Close

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I work for Loomis Armored. Every store I went in to this week looked like Moscow stores used to look. Empty shelves. Just when I think I've seen the stupidest thing ever, the good citizens go and show me otherwise. Idiots on parade. We are living the movie Idiocracy. I'm self quarantining this weekend. For sanity's sake.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

My wife and I just watched "Outbreak" on Netflix (circa 1995). Figured it was appropriate for current times.

I'm cautious about what my family does, but not to the point where we're severely adjusting normal activities. My daughters school will be been closed for 2 weeks. Overly cautious, yes. Nothing we can do about it. I just hope it doesn't mess up her HS graduation.

I am really peeved how the media is "covering" this developing story / situation. I'll leave it at that. Hopeful that things peak soon and things start to return to normal soon.

JT

Ps - don't know anyone infected with Covit19......
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Last edited by gr79; 03-14-2020 at 10:01 PM.

The news networks are going to keep this thing going as long as possible.... along with many politicians.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Originally posted by JTurbo
    My wife and I just watched "Outbreak" on Netflix (circa 1995). Figured it was appropriate for current times.
    It looks like you can catch "The Last Ship" every place but Netflix, to stay in theme.
    I remember "The Andromeda Strain" movie, and read the book.
    Really dry blood and rat killing lasers, with a side of sterno.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

I’ve got a great idea — let’s watch the politicians spray tax dollars far and wide with as little supervision as possible. Arg

Meanwhile at the store
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    I’ve got a great idea — let’s watch the politicians spray tax dollars far and wide with as little supervision as possible. Arg

Meanwhile at the store
    At least there is some bread left, some places are empty.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
    82 Capri BM, 84 Mustang Gt, 88 T-Bird TC, 93 Mustang

I'd like to know where all the TP is...Arggg...
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Meanwhile at the store
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

I can't do much of anything anyways. I had a Defibrillator put in on Feb 20th as a safety precaution for sudden death syndrome associated with my Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. There was a guy up here hoarding all the toilet paper and reselling for a profit. He was caught and charged. My wife just found ou they will be shutting our sons school down until further notice but the teachers are required to still come to work......huh? Its definitely interesting times ahead. No confirmed cases in our city in southern Alberta, Canada.
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

FEP Member

I work at the local high school in maintenance.all Massachusetts schools are closed for the next three weeks.i still have to go in. cancelled since last Friday.only one case in my county..crazy times..I hope they keep the liquor stores open.or domestics will be way up the next month lol..

We just found out that they are shutting all of the schools in Alberta until further notice. All students will receive a final mark for the year no exams. Child care is also closing down so that means many parents will need to stay home. Fortunately my wife is able to do most of her work from home but most people are not so lucky.

I fear what this is going to do to the economy and the long term effects of it. I heard the death toll could be between 5 and 10 times that of the common flu because there is no vaccination. At this time they are only trying to slow the spread to ease the blow on the health care system. most people will end up getting it but if they cant slow it down it will be unmanageable.

The scary thing is that most people, businesses, and corporations operate so lean that they don't stock pile any supplies or product. They are always used to everything being a day away if they need to order it. So when a emergency happens massive shortages occurs. Panic sets in and people buy more than they need (Toilet paper)

We can only hope people can support each other in these times and aren't selfish. It makes me sick hearing about these people selling supplies at ridiculous prices taking advantage of those in need.

Take care everyone and I hope everyone stays healthy

I'm waiting for the Budvirus...

Name:  budwiser-frogs.gif
Views: 217
Size:  93.0 KB
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Foureyedjoe View Post
    I heard the death toll could be between 5 and 10 times that of the common flu because there is no vaccination. At this time they are only trying to slow the spread to ease the blow on the health care system. most people will end up getting it but if they cant slow it down it will be unmanageable.
    It's the mortality rate that makes the COVID-19 so much of a risk.

Typically, "the yearly flu" has a mortality rate of 0.1%.
    Note, since many people get the yearly flu, that's still a lot of people that die. :-(
    The vast majority (in America) are the much older or very sick.

For COVID-19, the mortality rate is likely somewhere between 0.7% and 4%.
    See:
    https://khn.org/news/fact-check-coro...ortality-rate/

So, COVID-19 "could be up to" 40-times more deadly than the typical yearly flu.

What's also important to note, is that unlike most flu viruses, COVID-19 has minimal/limited effect on those under ~25 or under ~39.
    So, the majority of expected mortality is expected to happen to mainly older people (over 40, 50, 60, 70, etc).
    Many "school kids" may not even know they have/had COVID-19. And, they could go around spreading the virus for 5-10 days.

The fact that someone can have the virus, not have any symptoms for 5-10 days, and spread the virus to other is another critical aspect that makes COVID-19 extremely dangerous.

Imho, the info on the CDC on COVID-19 is so-so at best.
    To be fair, this is not an exact science, regardless of what the self-serving talking head idiots say.

What is "very likely" to help is the social distancing that just about every country (except Britain) is doing.

The CDC equiv of Britain thinks it's better to let the virus run it's course now, and then bet that the virus will "die off" with warmer weather.
    Note: As of Sunday, Britain "may" be rethinking that plan.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...virus-outbreak
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...protect-lives/
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...-deaths-cases/

Note, again, if the virus survives in the warmer and/or humid weather is not clear right now.
    Imho, the media's self-serving moron talking heads are, imho, worse than the virus in the effects on people.

