Close

Default Rear End Identification

Hi All.

I'm having trouble identifying this diff. The seller has sent some pic's claiming it's an 8.8 but i'm scratching my head a bit. It seems to have the little cutouts along the bottom as per an 8.8 but doesn't seem to be the right shape for an 8.8 overall? Looks more to me like a 7.5 from my limited knowledge. I can see it does have a tag but just can't see it from the angle. As per the second photo it's a 5 stud.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Its not an Explorer leaf spring triple shock rear end with ABS and 31 spline axles. Lookes SN95 3.8 V6 7.5 with ABS.

A 7.5 lookes like this

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...s-a-7-5-or-8-8

8.8...like this.

Looks like a 7.5" to me. Rounded sides, flat top

Definitely NOT an 8.8 rear end.

As stated above appears to be a SN95 V6 7.5 rear end. The axles and brake parts can be used to convert a Fox to 5 lug if desired, but no benefit other than that over a Fox 7.5 rear end.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

It'll also have ****e ratios in it, necessitating a gear change. Keep looking, 8.8s aren't rare.

Thanks for your help lads. Makes sense if it's a sn95 v6, as the front rotors he has are 11in as below?
    I'm thinking, at the right price this may be the best deal i'll find. Slim chance i'll have the same opportunity again given the scarcity of parts in New Zealand as haven't seen an 8.8 come up for sale in almost a year. I'm not intending to turn it into a horse power monster so I'm ok with the 7.5. The four stud however is another issue and would love more options for some second hand wheels.

Hope your ok down there in Dunedin brother. Some People are starting to get scratchy up here on the Hibiscus Coast.

Name:  20200317_111902.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  309.6 KBName:  20200317_112908.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  297.6 KBAttachment 131624Attachment 131625

The 28 spline axles shafts can be used on either the 7.5 or 8.8.

Id personally use this axle as a parts base and buy a very easy to get 31 spline Disc braked leaf spring Explorer axle from a wrecked 97 to 01 XLT 4.0, and have an engineering shop add the upper link mounts and lower links to that axle. The New Zealand and Aussue market Explorer has 31 splines and a cable central hand brake like the Mustang.

Its like doing a 9 inch axle housing swap. The 8.8 is a lower cost axle swap, and Ford went to it in 1983 trucks to reduce the totak cost of producing the old 9 inch with a slightly easier to build but almost as strong and more efficient cast iron housing center that didnt need a huge steam press and arc welding process, with its safety snd electricity consumption. Sterling 8.8s are common everywhere else, and despite the C clips potential to drop out, they are still being made. Explorers are very easy to get and convert.

The offset on the Explorer is different to allow the 4wd tranfer case to repitch tge drive shaft in the vehicke, but you can shorten one side to the Fox axke width.

Just an FYI, you don't want to use the 96-04 spindles on a Fox with the OEM front K member. The bumpsteer caused by the straight steering arm can not be corrected properly. You need the 94/95 spindles that have the curved steering arm on the spindles. The rotors, calipers, cradles, etc. will all interchange. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Last I knew LKQ was still a good source for 94-95 spindles. Its a good upgrade.

There is some standard wrong thinking about 1999-2004 Mustang parts in Foxes. The changes in the Fox 4 chassis (the SN95), and the New Edge (the SN99) were rolled out to generate an entirely new IRS Mustang with special wheel offsets....a very wide car compared to the 78 to 92 Fox Fairmont based cars.

Quote Originally Posted by stangbro916
    Ok guys I read through this and I'm pretty sure my setup will work just want to double check.
    I have a 92 4 cyl auto.
    I have a 98gt V8 auto.
    Rear end is a little longer (which honestly should look cool with some big fatties back there) but otherwise will bolt right up.
    Spindles will work as well? Along with the rest of the brake assembly? It's the brake lines that and emergency brake components that I will have to find elsewhere?
    I am probably going to do a mild 5.0 build and use it as a daily. I just prefer the better braking and rim options of 5 lug/disc brake setup

Thanks in advance and sorry if you're just repeating yourself.
    I'm a figure it out as I go type of car lover so sometimes I need things dummed down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157
    The added length of the rear end will dramatically narrow you choice of rear wheels due to the fact that they'll have to have that much more negative back spacing to get the tires under the car.
    And along the same lines, the width of your tire will not be anywhere near a " big fattie"....unless you plan to stuck the tire out past the wheel lip. Now that I think about it, you'll probably have a tough time keeping any width wheel under the car.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...d-swap.789144/

Quote Originally Posted by Lifted94XLT
    The Explorer read ends are about 2" wider than a fox rear end..... and no, the center section is not offset, its centered.... I had three of these sitting around from when I used to build Explorers and did all the measurements and all.. if you didn't mind being a little wider though, it wouldn't really be THAT hard to get it to work.....
    cut off spring perches,
    and weld on the control arm brackets from your other rear end.

--Ryan
    In New Zealand, Explorer UN's are so common, that you'll pick up a rear end with Traction Lok 3.73's, 31 spines, and drum internal, disk external brakes for a song. Shorten one end of the axle, and use a 31 spline aftermarket axle to re-offset the axle to 78-92 Fox width, and you'll have room for wide wheels with a normal offset. Exclusive the NZ and Aussie RHD Explorers is the unique Mustang central hand brake, with a cable operating the drum park brakes from a stock SN95 handbrake. Note: The second-generation 1995-2001 Ford Explorer is based upon the Ford U1 platform shared with its predecessor, adopting the UN105/UN150 model codes.

For front spindles, follow Jack Hidley's advice and Don't buy twice. Target your results.

The issues with Foxes and parts is no different to 65-66 Mustangs, and wanting to put 71-73 parts like Clevelands, or better 9 inch axles from US Ford Granadas, Monarchs and Versailies in them , and better gearboxes and disk brakes in them. Although similar, nothing is really the same, and wrong purchases will have you spending wrong extra money. Ex USA SUV parts are a 100% good prospect, especially if they came in a Lithgo Built RHD Ford Explorer. Better strength, reduced purchase price, and the quality that always comes from mass production.

See
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadFlowInc

Comparing the cost of modifying a Mustang 8.8 with Moser 7700 9" axle ends and upgrading it to 31 spline. Or buying a complete Explorer 8.8, doing the 2 short axle mod...
    Because of the machining/fabrication costs and custom axles to do the Mustang 8.8, it will be cheaper for me to mod the Explorer 8.8, even if I have to buy new back rims.
    Explorer would be stronger than the Mustang even after upgrades due to bigger bearings.
    Its Pluses are
    1. 3-1/4" axle tubes,
    2. Drum internal parking brake
    3. 11" Disk brakes
    4. Kick butt tough Posi (um, TrackLok Limited Slip Differential)

It Minuses are
    1. The housing has no upper links, but you can copy them and have the mounts flitched into the existing Explorer housing.
    2. Its 3.25" tubes require a host of changes to mount the lower control arms
    3. Its a centered 4WD axle housing, not offset like the Foxes and everything else with a 7.5, 8, 9 or 8.8" axle.
    4. You need to do a 3" cut out of the the long 3.25" axle tube, add a shorter axle tube from another 95-01 Explorer, and then have an engineering shop add the stock four link Fox or SN95 control arms, the lowers modified to fit the 3.25" axle tubes. It requires some welding.

Here is the Explorer UN housing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E7KUj_-JwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E7KUj_-JwE

Thanks for your help mate. You've given me lots to explore appreciate it.