Close

Default Anyone ever import a car from Canada into the USA

Found a Fairmont in Winnipeg and need it shipped to Indiana. The car was originally from the US. I can't seem to find any clear info on how to do it. Import fees, inspections, whatever legal hoops I need to jump through. Anyone ever have to do this?
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

FEP Power Member

I have run into issues with importing commercial parts. From what I have learned, you need to do your own leg work by getting the paperwork in line. A copy of the dealer invoice or US registration might be the first step.

In my case I was importing a commercial computer which was thought to be made in Taiwan or China. I was allowed an exception, 1-2 pieces for testing. Turns out it was made in Oregon but no one would even look at it. It’s all about the paperwork.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Did the person you are buying the car from have any paperwork from when it was in the US previously?

From the US Customs and Border Patrol website;

Re-Importing A Previously Exported Vehicle
    A vehicle taken from the United States for non-commercial, private use may be returned duty free by proving to CBP that it was previously owned and registered in the United States. This proof may be a state-issued registration card for the automobile or a bill of sale for the car from a U.S. dealer. Repairs or accessories acquired abroad for your vehicle must be declared on your return and may be subject to duty.
    In some countries, it will be difficult or impossible to obtain unleaded fuel for your vehicle. If the vehicle is driven using leaded gasoline, it will be necessary for you to replace the catalyst and oxygen sensor upon its return to the U.S. To avoid the expense of replacing these parts you may obtain authorization from EPA to remove the catalyst and oxygen sensor before the vehicle is shipped overseas. The EPA telephone number for these authorizations is (202) 564-2418. When the vehicle returns to the U.S., the original catalyst and oxygen sensor will need to be reinstalled. However, you may now reenter your U.S. version vehicle into the U.S. without bond, upon your assurance that you will have the reinstallation performed.
    Dave

1FABP28M4FF114537 bought 12/84 sold 1992
    1MEBP79M8FF613099 bought 9/13 sold 10/19
    1FABP28M4FF166315 bought 3/12 sold 5/21

1FABP28T7FF239068 bought 10/14
    1FABP28T9GF181465 bought 10/14

I brought a 67 Mustang back from Ontario Canada on a uhaul trailer 3 years ago. I had bought it in England in 95, shipped it to NY for 3 yrs, up to Canada for 20 yrs, and finally down to GA. Courtesy of NAFTA, being a US made car there was no duty or federal tax. I had declared it as being worth $28k.

Go online and check out all the paperwork for both countries as required. You may have to deal with emissions equipment inspections. It will then be your state that you will have to with regarding taxes, registration, safety or whatever is needed locally.

I also brought back a 97 BMW M3 years earlier that I had bought in NY before moving to Canada. Again called ahead, filled out paperwork, and drove across with a 30 minute stop at US customs to go thru paperwork. No duty because I could show the car had previously been imported/purchased into the US when new. They didnt double tax me.

I would add that every time I called both US and Canadian customs they were really helpful. US Customs even clarified while I was living in NY, that I could bring an entire dining and living room of newly purchased Canadian Mennonite furniture into the US duty free courtesy of NAFTA.

Thanks for the info guys.
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

I've bought and sold lots of cars and taken them outta Canada or into Canada. Very easy process. People telling you it's a paper trail and a mess is not telling you facts. Any car older then 15yrs old is duty free and doesn't need to meet EPA standards. Cars made in USA meaning vins that start with #1 are and were already imported to Canada and are welcome back to USA without issue. If you need more info pm me I will be happy to walk you through it. Easy as pie.
    1986 THUNDERBIRD TURBO-SOLD
    1984 GT TURBO 350 ANNY-SOLD
    1984 CAPRI RS TURBO T-TOP-SOLD
    1985 COUGAR XR-7 TURBO
    1980 CAPRI TURBO-SOLD
    1984 COUGAR XR-7 TURBO-SOLD
    1986 SVO-SOLD
    1984 SVO-SOLD
    1985 GT 331 SUPERCHARGED-SOLD
    78 FORD FAIRMONT- GETTING TRANSFORMED