Close

Default Mid 80s Porsche 944 rear spoiler on Bubble Back Capri???

I was recently discussing with a friend of mine options for a rear spoiler on my '83 Capri. He mentioned seeing somewhere on Facebook a capri that someone had adapted a rear spoiler from a 198? 944 Porsche. He sent me a picture which appears to confirm that however it's very difficult to tell a lot from the picture. I've attached the picture that I have and would love to hear if anyone else is familiar with what this takes to do.

[attach]131537[/attachName:  FB_IMG_1583025803614.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  316.6 KBName:  FB_IMG_1583025803614.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  316.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have heard the stories, but can't say I have ever seen one in person. I did happen to drive behind a 944 on the way to work this morning. Pretty ironic I think. I can definitely see the similarities between the 944 and the Bubble back Capri. Besides the aerodynamic improvements for Tom Gloy and others, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the "look" Mercury was going for with the new for 83 rear hatch.

Anyway, I am sure it could be done, but the question is how much work, how difficult, how well does the finished product look, and what type of skills does the average owner have to accomplish the task. Everyone will have to answer those questions on their own as they will very from person to person and vehicle to vehicle.

Although not a cheap option, but if you like the look and you don't want to fabricate, then just buy the original ASC rear spoiler and don't worry about it.

https://www.ascmclaren.com/extparts.htm

Hatchback spoiler (cpe)
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the feedback Trey! I have confirmed the 944 spoiler is about 2-3 inches to narrow in width. I was strongly considering the ASC Hatchback spoiler but wanted something just a little bit bigger - not stupid big but bigger.

I'm thinking about ordering one of these 944 spoilers and hacking it up to see if I can make it work but still on the fence. I guess I have about a hundred other things to work on first but I'll keep everyone posted on what I do.

That is my same issue with the ASC McLaren rear spoiler. I like it, but I want something a bit more aggressive. I have plans for making my own, but starting a new business and other things keep getting in the way. I am hoping in the very near future I will have time to work on it and fabricate a cool looking rear spoiler for the Bubble Back Capri.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    That is my same issue with the ASC McLaren rear spoiler. I like it, but I want something a bit more aggressive. I have plans for making my own, but starting a new business and other things keep getting in the way. I am hoping in the very near future I will have time to work on it and fabricate a cool looking rear spoiler for the Bubble Back Capri.
    Trey, keep me posted. HIGHLY interested.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

and damn, I saw 1 in my local pick a part not to long ago.............
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I’ve been there myself!
    What kind of business are you starting?

Quote Originally Posted by foot2floor View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Trey! I have confirmed the 944 spoiler is about 2-3 inches to narrow in width. I was strongly considering the ASC Hatchback spoiler but wanted something just a little bit bigger - not stupid big but bigger.

I'm thinking about ordering one of these 944 spoilers and hacking it up to see if I can make it work but still on the fence. I guess I have about a hundred other things to work on first but I'll keep everyone posted on what I do.
    My buddy has a 1985 944, and just an FYI and you may already know this. But the the factory spoiler is a big chunk of rubber.

I guess what I’m getting at is that I would check and see if that one you’re ordering is all fiberglass. That would make it a lot easier to modify. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1920710
    My buddy has a 1985 944, and just an FYI and you may already know this. But the the factory spoiler is a big chunk of rubber.

I guess what I’m getting at is that I would check and see if that one you’re ordering is all fiberglass. That would make it a lot easier to modify. Just my .02
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately all I can find is a factory OEM part which is rubber. Anyone got any ideas on how a guy could modify something like that or graft 2 together? Okay sounds good

Many of your high quality 2 part urethane/plastic adhesives, etc. will bond to the rubber, just have to pick the right one. 3M, Oatey, Lord Fusor, and others. The issue often with the old rubber/plastic based parts is that they tend to swell, expand, deform, etc. over time due to heat and humidity. The 86-92 Firebird/Trans Am's had a similar issue with their rear wings. Truthfully it would not be my first choice to start a project with. For all the headaches and trouble you would be better off just buying the ASC or starting from scratch to build your own IMHO. Unfortunately with the old urethane/rubber parts the new adhesives either work really well or NOT AT ALL. Unfortunately all too often it is a trial and error scenario. I had similar issues years ago with trying to bond the SVO upper wings back together at the parting line where they all split and or cracked. At the time, I was unable to find anything available that would hold long term. Looked great when we finished and left the shop and then 3-6 months later the customer was back with the same issues. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I just found someone who's about an hour away with a 944 spoiler for $45. I think I'm going to take the plunge at modifications and possibly throw away $45 or potentially end up with a bigger spoiler that will work on my Capri.

To Trey's point, if it looks cool but doesn't hold up I'll feel ok later buying the ASC wing since this is for me and not a customer.

I have the 944 spoiler and I haven't cut it to widen it yet but I think it will better serve to make a mold rather then be modified... might have wasted $45.

Curious but didn't someone on here do fiberglass replicas of the ASC wing on these cars, Or was that just a dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Foureyed81 View Post
    Curious but didn't someone on here do fiberglass replicas of the ASC wing on these cars, Or was that just a dream?
    I remember that some one made a mold and was taking orders to make.....BUT who knows what happened to that dream???????
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009