Close

Default Fox noob getting back into the game, cowl question...

Ok, not a total noob, had a '94 GT 'vert back when they came out but that doesn't count. Searched these forums a bit and think I have come to a consensus opinion, but just wanted to confirm a question regarding 79-82 vs 83-86 cowl interchange.

It would appear that the wider cowl from the 83-86 is easily swapped (drill a couple holes) onto the early cars, but going the other way is a problem? Zapping shut a couple screw holes is no big deal, but is it the case that the air opening itself is a significantly different shape on the 83+ cars and the earlier grill cannot be used without cutting and pasting the cowl sheetmetal itself from the earlier car?

Thanks in advance

I think the difference is there is a recess area on the 79-82 cowl that the 83 up does not have. This is where the back part of the cowl grill bolts on then the other part slides into. I can get a pic my PC is apart getting body work. I have run a 83 up on a 80 cowl no problem.
    Chris,
    You guys go ahead and restore em! I'm gonna mod em!

79 Pace Car, 96K Original, Turbo 4, 4 speed. Soon to be V8 5 Speed!
    83 GT Project
    79 Z28 89K Original!

I know that I have a 80 Cobra nose and hood on my 83GT and the newer cowl grill doesn't have enough clearance for the hood to clear when raising it. The front of the newer cowl grill need to be sanded down a bit in the front in addition to adjusting the hood. I have a few of the grills, so if it didn't look right, I didn't mind.
    ~Paul

1982 Mustang GT
    1983 Mustang GT TTop
    1985 Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback
    1995 Ford F150 SVT Lightning
    www.cardomain.com/id/mustang4life1985

Gotchya. So an over-simplified way of describing it is that the early cowl sheet metal itself is depressed a bit to allow the grill to sit lower in addition to being narrower, so to do it right the sheet metal would need to be swapped/patched in from the earlier car and it's not just a matter welding shut the extra screw holes from the wider grill on the 83+ cars.

I suppose it's just another example of Car Guy Rule #1: Parts cars are your friend, buy as many as you have space and funds available

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew S View Post
    Gotchya. So an over-simplified way of describing it is that the early cowl sheet metal itself is depressed a bit to allow the grill to sit lower in addition to being narrower, so to do it right the sheet metal would need to be swapped/patched in from the earlier car and it's not just a matter welding shut the extra screw holes from the wider grill on the 83+ cars.

I suppose it's just another example of Car Guy Rule #1: Parts cars are your friend, buy as many as you have space and funds available
    Parts cars are always a plus! When the weather warms up, I will snap pics, but I think it came out pretty good. I still have to paint the grill and the car needs to be sanded down and prepped for paint.
    ~Paul

1982 Mustang GT
    1983 Mustang GT TTop
    1985 Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback
    1995 Ford F150 SVT Lightning
    www.cardomain.com/id/mustang4life1985