Close

Thread: 93 Headrest

Default 93 Headrest

1993 Mustang GT
    How do the headrest come off?
    Thanks,
    ed

There is a groove in the shaft of the headrest near the bottom of it. In the seat frame there is a metal spring clip that catches in the groove to prevent the headrest from pulling out.

One way to remove it to use something like an old school "slim Jim" slid down along the headrest shaft to pry/pop the clip off the shaft while pulling up on the shaft to release it. Another method is to unzip or release the bottom of the upper cover on the back of the seat. Stick your arm up inside the cover and feel around until you find the clip that catches on the headrest and again pry up/out to get it to release. You may be able to do it with your hand or a small flat blade screwdriver or small pry bar. As prying up/out on the clip pull or push up on the headrest to release.

Sounds more complicated than it is. Once you have done a pair of seats, it's pretty simple deal, until then a bit of a PITA. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

It seems to always be a struggle for me every time lol. I always succeed though, but I my defense I only do it like every 10 years.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I just did a set and Trey nailed it. Unzip and go up through the back, I have done a couple sets and have never had luck with the "slin jim" method. Hope you have long skinny arms! 1/4 inch wide about 8" long screwdriver worked best for me (not the little Craftsman one).

Kenny

The last ones I fought with required a putty knife prying out on the clip AND a long handled screwdriver that I blunted with a grinder then a few firm raps with a hammer.....

Bleeping headrests.

Thanks Guys,
    ed