Close

Default Help: Outer Door Belt Trim Removal

Can somebody please explain how to remove this piece. Bringing door to painter on Sunday. I can't figure out.

1986 Convertible

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It has plastic pushin “Christmas tree’s” that hold it in. All of mine broke taking it off so in bought new ones at an auto body supply shop.
    A trip removal tool should help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it

FEP Senior Member

Yep, just carefully lift up the piece of trim and the plastic "Christmas trees" as stated above will pull out. Easy Peasy.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

This piece is vert specific and I think a variation thereof also came on the LX cars. It is aluminum and it will bend easily, so don't force it. It is held on with plastic pieces under the trim that fit into another plastic piece which secures within a hole and/or holes in the door. I can't remember but think there is also an attaching screw under the side rear view mirror, so you will need to take that off anyway to keep from damaging the piece...they are hard to find these days and the repos are steel and not aluminum. When you pry up on it the plastic pieces will break. The trim is slotted underneath to allow the plastic insert piece to slide into position and align with the other plastic piece in the hole of the door. When I did mine about 8 years ago, the upper slotted plastic piece was available, but the plastic piece that fits down into the holes were not. No biggie as my fix works better and keeps water from getting into those holes and down within the cavity of the door. I bought rubber grommets...through the firewall type grommets...that insert into the holes and the upper sliding plastic piece just secures into the grommet. The rubber grommet is basically an o-ring that the outside diameter has a slot in it that allows it to secure within the hole. I want to say it was a 1/4"-1/8"-1/8"...or something along those lines...but you can do a search and find my post from back when I went through that should you decide to go that route.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Thanks. Great info. Appreciate it