Close

Default Power Steering Pump and Lines AN Conversion

Hi all,

I noticed that my power steering rack is starting to leak from the inner tie rods so I was thinking about replacing the rack with a reman one. The question I have is since I have it out maybe I would convert my power steering lines to -6AN lines. I saw that Maximum Motorsports sells adapter fittings for the rack portion but what will I need to go to a AN fitting at the power steering pump? Mine is a 1985 GT

I also think that at the same time I will replace the factory cooler line with a power steering radiator. I saw a universal 10 row on amazon that comes with AN fittings. Has anyone used one of these before with success?
    Name:  61uaKor2kKL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  67.3 KB

Any advice would be appreciated. I tried searching for this info but havent had much luck

Your pressure hose fitting might take an o ring, I remember using one on my P/S pump to convert to 6AN pressure hose. My pump was ‘96-04 version tho.
    I’ll see if I can find a pic
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Found a pic, but it’s hard to see where it attaches to the pump itself.
    it’s a 90 degree fitting that has an o ring, but also has a nut on it. You thread it in until it’s at the correct angle (I had to remove my pulley for this) and then tighten down the nut to seat the o ring.

Name:  6809NWO44.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  44.8 KB
    https://midlandindustries.com/produc...o+O-Ring+Elbow

Looks kinda like this ^^^ on the pump side. Except mine was a male 6AN fitting to take the 90 degree swivel AN hose fitting.

Name:  img2559d.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  181.4 KB
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

that’s a sweet cooler

I know your pump is different than mine but it might be similar
    hope this helps
    Last edited by massacre; 04-03-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Hey thanks that helps. I also just stumbled on a write up on another site where one guy said "used a Russell 16mm x 1.5 with a large surface under that I put a modified -6an nylon washer to seal against the pump fitting" I don't want to modify but at least if I know the size I can try to find the correct fitting with a seal on it

Glad it helped
    like I said
    a different pump but possibly similar fittings
    I could go through and find my size fittings but it might not even be pertinent

If you scroll down, you’ll see that they have a pretty good selection of fittings available

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/hose_fittings.html

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    If you scroll down, you’ll see that they have a pretty good selection of fittings available

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/hose_fittings.html
    Thanks that's perfect they have exactly the fitting I'm looking for. And not bad pricing either. I think that was the last piece of the puzzle.