Close

Thread: Steering loose

Default Steering loose

I recently purchased an 84 SVO and the steering wants to wander. I checked everything out and the inner tie rod ends are shot. The car has 80k miles on it. Im trying to decide to replace the entire rack or just the inner/outer tie rods.

Does anyone know where I can buy an entire rack or the inner and outer tie rods ? Ive researched and cant find direct part numbers. My 84 I guess has a TRW rack does that matter ? thanks for any help....

If the rack itself is in good shape and not leaking, I'd recommend replacing the tie rods. If you feel the rack does need work then I'd consider finding a shop or sending yours out to be rebuilt. Or rebuild it yourself if you are capable. Seal kits are available.

My experience with parts store reman racks has been questionable. May be my luck, but all of the ones I've dealt with have leaked. There is also the factor of whether you'll get a rack with the same specs as the one you're replacing.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

85mustang... Do you know if any 84 mustang tie rod ends will fit the SVO rack ? Ive been researching and cant find hardly anything listed for an SVO. My other concern is my car is an 84 which I guess used the TRW rack.

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with the SVO's. Someone else will need to confirm the tie rod compatibility. Assuming from what I see online though, they appear to all use the same inner and outer tie rods, at least for 1984's.

I don't recall exactly when the TRW racks were phased out. You should be able to visually identify which rack you have fairly easily. The Ford racks use a 1-piece cast aluminum housing. TRW racks were a 2-piece aluminum and steel housing. Pics showing differences in the following link:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Fix-or-Replace
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

FEP Power Member

It sounds like you are not sure what the actual problem is. Inner or outer tie rods, rack? You forgot the steering coupler rag joint. All are simple repairs.
    Racks either stick, aka not return or leak.
    Tie rods, jack up 1 side and grab the wheel to see where the play is. Then try the other side.
    Rag joint, check for steering wheel play with both wheels on the ground and look for play in the steering shaft.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles