Close

Default 83gt rear brake disc help

hello every one i got a 83 gt 5speed manual i want to convert from the 4 lug drum brake to rear disc brake. i dont have money to go buy a $2000-$3000 brake kit from lmr . anyone that's used parts from a 94-95 mustang how hard and what parts do I need to have everything I need to complete the conversion? . just need some information on the parts I need to get from the junkyard before I go. thank you
    any information helps.

FEP Supporter

There are 2 great threads at the top of this section. One covers 4 lug upgrades and the other is focused on 5 lug upgrades. Check them out as there are a ton of options and ways to get where you want to go.

When I did this upgrade to my '85 and stayed 4 lug I used:
    - '87-'93 spindles and 73mm front calipers and slotted rotors (All bought used locally off Craigslist and I believe this setup is an old upgrade Maximum Motorsports used to sell)
    - T Bird rear calipers (From the boneyard), pads and discs (Rock Auto) and caliper brackets from North Racecars (Bought used off the Corral)
    - Application specific parking brake cables (Bought used off the Corral)
    - Ranchero 1" master cylinder (Rock Auto)
    - Gutted the stock proportioning valve with the Maximum Motorsports plug and their adjustable proportioning valve (Direct from MM)
    - '94-'95 rear caliper hoses (Rock Auto) with the Maximum Motorsports hard-line adapter fittings (Direct from MM)

I don't think I have more than $600.00 in the whole thing. It did take a little bit of time to gather everything up but I was in no real hurry. It feels good, stops better than the parts that were on there, and was pretty cheap so that's a win in my book.
    '85 GT

thank you for all that info really appreciate it