Close

Default Wanted: Power Steering hard line

Apologies if this isn't the place a wanted request should be but I couldn't find a more suitable area.
    I'm looking for the short hard line on my 84 SVO and was wondering if there was another vehicle I may scavenge off of or if someone has an extra one lying around, hell I'll even take suggestions on how to make my own.
    Are the hard lines high pressure lines? can I make one out of rubber hose?
    Thanks in advance for your help.Name:  steering hard line 2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  263.3 KBName:  steering hard line.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  251.6 KB

It may be the lack of sleep the last week or so.... But I don't recognize the line in question. It goes from where to where on the PS? The High Pressure line is a steel reinforced flexible rubber line, the return line is just standard rubber hose. That doesn't look like the hard line on the rack that attaches to the PS cooler/return line. So I am drawing a blank right now. Sorry!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Tada. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,17973

"Hydraulic transfer tubing assembly"

I'm not sure what they are made out of, but just about any hydraulic shop should be able to make a new one.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Wraith, its the small line in the attachment.

Haystack, I bought one of those hard lines but it turns out that the TRW steering rack has a different sized fitting than a Ford hard line(weird). I was told that this particular line was a high heat ,high pressure line but how high heat-pressure can it be if the high pressure line from the pump to the rack and pinion is made of rubber? I think I'm going to try the hydraulic shop hose, see how it goes.. thanks for the input.

Name:  svo rack and pinion.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  45.8 KB

Why not buy yourself a piece of steel tube of the same size, an inexpensive hand tube bender and flaring tool and make your own. Reuse the tube fittings from the original tube. Use the original tube as a pattern for bending up the new one. Put the tube fittings on and flare the ends.

Or your local hydraulic shop should be able to do the same if you'd rather go that direction.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack