Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to the forum and to Foxbody ownership.

My name is Matt, and I'm in Georgia. My dad bought this '85 Mustang years ago, and it was a fun car. It's a 302ci with 5 speed trans. I drove it but didn't do too much work to it besides maintenance. Well about 4 years ago the car needed some repairs that we just never got around to and since she wasn't a daily, she got neglected. Sat for 4 years without being touched. Recently, I bought it from my dad for 2k and now starts my journey. I put a battery in it, and poured some gas in the car and to my surprise, she fired right up. Oh, how I've missed that. I've got a lot of work ahead but it'll be worth it.

But, on a different note, I've been researching stuff and repairs on several forum sites, this has been the best one so I decided to join. this site has already provided me with several repairs trips that I will use. Thanks in advance for all the help. I'm sure I will spend most of my time here.

I know I know, the taillights are horrible, I'm going to find some oem style tails. they were on the car when my dad got it. It needs a bath, but it RUNS!!

Name:  20200223_163614.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  310.4 KB

Name:  20200223_163620.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  310.3 KB

Name:  20200223_163635.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  318.1 KB

Cool car and great story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I've got a lot of plans for this jewel. I'm going to safety check everything and start working on getting it road worthy. This is going to be a daily but with style. I want to get it repainted the same as it is but in a durable coat and good craftsmanship. I love the layout and colors.

Welcome!! Yes on the tailight replacement, plus a good cleaning and you will have a sweet ride. Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Dave9052 View Post
    Welcome!! Yes on the tailight replacement, plus a good cleaning and you will have a sweet ride. Congrats

Thanks, yeah never really been a fan of the aftermarket tails. maybe the LED ones but kinda just like the OEM tails. I don't know what I'm going to go with yet but I know I'm getting rid of these lol

Welcome to FEP... Good luck and have fun..

Wow! Those taillights.....

Cant go wrong with stock 85 lights. Welcome.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Welcome to the group, I recently also joined and I agree it has been a invaluable resource of info for me. I also agree that my favorite tail lights are the 85/86 tail lights or the SVO/Cobras. Anything else just looks a little off

FEP Senior Member

Welcome. What was wrong with it that caused it to sit years back?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Welcome. What was wrong with it that caused it to sit years back?

Well it has a small radiator leak down the side. my dad tried to solder it back and it worked for the most part but then broke loose again, so it needs a radiator. Then it has the AutoZone special metal fanblade on it and a couple of blades have broken. we just didn't have the time to fool with it so it sat. Now, I'm wanting to bring it back to its former glory and get it driving.

On the taillights, I want the Cobra tails, but I like the LX tails also. So, whichever I find first I'll go with and if I want a change I'll get the other next time. lol

I'm just curious, what's carbs are you guys running on your four eyes? I want a good running daily carb with an electric choke.

welcome to FEP,I have been here on and off since 2004 and its the best place to be we all love new projects here and pictures are a must lol
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Matt85Fox View Post
    I'm just curious, what's carbs are you guys running on your four eyes? I want a good running daily carb with an electric choke.
    I have a 600 Holley 4160 on my ‘83, nothing fancy, just works well.

I’ve got a Holley 4010 on the 292 Yblock in my wagon and I’m really impressed with how well it runs and how easy it was to tune. If I were doing another carbureted project I’d probably use a summit 4010 style carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    welcome to FEP,I have been here on and off since 2004 and its the best place to be we all love new projects here and pictures are a must lol
    Oh, once I get started in going to flood FEP with pictures. Y'all may even get tired of me lol

Quote Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
    I have a 600 Holley 4160 on my ‘83, nothing fancy, just works well.

I’ve got a Holley 4010 on the 292 Yblock in my wagon and I’m really impressed with how well it runs and how easy it was to tune. If I were doing another carbureted project I’d probably use a summit 4010 style carb.

Ill check these out. thanks for the info

Name:  Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 8.22.29 PM.png
Views: 219
Size:  229.8 KB

What about this one? sounds good

Welcome to FEP and hope things go well with getting your Mustang back on the road.

As for carburetor, the OEM Motorcraft Holley works pretty well if the car is essentially stock. I would recommend considering doing a complete overhaul and tune up on the stock carburetor before replacing. Walking Tall seems to be the one of the carburetor gurus here on FEP and might be worth reaching out to. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/member.p...4-Walking-Tall

Mishimoto offers a nice radiator replacement that I recommend over most of the box store auto parts retailers. You can buy it from many online vendors as well as a replacement fan clutch and plastic fan blade to return the cooling system to OEM specifications.

As for tail lights I will second the vote for the OEM 83-86 Mustang tail lights. Personally never liked the 87-93 LX tail lights and thought the 83-86 were the best option of all the Foxes. Apparently Ford agreed since the 93 Cobra tail lights are nothing more than the 84-86 SVO tail lights re-purposed. You can make your own as I do by either black/grey pinstripping stock 83-86 tail lights or buy new ones from any of the Mustang vendors. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Welcome to FEP and hope things go well with getting your Mustang back on the road.

As for carburetor, the OEM Motorcraft Holley works pretty well if the car is essentially stock. I would recommend considering doing a complete overhaul and tune up on the stock carburetor before replacing. Walking Tall seems to be the one of the carburetor gurus here on FEP and might be worth reaching out to. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/member.p...4-Walking-Tall

Mishimoto offers a nice radiator replacement that I recommend over most of the box store auto parts retailers. You can buy it from many online vendors as well as a replacement fan clutch and plastic fan blade to return the cooling system to OEM specifications.

As for tail lights I will second the vote for the OEM 83-86 Mustang tail lights. Personally never liked the 87-93 LX tail lights and thought the 83-86 were the best option of all the Foxes. Apparently Ford agreed since the 93 Cobra tail lights are nothing more than the 84-86 SVO tail lights re-purposed. You can make your own as I do by either black/grey pinstripping stock 83-86 tail lights or buy new ones from any of the Mustang vendors. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. I'm looking into different tails as I type. lol. But, my Foxbody is not stock in the least the engine mildly built. no fan shroud with the metal flex fan. I'm thinking of going with the SVE radiator kit with electric fans from lmr. I like the LX tails that don't have the pinstriping but I also like the cobras lol. Torn between a lot of options.

Either taillight option is miles better.... LOL

I ran a 600 holley vac secondary for years, never had any trouble.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I'm thinking of getting the holley 600. seems to be a good choice

I personally have had better luck over the years with the Edelbrock carbs over the Holley's but everyone is different. Just know that the 1406 is tuned for fuel economy and not performance out of the box. More $$ but better to buy the 1405 and add the electric choke if you need it.

As for Electric fans, I would recommend the Ford Contour fan setup over most of the aftermarket stuff. LMR even offers a bracket kit to make it fit the Fox radiator. You can pick the fan up at most parts stores or Rock Auto. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks everyone for the input. But for a little update, I drove the car home tonight from my dads. It's almost 20 miles, but she did great. Got a lot of cleaning to do, and the radiator is leaking pretty good out of the front on the fins. Definitely has to be changed so for now no driving until I get my parts in.

Welcome to FEP. I had them taillights years ago, I like my blacked out LED lights better.I am running a Edelbrock 750 cfm. I have had better luck with them as they do not bog or hesitate when you nail the gas pedal and been on my car for 15 years and no problems. I just pull it off and clean and polish it every couple of years.Can not wait ti see what you do with your stang. Might as well get you a good all aluminum radiator since you need to replace it.
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged347 View Post
    Welcome to FEP. I had them taillights years ago, I like my blacked out LED lights better.I am running a Edelbrock 750 cfm. I have had better luck with them as they do not bog or hesitate when you nail the gas pedal and been on my car for 15 years and no problems. I just pull it off and clean and polish it every couple of years.Can not wait ti see what you do with your stang. Might as well get you a good all aluminum radiator since you need to replace it.
    Yeah I think my mind is made up on the sve kit from lmr far as radiators go. And I was looking at the edelbrock 650 they have on lmr and the Holley 600. I just want a good running carb so I can drive my car everyday. Its about 40 miles to and from work so just a good one will do. But theres so many choices lol

The standard modern Prescription carbs wont ensure you have a safe air fuel ratio.

In the old days of V8 carb bolt ons, the risk was having an engine run lean and take out a piston or drop an exhaust valve.

Extensive work with the good old Big Block 396 3310 Holley 750 or 780 that was also used on the 4bbĺ 390 and Boss 302. And the 390 net horsepower RP0 83 GTHO engine. ( A Boss 351 with some Boss 302 hi po parts). Those old carbs have a reeally high idle and transition exhaust polution and rich big problem that can be easily fixed.

The modern over the counter Summit carbs arent well machinef and no mattr what you buy, youll have to asses hiw goid the air fuel ratios are. Its easy to destroy an engine with a bad carb tune. Ignition, carb and the exhaust and intake have to yield a safe air fuel ratio.

Down here in Australia and New Zealand, we never got low octane gas, even if it msy have had too much tolune ir benzene in it and consquentially, carb and fuel pump leaks causing fuel and vacuum line destruction.

If you like metering line carbs, then try one. Be aware that all new carbs might have potential problems with PCV, air cleaners, EGR, purge canister and the stock advance hookups. Electric chokes and lots of the other stock stuff are gone.

My Fords parts guy always said. If you know more than the Ford Motor Company...go for it.

My favorite non USA 5.0 carb is the Australian and US spec Carter Thermoquad 4bbl. If you find one, they make exceptional economy and performance. Used on some rare 318s, most 340s, some 360s, and all 1976 to 1985 4.9 and 5.8 liter 4bbl Clevelands. It was a 188 to 216 hp factory carb. The 4180C is a 174 to 220 hp carb also used on 460 trucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast