Close

Default 1984 mustang v8 5 speed oem brake rotor question

Hi, i just recently uncovered my 1984 mustang gt350 after 12 years of sitting. Long story short I have to redo the front brakes because of flash rusting from humidity in storage. does anyone know the original part# for v8 5 speed (rotors). Im finding conflicting information, thers a few sets available on ebay Part# f1zz-1102-b. The seller specifically says they are for 4 and 6 cylinder (not v8. Another guy has same part# and the compatability chart says fits my car (1984 gt350 v8 5 speed) not sure I trust the compatability chart. Ive been out of the fox body mustang scene for awhile was big into them back in the early 2000's. Back then you could still go on the oem parts websites and get exploded views of parts weather discontinued or not. Seems like ford changed their system. a lot different than I remember. When I go on ford parts giant, they only show the part# f1zz-1102-b again. but does say 4 and 6., i dint see it saying v8 anywhere? does anyone have a clue if theres a different part#.

Thanks in advance

If the F1Z rotor is for a 1991-93 4-cyl it will fit your G.T.350. V8 did not get a larger rotor until 1987.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Super Member

Why not have the rotors turned ?
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

My 86GT had a thicker rotor and a thinner pad setup factory. Not sure about 84 or 85 or when Ford did that. I bought the correct stuff through NAPA the first few times I redid my brakes in the 90’s.

The 4 cyl stuff - pads and rotors together - fit just fine. They actually work better in my experience too because they don’t retain as much heat.

Anyone who knows me from my younger years knows I was the take her up to 140 and set the cruise type for a several years in there. Needless to say I burnt up more than my share of brakes ..... 7 sets in one summer alone back in “the day”

Get a good high end set of pads. Something with some ceramic and carbon fiber in it. Night and day better stopping vs semi-metallic. Almost as good as the old as the Asbestos brakes they came with originally. Factor in the better fluids and lines we have available today and there’s a chance of making one of these cars stop sometime today from speed.

Flash rust won't hurt a thing. Everytime you park a car for a week here the rotors rust.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

My car set for 16-17 years before I got it from a good friend that had it in covered storage, though not conditioned. It still has the same pads, shoes, rotors, and drums from when he parked it in 1994 today and I didn't turn the steel parts.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Member

You might check tirerack, They had some hawk pads for the best price I found over winter.

Default Thanks for the replys

Quote Originally Posted by Nvk84gt350 View Post
    Hi, i just recently uncovered my 1984 mustang gt350 after 12 years of sitting. Long story short I have to redo the front brakes because of flash rusting from humidity in storage. does anyone know the original part# for v8 5 speed (rotors). Im finding conflicting information, thers a few sets available on ebay Part# f1zz-1102-b. The seller specifically says they are for 4 and 6 cylinder (not v8. Another guy has same part# and the compatability chart says fits my car (1984 gt350 v8 5 speed) not sure I trust the compatability chart. Ive been out of the fox body mustang scene for awhile was big into them back in the early 2000's. Back then you could still go on the oem parts websites and get exploded views of parts weather discontinued or not. Seems like ford changed their system. a lot different than I remember. When I go on ford parts giant, they only show the part# f1zz-1102-b again. but does say 4 and 6., i dint see it saying v8 anywhere? does anyone have a clue if theres a different part#.

Thanks in advance
    Thanks for the replys, Im going to look into having them turned. They still have alot of meat on them. I may even see if they will just clean up with a 3m pad.

Any surface rust on the rotor pad contact area will get scrubbed off by the pads when braking or should.
    Rust also can reveal any abnormal pad contact issue by what stays rusty and what shines up from pad contact pattern.
    Been a long time since i worked at the counter. We turned rotors. I did not but watched. Weekends, got stacked up with work.
    Machine ran for hours, dedicated operator. Never forgot the tool sound when starting the cutting. Chee chee chee, chee..
    They usually did two cuts, last one was real light.
    One rotor was brought in with only one surface side, bare fins showing on other. "Wife said she heard noise..."
    Resurfacing rotors will smooth them up and can correct any run out from spec.
    Be sure to remove the bearings and grease before taking them in for machining.
    The shop hates to remove them and the grease will pick up shavings from the cuts.
    They do mike the rotor thickness, runout, before and after, or should.
    Machine can be set for cut depth. Several light passes are better than deep hogging to save time.
    Drop them off if not in a hurry because turning takes time especially when busy and even done in house.
    Buy new ones and keep turned ones as spare set.