Close

Thread: Fouled Plugs

New User

Default Fouled Plugs

I am the original owner of a 1983 GT convertible with about 95000 miles. It has no modifications other than a new Summit Carb. I drive it about once a month for 10 to 20 miles each time. About 3 months ago it started running rough so I changed the plugs and it ran fine for a while. After a month or so it ran rough again so I inspected the front 4 plugs and they were all full of carbon. One plug had a piece of carbon across the electrode. I wiped the plugs clean and it runs fine again. The plugs are going to get fouled again. Any suggestions? Valve guides?

Sounds like you're just running rich. Is it only the front 4 cylinders or do all of them have carbon buildup?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I agree, running rich. Why did you not rebuild the original 4180c carb?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Something else to check - Are the distributor and rotor original? My original distributor had aluminum posts and a wire ended rotor. The wire on the end of rotor burned off and the aluminum posts were always severely corroded. I made an extended trip one day and bought gas for the return trip from a company that starts with B and P. When I got to my destination the engine was missing severely. I pulled plugs and most were black and one was totally shorted out. I blamed the gas until I opened the distributor and found there was virtually no way for voltage to get to the spark plug. Bought a rotor and lived with the distributor for a few years by cleaning the posts. Finally replaced both with:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8482/make/ford

Been working good ever since.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

New User

Thanks for your advice. I checked the back plugs and they appear to be fine, no significant carbon buildup. I checked the distributor and its old with a little buildup on the 8 posts but not too bad. I'll replace it later. I'll readjust the carb first.

BTW, the original 4180 was rebuilt many times and the threads to the pump became trashed and I couldn't find a replacement side plate so I went with a new Summit 650.