too much $$ spent making it turn, stop, and go)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...esto-Mod-Build

1979 Pace Car #2179 (Gathering parts for GT500 5.8, T56, and t-top swap)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...84#post1944184