Close

Default Exhaust recommendations needed plz

Hi All
    Am resurrecting my 86 GT 'vert that has been sitting for the past few years. What originally sidelined it was a random loud rattle while running, sounding like someone shaking a large bolt inside a coffee can. Turns out it's internal to the converter(s) on the aftermarket H-pipe that was installed by P.O. back in 2004. Can't make out the reciept but it may be a Dynomax. Anyway, would like to stay with a catted H-pipe but can only seem to find BBK brand, which seem to have a questionable rep. Really don't want an X pipe or an offroad pipe, the latter not so much due to emissions but the appearance of cats in the system. Engine has been rebuilt and is running an Edelbrock upper/lower, E-303 (I think), Flowtech shorties, and mass air conversion. Any suggestions for a replacement, other than BBK or a stock 4-cat unit? If it comes to it, i may try to hollow this one out, but that's a last resort. Thanks in advance.
    ...Matt
    86 GT vert
    86 LX vert
    86 coupe

I never had a problem with my BBK cats.
    I see that you're in Mass

As of ?2? years ago, in Mass, even the non-smog tested cars need to meet 100% factory/CARB emission standards.
    Also, there's video monitoring and recording (saved at the RMV) of every inspection, multiple cameras.

Of course, the inspection technician is a person, so the actual amount of detail that gets checked varies a lot.
    And, people retire, get sick, etc. So, an easy inspection technician, or garage, may not be there in the near future.

Note, Conn is very similar. :-P

With the above said, you may do what I decided to do, swear a lot, and buy the only CARB approved 4-cat setup($$).
    Imho, it's one less thing that I ever have to worry about. And, neither I, nor anyone else, would notice the ?~3HP? loss.
    For NEW cat setups, for non track cars, there is very little difference in power or gas mileage.

Imho, it comes down to cost ($$) and sound (h-pipe vs x-pipe).

Good Luck!

FYI:
    For those of us not in CA, we can use the 49-State version. It's ~$707 at Amazon. :-O
    I bought mine last year for $600.

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/9...ytic-converter

MagnaFlow Standard Grade Federal / EPA Compliant Direct-Fit Catalytic Converter

https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-933.../dp/B000JKPHI6
    MagnaFlow 93332 Direct Fit Catalytic Converter (Non CARB compliant)
    by MagnaFlow Exhaust Products
    Price: $707.99

Stainless steel construction
    Federal emissions compliant design
    Formulated for gas and diesel applications
    Seam welded close to the converter body for a strong, tight bond
    Made in U.S.A.

I just checked, Stangmods still has the 49-state 4-cat setup for $599!
    That is where I bought mine. :-)

https://www.stangmods.com/Magnaflow-...5-0-p/4805.htm

Regular Price $734.07
    Sale Price $599.99
    Manufacturer Part # 93332
    Availability: Usually Ships in 24 to 48 Hours

Good Luck!

FEP Senior Member

I always love an off road h with 2 chamber Flowmaster....pretty old school but nothing beats the sound.

Thanks for the help. I wanted to go with offroad H pipe but don't need issues down the line so Magnaflow it is!
    86 GT vert
    86 LX vert
    86 coupe