Close

FEP Senior Member

Default March deluxe pulley squealing

Hello everyone. I purchased a march deluxe pulley kit for my Mustang. When I tightened the belt up I had a leak on the water pump where it bolts to the block. If I loosen the belt the leak stops but the belt squeals. Has anyone had this issue before and what was your fix. Attached is a photo of the kit.

Name:  7C2FFA32-EF47-402F-B44A-E2B2FDCF6720.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  161.3 KB

Funny you should post this today. I may have gone through your solution yesterday. I have been fighting leaks between the timing cover and block for a couple of years. Early last year, I stripped it all off, replaced gaskets and sealed everything with black RTV. No leaks until the end of summer when some tiny leaks developed at the upper part of the timing cover. Small bead size drops would form on top of the gasket then run into the valleys. Wasn't sure what to do and thought about it all winter. I didn't want to strip it down again. I decided to just check torque on the bolts. Shroud, fan, belt, ac compressor, distributor cap and upper plastic part of the distributor moved out of the way. I was able to pretty easily turn all the timing cover bolts 1/2 turn. Not effortless, but easily. I'm sure they were tighter than that when I was done last year. I think I did some damage to my back with the breaker bar tightening them up this time. Fired it up and got it to temperature and pressure, and so far, no leaks. Time will tell, of course.

So, check your timing cover bolts. Sounds like some are loose enough to let your pulley set up pull the timing cover away from the block.

As an aside, I noticed a bulge developing in the coolant bypass hose. The little elbow between the water pump and the t-stat housing. Another pain. Oh well.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

FEP Senior Member

Thanks, I tightened the bolts and talked to my supplier. They said he pulleys could be slightly out of alignment. I’ll check it over the next few weeks to see if it is my problem.