Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Drivetrain off centre

Good evening everyone, I have a 79 pace car build underway. Last week, while my oldest son was off work (coved 19), he built me a set of wooden lift stands. The good news is they work great, the bad news is that I should have built them before.

When I looked I underneath the car, I noticed the drivetrain is approximately 1” to the passenger side of the car. My question is whether this is normal or not. Does anyone know either way?

Thanks everyone.

Patrick

I've seen on motor plates they come with a "stock" 3/4" offset or no offset when ordering.

However, I am interesting in see what people that know way more then me have to say about it.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

It's pretty common on these stamped out cars that things don't quite line up. These cars were born with all the precision of a five pound sledgehammer. As long as the thrust lines front and rear are the same, it doesn't matter. It's the same on my 86 coupe. Frankly, if it were a little further to the passenger side it'd make header fitment easier.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedblind View Post
    It's pretty common on these stamped out cars that things don't quite line up. These cars were born with all the precision of a five pound sledgehammer. As long as the thrust lines front and rear are the same, it doesn't matter. It's the same on my 86 coupe. Frankly, if it were a little further to the passenger side it'd make header fitment easier.
    The engine in my 79 is one inch offset also.

Default s a

You may think that welded together stampings is not very accurate, but, they are a lot more accurate than being 1" out of center. The V8 is definitely off center.

Name:  Engine_Bay.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  101.5 KB

Here is my engine bay. You can't really tell unless you look at the air motors on the intake snorkels next to the shock towers. I was always suspicious of the offset until I confirmed it with the expansion joints between the intake and the fenders. I couldn't get the passenger side installed without likely bending the snorkel until I put it in boiling water to soften it up.

Not sure of the idea behind the offset except maybe to give the driver more foot room.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

FEP Senior Member

I called my parts supplier, western Motorsports in Calgary, the owner races an 82 GT for fun. He said they are designed to be 1” off Center. I wish I’d have known before I installed my fuel lines.

FEP Senior Member

The engines are off set to the passenger side of the car. It gives clearance for the steering shaft.