Close

Thread: L6 intake

Default L6 intake

What performance options are there for a 1981 Black Magic intake manifold with the stock 200 ci? Is there just the Offenhauser manifold with three single carbs? I was hoping to use a single four barrel.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Looks interesting. Thank you!

See Foxy Capri's ex NAVYCAT #621 C4 auto 3.3 Black Magic Capri.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...67#post1690067

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy Capri View Post
    Here's my 'White' Black Magic, running the Aussie 250 2V head but now with the US inlet manifold. I just paid my Club Permit fees of $71.20 which allows me to use her for a maximum of 45 days per year. It's very cheap motoring and equates to giving her a run nearly once a week. For an extra $71.20, I can get an additional 45 days if I exhaust my initial 45 days. She just loves the open road!

It has the 1971 to 1973 Australian M code 250 cubic inch 170 Horse Power head on it. That has been reproduced in aluminum by Classic inLines from 2005 to 2014, and recently from Matt Cox at Vintage Inlines.

If you bought an aluminum head and the 390/465 Holley 4bbl intake and tube headers they recomend, the stock horespower for a 94.5 hp T4 or SROD manual should go up to an easy 150 hp. Its a very good head. I did some suggestive design work...the longer 302 Boss head studs and the intake manifold changes were done by an exceptional enginneer, Elmo. Its expensive, as the head comes bare, but your manual engine block remains stock like Terry M's

I think youll keep Lincoln Mercury history intact, and have a superb result with that. The engine can take way more...even up to 265 hp with the right cam and timing gear set. The cast iron rods limit the engine slightly, as without a rebuild, any manual trans 78 to 83 six has marginal pistons, cast iron rods and an oil pickup and conrod bolts prone to yield and crack...but the basics rebuilt are able to take a huge increase in power.

Terry isn't around on the forums now. But his car is my favorite BM.

Arrow

riccs49 has a formerly 3.3 liter Mustang Cobra with T4 Borg Warner. BW T series 4 speeds were just T5 1352 case gearboxes without the extra gear, effectively pilot builds for the planned T5's that Datsun, Chev and AMC were using later that year in 280Zx, S10 Blazer, AMC Eagles and Concords..

Due to good press from the Car and Driver Mercury Capri road test, many 3.3s were made with four speeds. For 1982, the manual option in 3.3s was withdrawn.

Anyway, there is a really good write up in Ford Six and the Vintage Mustang Forum on a Triple Carb Offenhauser install. Its by one guy who uses a system that is great for a manual T5.

Varilux is the best and he can prove it.

https://just-a-six.tumblr.com/

There are many different issues with carbs and linkages. The 5205 part number Offenhauser fits early pre 1979 heads, the N/T/L code M suffix C9 model year 170/200/250 head to the T and L Code 3.3/4.1 liter engines.

The state you live in should allow the non emissions carbs to substitute the stock Holley 1946C.

Carb choice is yours. The kit is designed around Holley 1904 1bbls, but you can use Autolite 1100s, Holley/Autolite/Motorcraft 1940's or the Chrysler Corp Holley 1945. The center carb is on all te time, and the outer carbs operate as secondaries.

In terms of power and economy and drivability verses a 4 bbl Alloy or 250 2v iron head...they are neck and neck.

The Fox unibody has no spring tower braces, so a Tri Power can have a Cobra style air cleaner assembly on it, and visuals stun every V8 luvin' show go-er when the hood is up.

For excellence in looks and operation, See

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=...589580#p589580

For gearing choices, see his 87-89 V8 service T5 and 3.55 axle combination.

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=...548006#p548006

Ive supplied these in case your desire to have a 4bbl six cylinder isn't set in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett'sdad View Post
    What performance options are there for a 1981 Black Magic intake manifold with the stock 200 ci? Is there just the Offenhauser manifold with three single carbs? I was hoping to use a single four barrel.

I was thinking the other day, you should probably get some form of a baseline idea of JUST how slow a 4-speed Mercury Capri is before you modify.

Read through this article.

A few really important notes:-

1. There was no 97.5 hp power figure..... 94.5 hp is the factory B code default rating, a figure without the fan clutch engaged, and it varied depending on trans, destination Fox Chassis, and either years from 1978 to 1983, it had a T code 85 hp, or X code 91 hp rating.

2. A car that wouldn't pass 31 mpg Highway ,

3. not top the 100 mph mark,

4. at best, do only a 19.0 sec 1320 foot time at the Standing 1/4.

5. The factory 4 speed stick-shift B code for 1981 was certainly never a 2 bbl Holley Weber or VV Motorcraft as the article claims....,it was always just a 1 bbl 1946C Holley Motorcraft carb,

6. a one year only 1352 case T5 but with a Four speed T4 Borg Warner IN THIS T-Top Mercury Capri with a 2.47 axle ratio.

7. It is not a 3.08 axle 0.81 overdrive 2.49:1 top SROD 4- speed as claimed in this Motor Trend March 1981 magazine re-pitch. The two Tremec T170's and T4 BW were available at the same time, and had the same effective overall gear ratios from 1 st to 4th.