Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Anybody got the Corona virus yet?

Couple of positive cases in KC area, I fear the social reaction potential more than the current virus.

Well see what happens over the next few months. I work in healthcare, and there is much communication and planning currently.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I'm afraid of the economical impact it's gonna have on most area's. I'm in St.louis and they cancelled the NCAA attendance for fans. It will only be teams, and supporting personal in the arena. Our local St. Pats parade has been cancelled as well. STL will lose a ton in revenue.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Same in KC, tournament will have no spectators and parade was cx also.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Was at the Dr's office yesterday for a check up. This is suburban Chicago area, University of Chicago Medical. I asked how many cases he's seen....'zero'. St. Pat's Day parade in Chicago cancelled. My Mom lives in assisted care at Alexian Village in Elk Grove. They are not allowing visitors for the next 30 days(family or friends). I understand precaution and pro-active response, but it seems excessive. There have been 19 cases reported in all of Illinois. They declared a state of emergency. NBA has suspended their season.

Major pro sports don't need live fans anymore for income.
    Outdoor parades usually have good ventilation and movement. Odd to outright cancel them.

Noticed certain store products cleaned out by hourders, panic.
    The usual. Hurricane areas are prob used to that. Others are not. Same thing every year.
    Wise to be prudent, but gray area overreaction is more common now than in the distant past.
    I guess better to be safe than sorry.
    Like stop and go traffic, parts of the supply chain will be disrupted, especially imported goods.

Here in Round Rock, TX, folks are worked up. An employee at Dell Computers visiting from India was here one week ago and subsequently tested positive on his return home. They shut down the entire Dell campus and have everyone working from home for the next 30 days.

They've also closed down the University of Texas and extended spring break an additional week.

Biggest story is they cancelled SXSW festival. Lots of lost revenue.

Everyone raided the stores and took all the toilet paper, bottled water, soap, rubbing alcohol & hand sanitizer. Luckily we're stocked up fine for the next month, when this thing hopefully dies off. The media is doing everything to fan the flames.

Several cases up the road at Ft. Hood, but hopefully they'll keep that contained.

Fingers crossed!

There are 44 confirmed cases in Colorado as of this time. The panic and general stupidity abounds. We don't even have a reported case in our community and not even the county as of yet, but there is no toilet paper, paper products, hand sanitizer, bottled water, etc. on the shelves in any stores locally.

Now being in the healthcare industry, I have talked to lots of healthcare professionals and they all say the same . . . WHY THE PANIC!??? Unless they are lying to us, this is essentially a bad strain of the flu. Take the necessary precautions, be smart, wash your hands, etc. and we will be fine. Sorry to say, but I believe social media and other agendas are driving this narrative at this point.

Again I don't want anyone getting sick or dying from this illness, but the wide spread hysteria and panic is a bit much for everything I have seen and know at this point in time. Hope it all blows over soon and we can get back to business as usual. Soap Box OFF!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I work in entertainment and my company has lost a lot of jobs across the country because of the scare. AFI awards in California, earth day in washington dc., John Stewart Night of too many stars in Madison Square Garden, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Cleveland and the list goes on and on and is still growing. So far NCAA final four in Atlanta has not been cancelled for me but anything can happen at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by STL79Coupe View Post
    I'm afraid of the economical impact it's gonna have on most area's. I'm in St.louis and they cancelled the NCAA attendance for fans. It will only be teams, and supporting personal in the arena. Our local St. Pats parade has been cancelled as well. STL will lose a ton in revenue.
    I have a friend that helps run that parade....he is bummed out.
    My Mom and Pop's retirement home (in Des Pere) is shut down to visitors due to 3 employees went home with a fever.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I work in entertainment and my company has lost a lot of jobs across the country because of the scare. AFI awards in California, earth day in washington dc., John Stewart Night of too many stars in Madison Square Garden, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Cleveland and the list goes on and on and is still growing. So far NCAA final four in Atlanta has not been cancelled for me but anything can happen at this point.
    Well the entire NCAA tournament is now cancelled. So much for what I just wrote.

We also lost out on going to NAB as well.

FEP Member

We got moved online for our college classes here in Florida, plus my old man is convinced he had it back in late January (probably jus5 a really bad flu tho)

All public schools in Ontario are closed for 3 weeks,
    Grocery stores are sold out of TP and are rationing tissues and paper towels, spent an hour at the checkout line after work tonight.
    Juno awards have been cancelled.

My parents are in Florida and were informed that as Canadians that their travel health insurance will not cover corona virus while in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tp will there be a run on fresh corn on the cob? Double duty.
    To each his own.
    Then there are the hypochondriacs. Anxiety. Defcon 2. Y2K. 911.
    Like getting car ready for winter or summer. Should be at that level all the time.
    Hope they be safe and cautious when suddenly overusing and being exposed to all those cleaning chemicals.

Initially, I agreed with the perceptions above.
    But, I work in the Mass/Greater Boston area.

Fwiw, The greater Boston area has the real potential to make Italy look like a minor nuisance.

There are many things with this virus that makes it very risky.
    1) People can have the virus, and transmit the virus to others, for over a week before they show any symptoms.

2) For people under 25, they may get the virus, pass it one to many others, and never have any real symptoms.

For people under 40, and in typical health, the virus is likely a minor or non issue.

As people's ages go up, and with people that are not in typical health, the risks start to increase greatly.

So, basically, Boston(and surrounding cities/towns) a massive college and twenty-something area, can have close to a million young people just going around and spreading a virus that kills older people and people in less than ideal health.

People having the virus, and not knowing it (especially younger people) was a major factor in the first outbreak in China.
    That may be part of why the number of infected people in Italy is so high right now.

See:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_c...Italy#Timeline

See what happened to Italy in just over two weeks:

In the Greater Boston area, a big issue is that people in a Biogen meeting in Boston were a "ground zero" for a number of people to get the virus, then to go around and interact with other groups of large people.
    One Biogen person didn't have symptoms for a week, and even attended another big conference after the Biogen meeting.

As things became clearer, the Greater Boston area has been shutting down very quickly.
    Many companies have already told their people work from home - do not come in.

Don't forget, it's not just that Joe or John is sick, it is who else they get sick in the company. Then, who those secondary people get sick, and so on.
    This can go on for over a week, before anyone even knows that anyone was sick.
    So, by the time the first person gets symptoms, a good portion of the work force is sick.

The above is not make believe.
    The above is exactly what happened in Italy - many times.

So, it's different if a few people have the virus, and it's easy to isolate the secondary people those initial few came in contact with.
    In most other areas in America, that is the case.

In the Boston area, we may be screwed.
    Hopefully, the restriction of social interaction was done quick enough, to avoid the Boston area becoming like Italy.

Also, don't think for a second that no one every travels out of Boston.
    Boston and NYC are major travel and business hubs.
    So, if the virus did spread greatly after the Biogen meeting, then the rest of the country will start to see more cases.

All we can do is hope and pray that things were contained fast enough in the Boston area.

One of the many articles about the Boston area outbreak:

https://www.boston.com/news/health/2...ot-like-italys

Also, I do not know how accurate this graph or information is:
    https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/statu...71260186456066

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for good luck.
    Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 03-12-2020 at 08:29 PM.

FEP Power Member

My work has sent us home to work from home. That works until I have to go someplace and teach a class. There is plenty of information on the negative affects. Not enough on the positive info like recovery numbers. We seem to be lacking specific details on how we are getting exposed.

My guess, we are just getting started and it will be a month or more before we hope to see the end.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Common sense on this stuff seems to have gone out the window. I sincerely hope no one reading this and no one any of us know gets sick from it.

Having asthma I must put my trust in the lord or I would live in a state of panic myself. Getting it could very-well be it for me. The other side is all we can do is stay smart. Wash hands. Stay away from big crowds of people. Get plenty of rest. Keep the ol immune system as strong as possible.

Those who know me know I lost a cousin that was more like a brother to me than my own brother on Thanks Giving morning 1995. Bobby had an older brother who 6 years before that lost his life in the US Navy aboard the USS White Plains. What happened on May 9 1989 is now declassified and it is very clear Paul was nothing short of a goddamn hero. A loss of two cousins - my aunt and uncles only kits -- is just 6 years was and is a jagged dagger to live with even now. I went through a long period of wanting to know why and the reality is if the good lord wanted me to know he would have told me.

The thing my cousin Bobby would often say that always sticks with me is "when it's your time to go it's your time to go and there's not a goddamn thing you or anyone else is going to do about it".

While long gone, his word are still absolutely right today.

Life is too short. So each day I thank the good lord for everything and go about my day. And maybe wash my hands a time or two more than typical I'd say.

It's refreshing to see that most posters here understand just exactly what this is - an extreme overreaction fueled by the media.

I've already survived several epic public health threats, bird flu, swine flu, ebola, AIDS, and even the end of the world Y2K crisis. I'm fairly sure I'll make it through this one as well.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

FEP Senior Member

I'm not worried about the COVID-19 virus. The CDC says 40-70% of the world's population will get it. We decided to not play the IF we get it, but more the WHEN we get game. We went to town yesterday to grab a few things and order enough feed for our animals for a month. We're going to hunker down on our property and see what happens. We have enough work to do to get ready for the gardening season, fencing projects, and I have plenty in the garage to keep me entertained. I'm more worried about my employment in the auto industry and the after effects of what is about to happen.