Close

Default Muffler choice question

I currently have the LMR american thunder X pipe and mufflers.
    I love the sound, but the drone at 1800-2000 is mind numbing,
    So I am going to swap them out.

Question is what are good-loud mufflers that have less drone?

I know the flowmasters are chambered and I am thinking a straight through type muffler would be better
    any suggestions would be great
    Thanks

I’ve loved every Magnaflow I’ve ever heard for what it’s worth.

FEP Power Member

My 85 cane with Flowmasters. Not sure which version as they are more than 10 years old. My guess is three chambers. They are Reasonably quiet as most of my cars are stock. Borla S is always nice.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

40 series
    love the sound of the car
    it is just unbearable inside

I have Dynomax Super Turbos on my 88 5.0. For me the drone noise at 45-50 mph in 3rd gear (AOD) is just right and will scream a bit on full throttle.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

FEP Member

If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you read this thread before changing mufflers:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...one-inside-car

The resonance inside the car can sometimes be changed by adding extra muffler/pipe hangers, weights on the pipes, or different size exhaust pipes/resonators. Stringed musical instruments, especially the cello, are subject to unwanted resonance in a similar way, called "wolf tones".

Two thumbs up for Dynamax Super Turbos! Love mine, had them for years and it always gets compliments for sound.

Magnaflows are a close second.

Kenny

I had Dynomax mufflers on my 86GT back in the 90's. They sounded great. My only complaint is that they didn't last particularly long. Around 5 years and it was time for a new cat-back kit again.

At that point I went with a MAC cat-back. It was also a wonderful sounding exhaust, but only lasted around 10 years.

These days I run a system thats a scabbed together combo. BBK equal shorty headers, MAC X-pipe, a pair of flowmaster 40's cobbled together with shelled out old MAC pipes.

The combo without the tailpipes was obnoxiously loud. It is a lot better with the tail pipes but it does drone big time going down the interstate.

It was a lot worse with the H-pipe than it is with the X, but its still bad. I am certain it is the flowmasters causing this.

Dynomax or Magnaflow do not tend to drone. They usually have a nice burble.

If I were to redo it, it would be H pipe with high flow cats and Magnaflow or Dynomax mufflers. More or less whats on my 85 Saleen clone we are in the process of trying to find time to finish.

Can't wait until its time for my 86 to get blown apart finally after all of these years.

I like my Dynomax Ultra Flo welded mufflers.
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

I too am running a scabbed together combo on my Saleen. Up front there are some used Ford Motorsport headers. A used BBK x pipe with cats in the middle. And out back some used 40 series Flowmasters from an 89 GT I parted with the original LX stainless pipes to the Saleen. I think it sounds great and I have ZERO drone.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

when I got my 94GT parts car it came with flowmasters, they are not too loud but sound good so I think they might be 50's as a women owned the 94 till she crashed into a wall lol
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

A lot of newer factory systems have small bullet resonators and mufflers.
    Even with a single rear transverse muffler and or x section.
    Unequal size mufflers in factory systems common. Dual exhaust SVOs were like that.

Currently run a MAC system from heads back. They have a bad drone at Hwy speed (3.08 gears approx 2K at 70mph). Plan is to change them out to Dynomax.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Aftermarket performance mufflers are pretty generic.
    At work, seen first hand OEM cats, mufflers, pipes, resonators, being manufactured from scratch, welded or spun type.
    Much more model and engine specific in design, components. Brackets, internals, system reinforcement points, shields.

FEP Member

I've got the Hooker Aerochambers. Nice idle, quiet at road speed, but sound good when you put the pedal down.

Anyone else find it interesting that a setup nearly identical to my obnoxious exhaust simply has a different brand headers and X pipe and it does not drone where-as mine is absolutely obnoxious?

FMS vs BBK equal shorties
    BBK x with cats vs Mac x with cats
    Mufflers ... same

Strange

FEP Member

Who would think that a minor difference in the weight, length, or shape of a metal tube would change its resonant frequency?

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Anyone else find it interesting that a setup nearly identical to my obnoxious exhaust simply has a different brand headers and X pipe and it does not drone where-as mine is absolutely obnoxious?

Mufflers ... same

Strange
    I went from BBK un-coated equal length shorties with an h-pipe to BBK ceramic longtubes with an h-pipe in front of the same super 40s Flowmasters with tailpipes on my Capri. It droned something fierce going down the highway before the swap. I did this mainly because I got tired of changing spark plug wires annually, even using heat protective boots with the equal lengths I couldn't keep them alive. While I think the sound of my car now with the 347 is as good as it gets, and it is no longer destroying plug wire, I still wouldn't recommend buying BBK longtubes or their brand h-pipe.

In the other thread, JACook installed mufflers that were different lengths on his car and claims there is no drone. In my very limited knowledge of sound wave science, this might make sense. I have heard that sounds of the same frequencies cancel each other out, maybe that is what is going on with drone where you are kind of caught in between that with the 2 same size mufflers making the same sounds, only varying in time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This brings about another question, has anyone experienced drone in a vehicle with a single exhaust?

Cale

FEP Power Member

Direct fit mufflers are getting hard to find. If a supplier has one, they don’t seem to have the other side. It would seem they all use the same on left and right mufflers. If you look at the direct fit drawings, you can clearly see the right side is a shorter muffler.

I found a mid pipe which should fit but everything is 2.25”. Mufflers can be 2.25 and 2.5” but tail pipes are mostly 2.5”.. I’m in CA so I have to stick with the single CAT and the near obsolete 2.25” mid pipe. The infamous 2.5” late CFI version has not been available for quite some time. I found a replacement 2.25” mid pipe on my car. It now has holes in it. New one is due today. Next is some 2.25” mufflers
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I’m telling you - I’m more thankful every day that after less than 2 years I left Foster City and moved back to Nebraska in the late 90’s. Weather here isn’t great but at least I don’t have tree huggers telling my I can’t mod my car. The same tree huggers that are out blowing trannys ..... you decide which type

yikes.

good luck getting things together in a compliant manner

FEP Senior Member

Keep the Flowmaster change mid pipe...Chambered mufflers need h pipe.....straight through mufflers like Turbos need x pipes

85 GT 5/0 came with different size mufflers for scavenging effect, so I've read.
    '85 Mustang GT Convertible, Jalapeno Red, Charcoal Int., Black Top, 5.0 H.O., 4 bbl , 5 speed, No AC, All original except for 8.8 Motorsport rr w/3.55 gears & subframe connectors. Owned since 'August 86. 1 of 574.

Running DynoMax ultraflows here. Sound great. They start to droan around 90MPH with a 3:55 gear.
    I have a full Midas OEM exact fit exhaust laying around that I never used. It is 30 years old. The mufflers are still in the boxes and one is definitely shorter.
    I think it is the right one.

I’ve loved every Magnaflow I’ve ever heard for what it’s worth.

Could not be better said.

Mufflers ... same

Strange
    I forgot to put in my post that my FMS headers are unequal length. That is the only difference I can see other than brands.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179