Close

Default 85 Mustang GT with "Sticky" Interior

Hey guys, I have a 56K mile 85 Mustang GT and the interior in the car is MINT. However, after being in storage for the past 2-3 years, and not driving the car too much, I have noticed a couple interior parts are starting to get that "sticky" feeling like the driver's arm rest, under the lip edge of the dash, etc. It's not the entire interior, just here and there. I'm super meticulous about my cars, and this is concerning me. What is causing it to occur? Can this stickiness be removed? How? Anyone else experience this? Since I bought it, I have never cleaned the interior at all, so it doesn't have ArmourAll or some heavy product on it (unless a prior owner applied it). The car is always stored indoors. I do live in FL, so the car is stored in a warmer client that is probably more humid, etc.
    1985 Mustang GT T-Tops, 5SPD, 56K Miles, Canyon Red

I have experienced the "sticky" interior parts a few times myself. I believe the heat and humidity do have something to do with it. I am not 100% but from what I have heard it has to do with the type of plastic the parts are and essentially they are 'oozing' some of the petroleum product inside of them. The arm rest and center console pad seem to be the worst in my experience.

As for how to deal with it, that I don't have a great answer for. In the past I have used a good mild plastic/rubber/vinyl cleaner to clean the parts and dry thoroughly. Then I have used some plastic/rubber/vinyl dressing (NOT ARMOUR ALL) to try and seal the part. Depending on the severity some times it works pretty well, other times not so much. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I don't know if this stuff will directly address your issue in terms of removing the residue, but I suspect it will. Otherwise, it is a great protectant/sealant:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/303-Aeros...16-oz/45626471

No afffiliation, yada, yada.
    1985 GT owned since new

I have the same issue with the map pockets in my Tbird. I never found anything yet, myself to take care of it. I'll look into the above.
    86' SVO 1C # 17 of 3379 86's #6475 of 9837
    86' SVO 1C #497 of 3379 86's #6955 of 9837
    84' GT Turbo #4 of 3241 GT Turbo HB's #560 of 3935
    87' Thunderbird TC 1 of 10
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...e-of-the-Month

I have yet to try it but I've been told to try a 50/50 mix of baking soda and water will work.

Only thing that gets sticky on my 3 Mustang interiors is my aftermarket vinyl wrapped steering wheel on the 85.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

I've used diluted vinegar on vinyl or rubber coated things like the steering wheel itself and middle portion of steering wheel, door and center armrests, e-brake handle. Anything vinyl. I also dusted it with some corn starch and let that just sit over night and then dusted it off clean in the morning. Together, those two things really worked and it never came back and that was about 4 years ago.

Eric

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

FEP Senior Member

Clean the inside with Spray 9...