Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Questions

Default Zephyr- Some Questions

Hello,
    I have a ‘79 Zephyr, also have a 4v engine and 4r70w I am going to put in.
    I have a plan for the electrical, as the 4v and 4r70w were swapped into another car that ended up with a rotted frame.
    plan is to swap all of the electrical stuff needed to run the engine and trans, and keep the stock Zephyr dash and instrument panel.

One of my big questions is about an electric fuel pump.
    i have a walbro 255 pump in the other car’s tank now, that tank will not fit the Zephyr but I have AN supply and return lines already and will remove all wiring to the currently working fuel pump.

I do have a brand new Zephyr tank here, was wondering if I could fit an electric pump into that tank? The other car’s tank sender and fuel hat would need to be modified due to the position of the tank it is a crown Vic. I don’t have the 2 parts in front of me so not sure how heavily

Thought about an external electric pump but would like to leave that as a last resort. Looks like an 83 fairmont used an electric pump, just not sure if that would fit my tank or not?
    Can a Mustang tank fit an electric pump and also fit next to my spare tire well?

Other question is - would a fox Mustang dash fit my Zephyr? This dash is all cracked and falling apart every time I touch it. I will need to pull the dash to perform the wiring swap and I am afraid it is just going to fall to pieces.

thanks in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by massacre; 03-25-2020 at 06:54 AM.

Also I had another question about the Zephyr speedo being cable driven, while the 4r70w is not cable driven. I do still have the cable, it looks to have a tan gear on the end. 7” rear will be replaced by 8.8” and 4:10 gears.
    So not sure if I can make the cable work? Or is there an electric speedo I can use that will fit the Zephyr dash?
    My buddy was telling me about some new GPS speedometers that are supposed to work with old style gauges.
    Anyone have any info on this?

thanks!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Sounds awesome. Late fox Mustang dash fits nicely.

See my build thread for more pics. Early fox Mustang dash is exactly the same part as the Zephyr dash.

For the tank, easiest thing to do would be to get one of those Holley or Fitech EFI conversion kits for original tanks. Pricey, but super easy. Otherwise guys have made late fox Mustang tanks fit in Zephyrs by modifying the spare tire well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 03-23-2020 at 07:39 PM.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Thank you zephyr efi for the response!
    gives me something to think about.
    My Zephyr dash doesn’t look exactly like yours, it is way more flat. Meaning flat when you look at it.
    I had a 4dr zeph that I daily drove in the early 90s, and it had the same dash as the one I have now.
    oh well I’ll figure that out.

I’ll check out that info on the tank, pricey isn’t too bad when it’s easy lol
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Also your car looks amazing, I can only imagine that work that went into it!

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Thank you zephyr efi for the response!
    gives me something to think about.
    My Zephyr dash doesn’t look exactly like yours, it is way more flat. Meaning flat when you look at it.
    I had a 4dr zeph that I daily drove in the early 90s, and it had the same dash as the one I have now.
    oh well I’ll figure that out.

I’ll check out that info on the tank, pricey isn’t too bad when it’s easy lol
    You're right, the dash pad on the 2 gauge Fairmont/Zephyr dash is inexplicably different, but the dash hull is the same. F/Zs with the 6 gauge package like mine came with do use all the same Mustang parts though.

Thanks for the kind words. Let me know if you need to pick my brain some more!

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    You're right, the dash pad on the 2 gauge Fairmont/Zephyr dash is inexplicably different, but the dash hull is the same. F/Zs with the 6 gauge package like mine came with do use all the same Mustang parts though.

Thanks for the kind words. Let me know if you need to pick my brain some more!

Thanks for the clarification.
    Yeah I’ll def be wanting to pick your brain for info, I have done work on foxes over the years but this is only the 2nd fox I have owned.
    Thanks again

So I may have just found out that 4r70w can use a speedometer cable. If that is true, that may solve that problem which would be great!
    Plan is to swap the power distribution box from donor car over To the Zeph to run the engine/trans along with the fuse box.
    I would eliminate many of the circuits from the donor car like power windows, lights, wipers, blinkers etc basically anything the Zeph already does now.
    Thought about running 2 fuse boxes, but having to have 2 types of fuses doesn’t sound smart.

so I may try eliminating the stock Zeph fuse box, and move all the stock wiring for those circuits over to the donor fuse box. As long as I use all the same size fuses as the stock setup, I think that should work. I’ll have to see how many spaces I have once I eliminate stuff from each side. Like I won’t need the ignition and carb fuses from the stock setup.

i have the donor harness all laid out on a sheet of plywood on sawhorses. Removing all the harness tape to see the wire colors and then I’ll grab a diagram and start removing stuff.

I swapped in the whole chassis harness from a 1990 Mustang into my Zeph. It was fairly straightforward once i figured out some of the original wires were SUPER faded, but pretty much the same colors. Swapping over the dash saved a lot of time too. I installed the dash and harness as one piece.

I spliced in the wipers, exterior and interior lights, rear defogger, and that was pretty much it. That said, I did keep the whole harness. I slowly went through and re-added many of the things the Zeph didn't come with but the Mustang was wired for like power windows and mirrors.

