Close

Default $22,145.30 invested............

You know how many claim $25K, $35k, $85K invested.
    Or they say "too much to list".

Well here is the list for the LTD, and it really is $22,145.30 or (little of both)

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/DADSLTD...AR%202020.xlsx
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Congratulations or My Sincere Condolences depending on how you feel about it.

I don't ever do any tabulations or calculations on what I spend on my project cars. I would most likely depress me or make my wife want to kill me if there was any actual documentary evidence of my spending.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yeah, I stopped after a while when my wife started asking questions
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Remember, its all about the "Fun" of doing it. Very few cars are investments and the ones that are you probably can't afford anyway!!
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

An investment has an expectation of profit. Very few of these "Investments" people spend on their vehicle ever make a profit!

That money was NOT INVESTED.

IT WAS MONEY SPENT!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

I raced stock cars for 8 years, kept most of the receipts. A friend told me not to add it up until it quit being fun. Eight years later it was hauled away on a trailer and 2 full pickups of spare parts, I sat down at the 10 key.

I quit adding when the first year hit $10,000... I didn't need to know anymore. I don't regret it, but you almost never make a profit playing with cars. I have learned to just enjoy them and stick to a monthly budget. I could have worse habits!

Enjoy your ride, don't worry about the costs.
    Kenny

The thing is, you get to enjoy building it, and then enjoy driving it after you build it! The “profit” is enjoying the process and enjoying the finished product imho
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I was one who also tracked what I spent on the car, it was in the neighborhood of $25k. I'd probably have trouble getting $3k if I sold it so not exactly a good investment. But I have no plans to ever sell it and the memories of building and racing it were worth the cost to me.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Yeah, if I was ever looking to make a profit, probably shouldn't have started with a FOX LTD, LOL!!
    It was kind of fun to go through, remembering all the searching we did for the "perfect" parts over 17 years.
    And now that's it's done, I thought some might like to thumb through it at car shows, if I print it out.

It all started as goof when my dad "retired" and in 2001, he got a Grand Marq for his DD.
    (my mom had an identical 86 LTD that she sold when she got her 2006 Grand Marq). My dad was going
    to sell the 84 and we were joking around, "we should drop a V-8 in this thing".

Year and half later, the initial build was "done" and he started to go to all the car shows.
    That passion became 75% of his retirement and he knows 100's of people he wold have
    never met otherwise. They go to breakfasts and dinner's, even off season.

One the earliest pics, before we even picked up an LSC for the 5 lug stuff.
    Except for the doors (finally replaced with rust free stuff only 2 years ago),
    car was in real nice shape for being his DD in NJ winters until 2003ish..

One thing I did notice. Many of the parts were from 2011-2015.
    Sometimes I only had receipts with PN's and cost. Most times, when I looked
    up the part to see what it was, today's cost was 20-40% higher than 2011-2015.
    And they keep saying inflation is low or non-existent.
    Last edited by OX1; 03-26-2020 at 07:23 AM.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

FEP Supporter

I keep all my receipts too. I also tabulated the cost of my last project in a similar spreadsheet you did. I never held anything back, I priced in consumables like sandpaper, prep related, aerosols and even some tools I had to buy. It is surprising how fast things add up and where the costs actually go! I was lucky and did pretty well for total cost. I saved a lot doing work myself including the body work and painting.

I scanned your list quick and noted you did have some pricey items but also look to have gotten a pretty good deal on most of the paint and body work. Also a lot of pricey engine parts but no labour so guess you did all the work? Imagine if you had to pay for all of that too!

These look expensive but if you got NOS must be worth it: INTERIOR CHROME NEW (BLACK) PW AND PL SWITCH COVERS 287.02

Your go-fast engine parts were almost 30% of your budget at just under $6k plus the supercharger was another $2250 Bet that feels nice when you hit the accelerator!

