Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Impressive. Just shows what can be accomplished when you put your mind to it.
    Thanks for the kind words!

I was able to get it pretty much all welded up today. Had to go back and weld up some more pinholes, and of course there was one in the corner and I can’t reach it with my grinder now that the stovepipe is welded in place. Still have to tack weld a bracket up under there, I think for the top of the pedal box.
    I poured a bunch of water over it, and it all came out the side, no leaks into the interior so once it’s seam sealed it should be good.

Fired up the new pressure washer and gave it a spray down and let it dry in the sun. Wire brush, lacquer thinner and 1 quick coat of Eastwood rust encapsulator platinum. I chose the platinum because it can be painted over rust, as well as bare metal since the welded in piece is not rusted.

It doesn’t look great, but I am reasonably certain that it will not leak again any time soon, once the seam sealer is applied.
    I will let this coat cure, then scuff it up and apply a second coat, as well as get the cowl cover prepped and encapsulate that too. Then apply seam sealer generously and prob will topcoat it black. It looks like it came black from the factory.

Name:  OTLIPU.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  124.8 KB

Feels good to get to this point.
    This was a very involved, unexpected repair. I was aware of the frame rail and 2 small holes in the floor when I bought the car, so this was kind of a kick in the balls. But hopefully the hardest part is over and everything else goes a little easier lol
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

That's about the story of my life... I'm still pretty shocked how rust free my wagon really is. It's got a little cancer around the rear tail lights, but that's it. Glad to see you got it fixed. That's one those repairs that would cause most others to give up, and that I usually get for real cheap!

That cowl rust repair looks impressive, great job!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Very impressive work, looks like it came out great!
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Thanks guys for the kind words!
    Not my best work but it will do lol
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Put a second coat of rust encapsulator on the bottom cowl piece today, after scuffing it up 48hrs later.
    Also was able to get both sides of the top cowl section in rust encapsulator and painted body color.

Before:

Name:  KKUiwQ.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  129.2 KB

After:

Name:  qgNCFA.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  92.2 KB

i masked it off on the top so with the cowl grille installed, this should not be immediately apparent.

Name:  jtendF.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  kzMmcl.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  112.3 KB

Name:  wYx5ni.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  84.9 KB

After seam sealer, and some black paint.
    weld thru primer should be here tomorrow. Then I can spray the flanges and start clamping the cowl top back on the car and start welding it back into position.

Excellent work. As a side does anyone know of replacement cowl grilles for F/Z?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by endub View Post
    Excellent work. As a side does anyone know of replacement cowl grilles for F/Z?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Thank you!

i don’t know about the cowl grilles tho sorry

Started putting my cowl back together today.

everything is lining up pretty well, a little persuasion needed here and there to get it dead nuts.
    Have to go slow so only 10 or 12 plug welds so far. Welded on all sides.
    no oil canning
    I threw the grille on just to see if it still fits.
    it does

Name:  JHTqzC.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  210.9 KB

I might try the TIG welder tomorrow. The zinc spattered quite a bit
    Last edited by massacre; 06-08-2020 at 06:53 PM.

TIg was worse. Had success using MIG with aluminum chill plate underneath. Metal is thin but need decent heat to make full penetration welds.
    if I had to do it over again I would have just brushed on some expoxy primer instead.

I was worried about the cowl being straight and the hood closing and fenders lining up.
    Just being paranoid I guess, it should be fine since all the plug welds lined up.
    But the hood hinges from there and we all know metal can shrink and move from welding.

Hung the fenders and hood, and it’s not perfect but it is good enough, in fact I think it lines up better than it did before lmao. There is still plenty of adjustment to get it a little closer to perfect. The car was hit and the fenders are not 100% straight as it is.

Name:  e9d8Pw.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  237.6 KB Name:  GtwmQh.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  155.7 KB

It’s nice to see some parts on the car finally. Even just for a test fit. Car has been sitting apart for months, making very slow progress with this cowl repair and I was starting to get discouraged. This has renewed my faith and interest in the car, I can’t wait to get this repair done and get a windshield in it!

I do still have 2 small repairs on the floorboards in the front corners to contend with, but they are small enough to do later once the car is running.

Congrats on a huge victory! Looks great.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Congrats on a huge victory! Looks great.
    Thank you very much!
    I appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    I was worried about the cowl being straight and the hood closing and fenders lining up.
    Just being paranoid I guess, it should be fine since all the plug welds lined up.
    But the hood hinges from there and we all know metal can shrink and move from welding.

Hung the fenders and hood, and it’s not perfect but it is good enough, in fact I think it lines up better than it did before lmao. There is still plenty of adjustment to get it a little closer to perfect. The car was hit and the fenders are not 100% straight as it is.

Name:  e9d8Pw.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  237.6 KB Name:  GtwmQh.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  155.7 KB

It’s nice to see some parts on the car finally. Even just for a test fit. Car has been sitting apart for months, making very slow progress with this cowl repair and I was starting to get discouraged. This has renewed my faith and interest in the car, I can’t wait to get this repair done and get a windshield in it!

I do still have 2 small repairs on the floorboards in the front corners to contend with, but they are small enough to do later once the car is running.
    Nice work there! You running that factory K member, or going with something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouqet View Post
    Nice work there! You running that factory K member, or going with something else?
    Thanks!
    K member is Team Z

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Looks like it came out great!
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Looks like it came out great!
    Thank you!

so tomorrow a new windshield is supposed to get installed, which will bring me to the point that I was at a couple months ago. Really looking forward to getting back to this project and finally moving forward.

The windshield is usually installed later in the final line assy sequence.
    When the windshield is out, is the perfect time to install the headliner thru the opening.
    No bending of it thru the door.

Factories still do it this way, seen during the F-150 factory tour in Dearborn.
    Also way back in the 70's during my brief stint on a Chrysler final line.
    More or less after the install of dash assy, steering wheel, main wire harness, headliner.
    Before carpet, seats, interior trim.

I was thinking about putting the headliner in now, before the windshield is installed like you said.
    but my headliner is in horrible shape and I am prob going to run it without a headliner for now.
    Prob should have thought if that, but have been busy trying to get the cowl back together which to me takes priority.
    Thanks for the suggestion tho, much appreciated!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123