A 4R70 is pretty much an AOD with a different name. I would think if the sending unit for the electronic speedometer is actually diffrerent, you could get yourself a tailhousing from an AOD and then have the mounting spot you need for the cable sending unit, if all else fails.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 03-25-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I'm curious on the 4r70w speedo setup too. I have one I'm thinking about using.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I did a similar swap, putting a 4V Mod Motor and a T-45 trans in a Futura. I also posted quite a bit of info on www.modularfoxmustangs.com about wiring and other issues. See https://modularfoxmustangs.com/commu...n-general.678/

In order to use a mechanical speedometer with the T-45, I used the Vehicle Speed Sensor from an '87-'93 Mustang. It matches the Mod Motor wiring connector and has a port for a speedometer cable. The speedometer cable has to be about 100 inches long to clear the heads and reach to the rear of the transmission. I got a custom cable from Speedometer Service Company in Milwaukee. Their telephone number is (414)463-6300 and the website is wwwspeedometersolutions.com.

I used an '88 Mustang dash and there are problems you need to consider whether you keep your existing dash or use a later one. The oil pressure sender and the temperature sender on the Mod Motor are not compatible with either dash so you'll have to get the sending units that match your dash in order to make the gauges read correctly. If you're interested, I still have the original Futura dash complete with a full set of instruments including tachometer. I tried to sell it once but didn't have any takers.
    Last edited by FuturaGuy; 03-25-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies!

i did some research and read from posts on here that temp sensor would have to be swapped, thanks for the heads up on the oil pressure sensor and the VSS.
    My car has crank windows, no power locks or mirrors ABS and I like it. I only want to swap over what will be needed to run the engine and trans and fuel pump.

i dieted some harnesses today. Cut out a huge pile of wires I won’t need. Started at the front and back and working my way toward the middle.
    Most of it was ABS airbag and lighting related. Got rid of auto fuel door, rear speakers, etc
    only thing in front is PDB related and only thing in the trunk is the inertia switch and fuel pump,

Name:  MAHPCI.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  57.3 KB

I would check out the Terminator X Max from Holley. Controls the motor and trans. Seems like a lot less guess work.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...od_motor_kits/

Quote Originally Posted by BlownMerc View Post
    I would check out the Terminator X Max from Holley. Controls the motor and trans. Seems like a lot less guess work.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...od_motor_kits/
    Thanks for the link, my buddies told me the same thing about the Holley system.
    It looks great, but another $1500 on top of all the other expenses is a little hard to take.
    I already have this EEC and harness here, I already swapped it into another car before this. I am pretty familiar with the setup I have and would like to try and make it work first. If it doesn’t work out, it’s good to know that systems like the Holley are out there to save my ass lol.

Car will be a street car, if it was a race car, I would prob just go with the Holley setup, as it has provisions for boost, nitrous and trans brake

The cougar/thunderbirds have a digital in put and no Speedo cable.

When I did my sn-95 t-5 swap, I used a 2001 trans with a vss. It plugged right in to the tbird sensor wiring, but it read about 4x actual speed. 85mph in 1st gear.

The Speedo actuslly wrapped aroind somewjere after 200 mph, so I put it in kmph and could still reference it to how fast I was actually going.

It was pretty fun watching the odometer on the highway.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    The cougar/thunderbirds have a digital in put and no Speedo cable.

When I did my sn-95 t-5 swap, I used a 2001 trans with a vss. It plugged right in to the tbird sensor wiring, but it read about 4x actual speed. 85mph in 1st gear.

The Speedo actuslly wrapped aroind somewjere after 200 mph, so I put it in kmph and could still reference it to how fast I was actually going.

It was pretty fun watching the odometer on the highway.
    That's funny
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Received my new gas tank yesterday, a Spectra F2C EFI tank. Ordered one from Summit, but was on back order and Summit could not give me a shipping date.
    So I found one on radiatorexpress.com and it was only $80, twenty bucks cheaper than Summit. Weird thing is I think it actually came from Auto Zone lol.
    Swapped in my walbro 255 fuel pump, installed the sending unit and tested it out. Pump works.
    Might have to shim the tank on top to clear the fuel lines, but I need new straps first as my car was missing one strap and the other one was broken.

What pump hanger did you go with?

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Was part # E4DF-9H307-BD I think it is for an LTD wagon.
    Got it from ebay, it’s brand new believe it or not. Like finding a needle in a haystack lol.

Thus will get the car up and running but the send and return lines on the hanger are pretty small. I am expecting to have to upgrade that in the near future but that hanger has the same electrical connector as my donor body harness so wanted to keep it simple for now.

i noticed that the hole for the fill tube in the EFI tank is smaller than the carb tank. Looking for a smaller fill tube now, but where do I get a grommet in that size?
    thanks

Filler neck for a '82-93 Mustang will work. Grommet from same. I think Rockauto has them, or else LMR.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Filler neck for a '82-93 Mustang will work. Grommet from same. I think Rockauto has them, or else LMR.

Awesome thanks man
    you’re the best I appreciate it

Glad to help!

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I appreciate it! This is only my 2nd fox body, and the first one I had 25+ years ago was left bone stock.
    So sorry if I am asking newb questions. I have already learned a TON from this site from members such as yourself. I am more familiar with the later model modular 4.6 and 5.4 engines. Plus I am ignorant of which fox stuff fits which model year etc.

Not at all. There are plenty of things not generally known about the non-Mustang Foxes.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Not at all. There are plenty of things not generally known about the non-Mustang Foxes.
    Don’t I know it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast