Close

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I am not in the least bit afraid of the disease even though at 68 I guess I'm in the high risk category. I am however quite concerned with the possibility of out of control panic mostly caused by the end of world scenario being promoted by the media.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

FEP Power Member

Here in the Bay Area CA, we now have shelter in place and no one goes to work unless they are essential services. The store shelves we empty before , now it’s worse. Lots of stories about potential exposures.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Member

Things are starting to shut down here in WY, too. I'm in the old fart category, but being a retired introvert, I'm a hermit most of the time anyway. The economy of the whole country is crashing because of this virus. Lots of people are suffering even without catching the disease.

2x. HS class reunions. We are seniors again.
    Auto assy lines temp going down here. FCA last to stop. Ford DTP, MAP, FCA WTP, SHAP, others.

Usually stay put except for getting out to a store for walking exercise or something in winter.
    Am more extroverted, fidgety, but know how to hibernate. A winter thing.
    Used to be on the quiet side until being chosen as department lead several times. Ya have to talk.
    Took public speaking and biology in jr college.
    May take advantage of the new senior store hours. Exclusive club. How many will be waiting outside?
    I don't get up that early yet. Worked midnites and aft shift more than days.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...d-on-packages/
    Vincent Munster? Really.

Am washing food packaging and even other purchased items. Always have done can tops. Now plastic packaging too.
    Don't want no one's cooties if i can help it. As usual, don't know who's been there.
    Been wearing brown gloves in stores. If anything, to rub an itch on my nose.
    The total picture of all avenues of transmission or sources are currently unknown. Betcha there's more to it.

Great seeing families, neighbors out walking or biking even when cold out. Good will come out of this.
    Pretty early to see boats trailered this early in year around here. Boaters are fishing already.
    Passed on 2 six packs of plush tp in Kroger today. Have enough on hand plus they were 7.50. Too fancy.

FEP Power Member

As of today we're looking at 29 cases of wuhan virus per million Americans.

With numbers like that not only is it unlikely that anyone here knows someone with it. But odds are none of us knows anyone who knows someone with it.

For perspective, Italy has over 500 cases per million residents. France, Germany, Spain and many others are in the hundreds but lower than Italy.

We have 2 people from work in self quarantine due to travelling to Seattle last week.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post

With numbers like that not only is it unlikely that anyone here knows someone with it. But odds are none of us knows anyone who knows someone with it.

For perspective, Italy has over 500 cases per million residents. France, Germany, Spain and many others are in the hundreds but lower than Italy.
    That number is going to increase drastically. Not scared, just saying. Rapid increasing numbers in my county in KC area.

They are decreasing the patients actually being tested. Agenda or limited kits, who really knows. Numbers are just a game and manipulated to whoever's cause.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    That number is going to increase drastically. Not scared, just saying. Rapid increasing numbers in my county in KC area.

They are decreasing the patients actually being tested. Agenda or limited kits, who really knows. Numbers are just a game and manipulated to whoever's cause.
    TNT, that is known cases though. There have to be hundreds if not thousands more that have not been tested (or there will be). They do anticipate 50-70% will get it eventually. Here in Alberta, anyone who develops symptoms are being asked to stay home and self-isolate for 14 days. The Health board here would decide based on symptoms and need to have the test done so the cases is definitely worse than they say.

Agree with Mike about the numbers. They can make it better or worse when they want.

Myself, I just came back from West Virginia to Alberta and am doing 14 days self-isolation due to being out of the country before physically being allowed back to work or out generally. West Virginia just got their first case two days ago but most knew there were very likely many that had it already.

Funny group of ladies on our local community Facebook page are expecting practically everything to shut down. Crazy reading what they say. Yesterday there was a rant over two teens (out of school) getting Slurpees at the convenience store and an expectation that basically no one should be out. No one said you can't go out or hang with your buddy. Just don't do it in larger groups, keep your distance and use proper hygiene. I get it: "flatten the curve" but this isn't martial law!

Everyone stuck at home = 2 things.

Increased birth rate in 9 months, or

Increased divorce rate LOL
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

DETROIT (WXYZ) — Ford and GM say they are talking about helping in the Coronavirus crisis.

Retooling from cars and trucks to medical equipment.

Ford said in a statement, “We have had preliminary discussions with the U.S. and U.K. governments and looking into the feasibility.”

GM said in a statement, “GM is working to help find solutions for the nation. We are already studying how we can potentially support production of medical equipment like ventilators.”

Autoline Auto Analyst John Mc Elroy says, “they’re not going to retool plants that make cars and trucks to start making respirators, ventilators and masks. That would just take too much time.”

Instead he says, skilled trades workers inside the auto plants perform magic, “turn this over to the techs in the industry who can make anything. A lot of them have machine shops in their garages at home!”

A channel 7 street reporter said GM closed the Warren transmission plant (behind him) last year.
    "Could that be one of the sites where this new production gets underway?"

FEP Member

Well, we’ve got 5 cases and one death here in Leon County last I checked, and my great grandmother, great aunt, second cousin and her kids are all in quarantine either with untested symptoms or else an exposure to them. ****s starting to get real

FEP Power Member

I know that's reported cases.

Here's the thing, check out this link to see how we're doing compared to everyone else.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It's numbers come from cases reported to the WHO. Scroll down to the chart and you can sort things by number of cases per million. Ignore the outliers like San Marino and Vatican City, populations so tiny that 1 case can skew their average. Once you get to the nations with millions of residents look at where the US and Canada are.

This is bad, but it could be a LOT worse. Especially with treatments already being tested

The governor of PA has just shut down almost everything causing massive unemployment. IMO that was a huge over-reaction on his part.

As I stated earlier I'm not afraid of the disease but the economic hit will be a real problem. It's going to take a very long time to recover.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Hope everyone is well. We have two infected in York, PA. Area is unknown. All stay well and healthy.

I basically just got put out of work. They have done the lockdown in the LA area now and shut down all none essential construction job sites in the area. As a building inspector this pretty much gives me nothing to do until it starts back up again. I guess I am going to ride out my last 2 weeks of vacation/sick time pay and after that head for the unemployment line. I am not a happy camper! I hope no one in my family gets sick to add insult to injury.

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

I feel the economic toll is going to be much higher, than the body count. Harsh as that sounds. Look how much flu kills every year, and we don't close the USA every winter. Granted, this isn't over yet, time will tell if the right decisions were made....
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Out here in Utah we have around 70 cases. Overall, I am so sick of the b.s. surrounding it all. This is a thinly veiled attempt to bandaid a problem that does not really exist.

As I mentioned earlier, I have a baby in the nicu. They are trying to send him home even though he is sick. He has had 1 major and 3 minor surgerys so far over the past 4 months. He was born with a condition called cdh. Basically about half his diaphragm didn't form, and he organs were up in his chest and put pressure on his lungs and heart.

Recently they decided his repair surgery (muscle flap to close the hole, and putting everything back where it was) may have failed and they think he has partially reherniated.

They are refusing to run tests to see and trying to rush him home because they need extra beds and ventilators. Every day they go from him needing to be there for another week or two before they can do another surgery to theres nothing wrong and he is going to go home in three days.

Honestly, I am so sick of all the wide spread panic and overreacting by everyone involved.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

The governor just put Illinois on shelter-in-place. All non-essential workers stay home. So far, this only affects my middle son as far as work is concerned. My daughter works as a vet-tech, my wife's company has government contracts and my youngest son work for a pharmaceutical firm. They all are considered essential workers. Last I heard, there were around 400 cases in Illinois with 4 deaths. The lockdown is an attempt to spread out the stress on hospitals over time, because so many people who contract this virus need intensive care, ventilators, etc. if everybody got it at once, there wouldn't be enough facilities to care for them.

So far I don't have the virus but it is affecting me indirectly in another way, beyond staying home from work, take-outs from restaurants, etc. I have to postpone the rebuild of the engine in my '72 Mustang. I ordered a camshaft, lifters, and retainers from a company in California and now they're closed because of the shelter in place order. The good news is the engine is still in the Mustang, leaking oil but running.

FEP Senior Member

This is interesting times my friends. Hopefully we won't see it again in our lifetime and our children won't either. Italy seems to be getting hit the worst. I'm thinking we are still on the uphill and won't get to the top until mid-April. The economic toll is going to be enormous. A lot of small businesses are not going to make it through to the other side. I'm usually a positive person, but there is so many unknowns here. Yep, the flu does kill over 30,000 people a year, this one will surely surpass it and possibly triple that when it's all done...If it ends up being done. There are vaccinations for the flu strains, as of today there isn't one for COVID-19. Stay healthy everyone and let's get through this together. We can only hope that it's short lived.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE'SVO86 View Post
    This is interesting times my friends. Hopefully we won't see it again in our lifetime and our children won't either. Italy seems to be getting hit the worst. I'm thinking we are still on the uphill and won't get to the top until mid-April. The economic toll is going to be enormous. A lot of small businesses are not going to make it through to the other side. I'm usually a positive person, but there is so many unknowns here. Yep, the flu does kill over 30,000 people a year, this one will surely surpass it and possibly triple that when it's all done...If it ends up being done. There are vaccinations for the flu strains, as of today there isn't one for COVID-19. Stay healthy everyone and let's get through this together. We can only hope that it's short lived.
    Using the most current numbers found online(accurate?), global mortality rate for covid-19 is around 4%, US rate is under 1.5%. Mortality for the seasonal flu is around .1%, so in the US at least, this virus is about 15 times more deadly. Hence the very serious response.

One of my friends uncles put it this way........... "if avoiding spreading a disease that may wipe me out destroys the world as we know it and all that my generation and those before have built, its not worth it. I probably have 5 or maybe 10 years left to live if I'm lucky. stop this nonsense and let it take me out if its going to."

There are a lot of 70+ year olds who have said the same thing. Hard to think about them being gone in 5-10 but that's probably reality in many cases.

Sure hope not, but my belief is that the good lord calls each of us by name and we are his. From the moment we are conceived our days are numbered. When its your time to go, its your time to go -- nothing anyone is going to do about it.

I sincerely hope every stays healthy and those quarantines are only as a precaution.

I got laid off for the next 17 days because Ford and Caterpillar shut down. I make bearings for them. hope Trump sends that $1000 check quick.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Using the most current numbers found online(accurate?), global mortality rate for covid-19 is around 4%, US rate is under 1.5%. Mortality for the seasonal flu is around .1%, so in the US at least, this virus is about 15 times more deadly. Hence the very serious response.
    See, this is where we're getting suckered. How can you calculate the death rate when only those who have symptoms (or who have been in contact with someone who tested positive) are being tested? Health officials say that 80% or more don't even show symptoms at all.... or they're so mild that they get blown off as allergies or being tired, etc.

I also heard that some countries are just counting anyone with cold symptoms as C-19 infected.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 03-21-2020 at 05:00 PM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Keep us posted, I hope your Brother is okay and his partner too. Same for all of us and our friends and families.

Quote Originally Posted by 86lx View Post
    My brother is a paramedic. His partner tested positive...so I’m sure he’s got it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast