Close

Default In tank fuel pump options

Hey guy, so I dropped my tank this weekend to get ready for running my new fuel lines. Now I'm reconsidering using my in line holley black fuel pump and thinking of getting a aftermarket in tank one. It will be a lot easier and I dont have to worry about mounting and gravity and all that. My tank from my carbed 84 is still in good shape so I would like to just clean and reuse it if I can. Is it possible to use a aftermarket in tank pump with that tank? If so what do I all need? Anybody have any recommendations? Oh and I guess I should mention that the motor is a 91 that's been converted to carb so it's still set up for electric pump.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 03-01-2020 at 10:36 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

The EFI vs carb tanks are shaped the same but the EFI tanks have a hole for the fuel pump hanger,etc.

I am not aware of an aftermarket in-tank pump that would fit with your 84 tank.

You could go to an EFI tank and intank hanger, etc..... but why?

Why wouldn't you get at front cover for a mechanical fuel pump and an fuel pump essentric and keep things configured as an 84?

I'm rebuilding a 91 EFI roller motor into a 331 stroker and doing that exact thing on my 85 build.

I already had a pump essentric on hand ...... don't remember the part number. Here's what else I picked up to solve this very thing on my car:
    PIONEER 500302E Timing Cover $ 83.79
    CARTER M60253 Fuel Pump $ 15.79

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    The EFI vs carb tanks are shaped the same but the EFI tanks have a hole for the fuel pump hanger,etc.

I am not aware of an aftermarket in-tank pump that would fit with your 84 tank.

You could go to an EFI tank and intank hanger, etc..... but why?

Why wouldn't you get at front cover for a mechanical fuel pump and an fuel pump essentric and keep things configured as an 84?

I'm rebuilding a 91 EFI roller motor into a 331 stroker and doing that exact thing on my 85 build.

I already had a pump essentric on hand ...... don't remember the part number. Here's what else I picked up to solve this very thing on my car:
    PIONEER 500302E Timing Cover $ 83.79
    CARTER M60253 Fuel Pump $ 15.79
    Well main reason I did not go mechanical was because I was convinced to go electric inline pump. Plus the fact that I was and still am a rookie so it seemed easier to go inline as I had the pump and regulator given to me. Still ok with going in line just was questioning whether mounting the pump a bit lower than tank would provide enough gravity for fuel as connections are on top of tank.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Also rather than starting new thread I'd thought I'd ask in this one. What size are the ends on the stock 84 sending unit. I'm getting quick disconnects for my 6an braided fuel line. Looks like return line is 1/4 and other is 5/16? Or is it 3/8?
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 03-02-2020 at 11:21 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I believe the 1/4 and 5/16 is correct.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Perfect thanks Trey
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Just went through this on my daughters 84. Threw away the Holley electric pump mounted on the frame rail and Installed a parts store mechanical pump. After changing the front cover, fuel pump eccentric, Timing set. Due to someone Installing a Ford SVO crate engine years ago with a E.F.I. timing cover. All back factory now with no loud fuel pump whine.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)