Close

FEP Member

Default Braided lines and booster upgrade options for SVO?

Well, my 1986 SVO appears to have its factory brake lines still and a bad brake booster. These are taking a higher priority than any of the other parts purchases I have in the cue cause if I can’t stop, handling wont do me any good. I’m thinking about going with braided stainless lines, as I’ve had great success with that style on other cars, but I can’t get them from my usual guys (TCE Performance). Additionally, given that I know booster jobs are a real PITA, if I have to replace it I’m considering maybe upgrading it. Any recommendations for a good braided stainless brake line kit? What about options for a brake booster upgrade?
    Last edited by ClayBelt; 03-08-2020 at 08:58 PM.

My .02 for what it's worth. The original SVO brake system worked pretty well for the car overall. The system is Ford's version of high performance brakes using off the shelf Ford parts at the time. Not perfect, but still a good system especially for the mid 80's.

There are plenty of options today to improve the braking performance of the average Fox, the issue is the SVO is a unique brake system that once you start altering it, the braking performance tends to degrade and the problems begin. I am not aware of any real "upgrade" boosters for the SVO. I suppose the 93 Cobra booster might be an "upgrade" but I personally am not that impressed with the booster swap on other Mustangs and in many cases on the early Foxes it's a PITA to fit. Personally I would buy a good quality replacement booster and not worry about it.

As for the stainless steel brake lines, I believe Maximum Motorsports offers a set for the SVO as well as the SS caliper sleeves. I would recommend both. Install those with some good quality rotors (Don't need drilled rotors, but slotted can be a benefit) and a GOOD set of brake pads and I am sure you will be impressed with the overall braking of the SVO (assuming all the other parts are operating correctly). Hawk, Performance Friction, and others make quality brake pads. Most of the auto parts store stuff is crap these days and not worth the $$, again IMHO. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I went to Classic Tubes for stainless brake lines on my '04 Sierra 1500. The kit included braided hoses and all fittings. The only problem I had was the line from the ABS module that sits under the rear of the cab and runs along the frame to the front, crosses over to the passenger side then back to the ps front wheel. The fitting for the hose at that corner was the wrong size. Made a phone call and a replacement was in hand 3 days later. Had to pull the bad one and install the replacement which was a pain, but they stood behind their work. CT shows a kit for the 86 SVO but no pictures. Might be worth a phone call.

www.classictube.com

W
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

I used Russell braided lines with the right banjo fitting on one end, and then AN adapters on the other when I had that style rear brakes.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Member

Looks like LMR carries the Classic Tube ones, and the photos look right to me. I’ll probably get those and a booster from somewhere or other