I had no idea re-chroming was that expensive. Was the center grill metal or plastic? BODY RE-CHROME CENTER GRILL 658.45

FEP Senior Member

I don't look at mine as an investment necessarily, but I may be able to get most or all of the cash spent back if I sold it. The time involved is just a donation. I do keep receipts and a total just to know how much I'd lose for insurance purposes. I have the write-off value at the cash spent.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

I refuse to add mine up. I probably couldn't find all the costs anyway. It's money and time spent on something fairly harmless, and I'm learning something that has real world value. It's better than drinking it or shooting it up your nose!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I keep all my receipts too. I also tabulated the cost of my last project in a similar spreadsheet you did. I never held anything back, I priced in consumables like sandpaper, prep related, aerosols and even some tools I had to buy. It is surprising how fast things add up and where the costs actually go! I was lucky and did pretty well for total cost. I saved a lot doing work myself including the body work and painting.

I scanned your list quick and noted you did have some pricey items but also look to have gotten a pretty good deal on most of the paint and body work. Also a lot of pricey engine parts but no labour so guess you did all the work? Imagine if you had to pay for all of that too!

These look expensive but if you got NOS must be worth it: INTERIOR CHROME NEW (BLACK) PW AND PL SWITCH COVERS 287.02

Your go-fast engine parts were almost 30% of your budget at just under $6k plus the supercharger was another $2250 Bet that feels nice when you hit the accelerator!

I had no idea re-chroming was that expensive. Was the center grill metal or plastic? BODY RE-CHROME CENTER GRILL 658.45
    Those switch covers were chrome with black centers. Can't buy them new. Had to get black one's and
    have outer edges "spray-chromed". Guy is not cheap.

He also did grill, which started out as LX grill, so it was
    painted. He said he could not re-chrome an original plastic chromed grill.

Some pics.

Grill was off blue LX

Guy said he had to sand each little box in 3 grades of sandpaper and then spray in many coats in every
    which way direction.

Window switch covers....

Started with this, which you can buy new

Then masked and ended up with these.......

I added mustang style PL switches to front doors where manual window crank hole was, since original LTD was that weird lock pull deal
    (also added keyless entry)

Last edited by OX1; 03-26-2020 at 12:08 PM.

Keeping a spreadsheet on a car you have a passion for is the quickest way to learn to not like it. Those small purchases add up fast.
    John Brown
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe
    Instagram @wilwaxu
    Facebook @wilwaxu

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    You know how many claim $25K, $35k, $85K invested.
    Or they say "too much to list".

Well here is the list for the LTD, and it really is $22,145.30 or (little of both)

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/DADSLTD...AR%202020.xlsx
    If you're talking about your father's White LTD LX, I've seen that in person......and it is NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    If you're talking about your father's White LTD LX, I've seen that in person......and it is NICE
    His is not an LX, but it has been to 1000's of car shows in north jersey.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I'm into my Cobra for $35K since I bought it back in 2000. That's 20 years of fun! That money covered everything from the purchase price, paint job, three sets of rear tires, two sets of front tires, 10" brake upgrade, 11" brake upgrade, a 306 engine, a 347 engine, one brand new transmission, two rebuilds on two other transmissions, all new brake lines, complete cooling system, complete ignition system, complete exhaust system, 3 clutches, all new exterior emblems, decal kit, 3 windshields, headliner, carpet, and a complete stereo system with 7 speakers, new head unit, and a 5-channel amp.

It's not an investment for me. It's a hobby and like all hobbies, you lose money when you're done. I'm enjoying it daily when the weather is nice. Whether it's a ride to work, cruise night, car show, drag racing event, etc.... It gets used and I'm not worried about the value. The fun and the people I meet are more important. I'm not saving it for the next guy!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Thanks much for starting this thread.
    Fixed my databases of the car and truck. 39 years for the car (7/8/1980), 26 years (Saturday 3/28/94) for the truck.
    Corrected missing formulas in a few cells. Did not show correct running total costs to date.
    Costs/mileage approx= car .068/mile, truck .070-.081/mile, including Ford Motor Credit financed purchase prices.
    Fuel, insurance, not included. Daily drivers now semi retired to weekly drives.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Thanks much for starting this thread.
    Fixed my databases of the car and truck. 39 years for the car (7/8/1980), 26 years (Saturday 3/28/94) for the truck.
    Corrected missing formulas in a few cells. Did not show correct running total costs to date.
    Costs/mileage approx= car .068/mile, truck .070-.081/mile, including Ford Motor Credit financed purchase prices.
    Fuel, insurance, not included. Daily drivers now semi retired to weekly drives.
    WOW!!, that's kind of crazy, but we all have our thing .
    I found another stack of receipts, so my total will be going up some after today.
    (I also don't have things in there I know are on the car, like $700 custom alum driveshaft)

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Congratulations or My Sincere Condolences depending on how you feel about it.

I don't ever do any tabulations or calculations on what I spend on my project cars. I would most likely depress me or make my wife want to kill me if there was any actual documentary evidence of my spending.

Same here.

I keep all my receipts for stuff I buy for the car but I have them all hid away and scattered apart so the wife doesn't find the mother load.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Default records are valuable

Got the idea for keeping car records from patronizing and working at dealers.
    Shipping clerk and material handling skills helped form ideas for record keeping.
    Costs, notes, to track when non-keeper vehicle may start to cost more than replacement would.
    Dealers and some repair shops can call up records on warranty and past work.
    Was a selling point for my first Ranger. Copy of it's 6 year database record was 4' of printer paper.
    Current databases now got too large to print but that is what usb sticks are for.
    Created and modded over the years, not overnite for sure.

When i got the 79 car in 1980, bought a new standard spiral notebook and ink pen. Did same with prior 2 cars.
    Drew columns to record date, mileage, description of task and part number, cost. The basics.
    Later in the 90's and pc's, created same with Microsoft databases. A safer, easier way. Paper can get torn, wet.
    Separate file for each vehicle. 1428 record lines for the Cobra, 961 for the Ranger. Plus area for parts i stock at home.
    With records now on a pc, very easy to run a search, say for air cleaner, oil, brake change details.
    A solid way to keep track of maintenance and repairs long term.
    Program and computer have paid for themselves helping keep the vehicles on the road.
    Files are part of a weekly pc backup to a usb hd. And are copied onto backup pc #2.
    Just thought- May copy car files to usb sticks too.

Columns- mile/date/product, problem, task/location/time units/costs/notes/cost to date/cost per mile
    Added gps running total mile column for both, hour meter (now 10057) readings from the truck.
    Cell formulas were/are created as needed. Plus using fonts that i like to see. Fun project.
    Another is my MustangGas file. Date, gallons bought. Then have more columns with formulas for 20, 22, etc mpg.
    This is a double check to track miles on the clock and state of tune. Gal x (xx) mpg.

Receipts for lifetime warranties kept in file cabinet with axle, trans tags. Separate drawer for each vehicle.
    Receipts, say for oil, small purchases, are not saved. Would require bins and unnecessary clutter.
    Three ring binders keep part instruction sheets, data sheets, factory stickers, tags, stored inside sheet protectors.
    Shop manuals in bookcase.

Also, with smart phone camera, now take pics of repairs, details.
    JPG pic files, web pages and general data are saved into a non data base folder titled with the car name.
    Last edited by gr79; 03-27-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Damn sure are a lot of people here on Foureyepride who are willing to work for FREE!

I'm hiring talented, knowledgeable, motivated and hard working people who work for FREE.

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner provided.

Maybe beer IF you work hard during your 12 hour shift.

Benefits?

MY PROJECTS git finished much quicker and at a price which will ultimately make them a true INVESTMENT GUARANTYING ME A PROFIT!

Apply online HERE thru PM.

Positions filling QUICKLY!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 03-29-2020 at 09:51 AM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com