Close

Default AC part vendor and brand suggestions

I plan to replace the dryer, lines, and o-rings. System was converted to 134a about 15 years ago by previous owner . Car is 1983 GT 5.0 4 bbl and is basically stock. Any parts vendors or brands that you might suggest (or to avoid)? Want quality parts at a fair price while retaining factory appearance. Thank you

Try East Texas Auto Air and Glass (903-753-0089). I have gotten some factory parts from them in the past. Not sure if "fair price" and "factory appearance" are two statements that can often be used in the same sentence with these cars, but their prices were fair when I dealt with them. It has been a while though.

And if that is your 83 Mustang in your avatar picture, I love it.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Thanks Tbirdman! I will reach out to them. Yep that’s mine. Starting to heat up already down here!

FEP Power Member

There are some Motorcraft parts around. They would be preferred. The next most common is Four Seasons. I have not had any problems with them but less likely to be made in USA. They may have changed names too. I found everything I needed at RockAuto on my last rebuild. Be sure to use the correct pressure switch for R134. Motorcraft does not list a different one but Ford did note it in the upgrades bulletin back in the 90s. I think Four Seasons list 2 separate ones..
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thank you KevinK! I appreciate your input.

Just an FYI in regards to the accumulator pressure switch. There's not really any difference. The difference is the pressure the switch is set to activate or deactivate the compressor clutch at. You can change the setting on your original switch or any replacement switch by using a thin blade screw driver and turning the screw underneath the electrical pigtail on the switch.

Motorcraft parts are out there, generally better, but no guarantees these days as to who or where they are actually made. Four Season stuff is generally good too. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    You can change the setting on your original switch or any replacement switch by using a thin blade screw driver and turning the screw underneath the electrical pigtail on the switch. !
    Yes, it’s true the switch can be adjusted. Most people have no idea how to set it up to adjust it or what the setting should be. The new switch is $19 at RockAuto.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I used 4 Seasons items 2 years ago and have nothing but a good experience. Everything fit as it should and it is doing fine with R134a.

Kenny

Thanks guys! I’ll let y’all know how cold she blows when it’s done.

Checking in again. I went with Four Seasons. It turned out fine. Blows about 45 degrees. Sure beats the 96 degree heat with 90% humidity today in Tampa with the blistering Florida sun beaming through the T-tops. Thanks again for the input y’all provided.

Hi guys thanks for sharing your knowledge! I am doing a 351w swap, do you know if I can use the same lines and hoses?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk