Close

Default 1986 GT Steering Wheel Puller Threads

Does anyone know what the thread is in the steering wheel holes for the puller?

Another member asked the question in another thread but no one answered. Someone must know.

Okay. A little more. Are the threads metric or imperial? I'm putting on a new steering wheel and I'd like to clean out the threads as they are a little rusty and imperial and metric bolts don't go in easy. The steering wheel is really nice and I don't want to damage the threads when I clean them.

FEP Super Member

Sae threads .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

The '79-up (hornless) wheel floating loose in my shop is 5/16 NF.

Mike

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

Looks that in my wheel someone took it off using coarse thread bolts jammed in the hole. Coarse 5/16 SAE bolts go down a few threads and then stop. Bummer. Looking deeper in the hole it does look like fine threads. One of those things with used parts you buy online. I don't need the correct threads for installing the wheel but I may want to take it off sometime and may need them in good shape. Could be Helicoil to the rescue.

Thanks again for the responses.

I purchased a couple of 3" X 5/16 NF grade 8 bolts for my puller from the local auto parts store and cleaned out the threads in the holes with a 5/16 NF bottoming tap and all went well. It was a little tricky to get the tap started correctly but I was able to do it. Big improvement over the old wheel which was pretty scratched up from something, possibly a club.