Close

Default Trickflow twisted wedge 170 heads

Hello!

Curious if anyone has ran these heads with stock push rods? I wonder if I can run them without any issues? I have heads and intake for my 86 just haven’t put them on yet for not knowing if stock pushrods will work as well as stock roller lifters. 1.6 rocker arms...

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have them on my 86 shortblock with stock cam, and 1.7 Scorpion RR's.
    You should be using an adj length pushrod and solid lifter to determine best
    pattern with correct pre-load, then order pushrods after you figure that out.

IIRC, I used 6.750 length pushrods. It was the thinnest pattern, which does not always
    end up centered on valvestem.

Here are the rest of the patterns with different length pushrods.

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/CAPRI/M...TRAIN/PATTERN/
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

The simple answer is no, you can't use them. Not because of length, but stock ones are not hardened to work with guide plates (and those rockers require guide plates). Since you have to buy new ones, you might as well do it right, measure them with the tool, then order the appropriate pushrods.

Kenny

When I installed these heads on my 86 I also ran the whole kit (cam an intake) and TrickFlow supplied the correct pushrods for this application. I would suggest you contact them and get the correct advice.

It's just a mandatory step that you should check for the correct pushrod length with an adjustable tool any time you install non-stock heads and valvetrain components. My GT-40P heads required different length pushrods even though they're factory (for an Explorer) heads. I'd just spend the little bit of extra time and cost for the tool to check and make sure it's done right.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

Hardened push rods are mandatory with guide plates. Mine took 6.450, I think....SD cam, 1.7s. The sweep was dead centre of the valve tip with those.

I installed some in my 83. The instructions I had for them had recommended push rod lengths:

Hydraulic roller 6.750"
    Hydraulic flat tappet 7.300"

Good luck!