There is a still a lot to know about the virus.
    People can guess by going by how previous viruses reacted.
    But, it's all still "best guess" right now.

From the above, it can be seen that the CDC's initial plan wasn't something randomly made up (like many in the media suggested).
    For people that deal with statistics a lot, they could likely see that the CDC's initial plan made sense - with a risk.

Fwiw, I agree that the economic consequences are very scary.
    Imho, because the world is so connected and interdependent, there are not any good examples in history
    to go by.

Best of luck to all.

Coworker exposed Friday, Sent home for 2 week self quarantine. Here we go! Its here at work.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

FEP Senior Member

I'm trying to avoid any media coverage of this at all, but here goes. The media is treating this like the movie "Outbreak" and within three days of exposure everybody is going to be bleeding from their eyes and will die a violent death coughing up blood all over the place with 100% mortality.

What I want to know is when you see videos from Iran and China and there are guys just hosing down complete city blocks, what chemical are they spraying?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

My 1st post on this thread was 3/12 and here in Illinois we had 19 cases officially reported. As of this morning, 4 days later we have 93 cases officially reported. It doesn't seem to be spreading like wildfire probably due to people being cautious and government mandated closings. And I have to say every case I've heard of, the person has been quarantined. Although the closings were just announced in the last 2 days so they may not have had much effect on that number, so they should have more effect going forward. Hopefully we can slow the spread of this virus enough to allow the medical care facilities cope.

Today's CDC update: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html

If these graphs are accurate, things look pretty hopeful. And using today's numbers the mortality rate is presently below 2%

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    I'm trying to avoid any media coverage of this at all, but here goes. The media is treating this like the movie "Outbreak" and within three days of exposure everybody is going to be bleeding from their eyes and will die a violent death coughing up blood all over the place with 100% mortality.

What I want to know is when you see videos from Iran and China and there are guys just hosing down complete city blocks, what chemical are they spraying?
    Water.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Water.
    Sweet. I'm going to set up my lawn sprinklers and protect my family Iranian style.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

So we are as close to martial law in many places now as we've ever been in our lifetimes. Those who are students of history know the concerns we should have around what we are giving up in the name of safety and/or perceived risk reduction.

I am not expert on history but I have read a lot of books. We have to acknowledge where we are in terms of technology as well. There's enough AI out there to emulate me or you or anyone else that it would be weeks or months before anyone would even miss us if we were gone. We aren't gathering in places like church or schools, etc. Nazi Germany did the exact same thing.

Here is where common sense kicks in for me and I have to call bull**** ......

#1 - if the liberal media is pushing this like a D9 CAT, don't trust it. There is something up with it.

#2 - you cannot tell me that the infections in China reached the level they were at in the fall of 2019 and there was NOTHING here and other places. Thats not how this stuff works. it is simply not possible. Too much travel from China to other places for that to even be even remotely plausible.

#3 - that means that a whole bunch of people who were sick with something that resembled a bad cold or the flu or even pneumonia earlier this year or late last year were actually fighting Covid-19........

There is now a blood test to look for Covid-19 antibodies in blood. If they distribute that test widely then there is reason to begin to trust again. If they do not then see #1 and #2.

I hope everyone has what they need and they are safe and this crap blows over without any of the red flags popping up to end up actually being things to worry about.

So we are as close to martial law in many places now as we've ever been in our lifetimes. Those who are students of history know the concerns we should have around what we are giving up in the name of safety and/or perceived risk reduction.

I am not expert on history but I have read a lot of books. We have to acknowledge where we are in terms of technology as well. There's enough AI out there to emulate me or you or anyone else that it would be weeks or months before anyone would even miss us if we were gone. We aren't gathering in places like church or schools, etc. Nazi Germany did the exact same thing.

Here is where common sense kicks in for me and I have to call bull**** ......

#1 - if the liberal media is pushing this like a D9 CAT, don't trust it. There is something up with it.

#2 - you cannot tell me that the infections in China reached the level they were at in the fall of 2019 and there was NOTHING here and other places. Thats not how this stuff works. it is simply not possible. Too much travel from China to other places for that to even be even remotely plausible.

#3 - that means that a whole bunch of people who were sick with something that resembled a bad cold or the flu or even pneumonia earlier this year or late last year were actually fighting Covid-19........

There is now a blood test to look for Covid-19 antibodies in blood. If they distribute that test widely then there is reason to begin to trust again. If they do not then see #1 and #2.

I hope everyone has what they need and they are safe and this crap blows over without any of the red flags popping up to end up actually being things to worry about.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

I've been on a boat for 28 days. I'm scheduled off tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing my family and sleeping in my own bed without dual 2,000 hp diesel engines screaming right below me. But my boss called a little while ago to tell me that my relief isn't showing up tomorrow. Says he has a "sore throat". He did the same to me last hitch, but I guess he's going for some extra time off this go around.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Wuhan has a top bio chemical plant located in Wuhan hmmm

Watch movie "epidemic" Netflix scary stuff
    I'm not buying into it,something is off ..I will self quarantine with the family and i wish everyone good health and safe travels..Fingers crossed small businesses can make it through as well.

Worldometer.com
    This site is updated daily

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Correction
    Netflix movie (series) is called "pandemic"

Of course most people will get covid-19. All they are doing is trying to flatten the curve so it doesn't go so out of control that the health care system is unable to help the critically ill. Look at Italy where they are forced to decide who lives and dies because they can't care for everyone

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast