Close

Default Carb Decision - Opinions Needed

Hello All,

85 GT, stock and carb'd. Finally trying to get it back on the road I'm not worried about the car staying original but it will stay carb'd and only slightly modified.

I want it to be as reliable as possible as it will be daily driven by my son. Also looking for best bang for the buck in terms of cost AND my own time (labor).

Rebuild the stock carb, or go aftermarket? Car has been sitting for 20 years so if I stay stock I'll need to completely rebuild the 4180.

All thoughts and opinions are welcomed, including those that involve swapping the intake.

Thanks much!!

BG

Stock carb, pretty well sorted at the factory. A very good rebuild and he should be set for quite a while.

Pull the stock carb apart, put the parts into a bucket of carb parts cleaner and let it soak for a while. Blow everything out really good top to bottom then reassemble it with a rebuild kit.

Be sure to count the rotations out as your remove your idle adjustments, etc. Putting them back where they were at is a really good starting point usually.
    Last edited by erratic50; 03-02-2020 at 12:34 AM.

Take a look at the following thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...vs-aftermarket

Imho, just skim it first, since there's a lot of good info near the bottom of the thread.

Good Luck!

If it were me I would spend the money on the intake manifold as that's a real bottle neck that chokes things down. Rebuild the 4180c and bump the primary jets up a little because of the oxygenated fuel we are now getting.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Last edited by bgettel; 03-02-2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Mis-post.

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    If it were me I would spend the money on the intake manifold as that's a real bottle neck that chokes things down. Rebuild the 4180c and bump the primary jets up a little because of the oxygenated fuel we are now getting.
    Thanks man - what intake would you recommend?

See my comments inside the thread linked in post #4 above. But, if you do decide to rebuild your stock 4180C, upsize your primary jets from the stock 62's to 64's due to the modern ethanol mix pump fuels. There's plenty of info on the web about cutting a notch with a hacksaw in the bottom of the base plate at each of the (4) corner idle adjustment screws. I'd remove all (4) needles and springs prior to soaking the base plate in carb cleaner to get rid of any varnish and allow for fine tuning your idle after it's re-assembled after the rebuild. I'd also order a Holley 20-12 accelerator pump cam kit to help get rid of the lean hesitation these carbs are known for. I've had best luck with the orange and green pump cams with all the slop adjusted out of the accelerator pump linkage (spring and bolt combo pushing down on the pump diaphragm lever). Make sure the car is up to temp when adjusting the slop out, otherwise there will be a gap when the choke comes off the high idle detent, which will cause a delay in the pump shot (hesitation when getting back on the throttle after shifting).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...xoCYfwQAvD_BwE

As for intake manifolds, I chose the Weiand 8124 mainly for hood clearance and because I didn't want to get rid of my stock underhood heat blanket. It works great, but I'm sure the Stealth would eek out a little more power. But, there's now way a stealth would fit without without removing the underhood blanket. As it is, it still rubs the decal on my stock aircleaner lid. That's with the lower convertible engine mounts and only a 1/4" phenolic spacer between the carb and the intake. I would have like to run at least a 1/2 in spacer for better heat insulation between the intake and the carb to prevent fuel boiling during the summer months. This carb also has the exhaust crossover that runs beneath the carb to aid in heating the manfold during cold weather (like your stock 4V intake). You won't be able to run your EGR valve and plate with this intake. You'll also won't have all the positions to mount some of the intake mounted sensors.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...4wnd/make/ford

If you get tired of the 4180C's like I did, the Summit carb is an excellent carb that tunes and adjusts EXACTLY like a Holley. Because it comes with a dual feed hard line, I had to relocate the coil from the stock location to a position on top of the A/C support bracket.
    Last edited by 854vragtop; 03-02-2020 at 02:38 PM.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

Thanks for the information!!!!

"Thanks man - what intake would you recommend?"

I run the Ford Racing high rise dual plane M-9424-F302 unit and have been really happy with it. It's not made anymore but you can still find them at Summit, Jegs, etc. Other off brand companies make a very similar version but I wanted to keep everything on my car Ford or Ford Racing.
    Last edited by bwguardian; 03-02-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

My mildly-modified '85 Hatch has the Edelbrock #3721 Performer 302 intake, otherwise retaining the stock
    4180C, and all the factory plumbing. On the exhaust side, I have JBA shorties into an '86-'93 style Magnaflow
    2-1/2" 4-cat X-pipe, backed by 2-1/2" cat-back, Flowmasters, and tails.

While some will say the 3721 is no better than the stock intake, I beg to differ. The intake bought me around
    500-700 RPM over what it would do with only the exhaust system, while improving torque down low. And to
    top it off, the combination easily passes Kalifornia's emissions test on the rollers.

One comment about rebuilding the 4180C - I won't use anything other than the Holley 3-1346 kit. My carb is
    using #63 jets, and a .031" squirter, but is otherwise stock.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune