Close

Thread: What sway bars?

FEP Member

Default What sway bars?

I’m looking at upgrading the sway bars on my 1986 SVO so it’ll stay flatter than it does currently. What aftermarket bars would be best for an otherwise stock suspension?

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

You should install SFCs first. Weld-in style. Those improve handling dramatically.

FEP Member

I’m guessing those are the sub frame connectors people have mentioned to me a few times now?

For sure. They make a huge difference

FEP Member

What’s the difference between weld in ones and other ones?

Quote Originally Posted by ClayBelt View Post
    What’s the difference between weld in ones and other ones?
    The weld in ones provide maximum support. You won't even be thinking about sway bars after these

Quote Originally Posted by ClayBelt View Post
    I’m looking at upgrading the sway bars on my 1986 SVO so it’ll stay flatter than it does currently. What aftermarket bars would be best for an otherwise stock suspension?
    I have these on my dads LTD. Huge upgrade on that of course.
    Very flat, even without performance springs or shocks.

https://lmr.com/item/EIB-35103/79-93...EaAgXZEALw_wcB
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    I have these on my dads LTD. Huge upgrade on that of course.
    Very flat, even without performance springs or shocks.

https://lmr.com/item/EIB-35103/79-93...EaAgXZEALw_wcB
    I for sure like the specs for those. Think they’re the same thickness as the ones on my grand marquis, and that thing is pretty flat, so I can only imagine how flat the SVO would be with them.

So based on all that, I’m currently thinking a set of BBK subframe connectors (the bolt ons, to be welded in at a later date) followed by the Eibach sway bars are in my plans for the future once it’s street legal. Does that sound like a decent enough plan?

My .02 on SFC is don't waste your time and money with most other options. Maximum Motorsports Full Length are the way to go. The Stifler setup would be my only other option besides MM.

The bolt in SFC don't provide the same stiffness and eventually will wallow out the bolt holes over time. I understand you plan on welding at a later date, but just save the time and trouble and do it right the first time IMHO. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I'll 2nd Trey's subframe connector suggestion. They're definitely something you want done the best way possible.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

I also agree, I had weld in sfc on 86 T-top and now on my 85 T-top. Massive difference

Go with MM full length, weld em' in and don't look back. Tremendous difference in how solid the car feels.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

FEP Member

What’s it usually cost to have connectors welded in?

The SVO uses a unique front swaybar. You can't just bolt on a "standard" Fox front swaybar. The endlinks will be quite misaligned.

Modifying the suspension on your car is tricky, because many of the parts were pulled from a Lincoln and other of the parts were made just for the SVO to be able to bridge the geometry gaps between the Lincoln and Mustang parts. The front swaybar is a good example of that. It is a totally unique part used on no other car.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    The SVO uses a unique front swaybar. You can't just bolt on a "standard" Fox front swaybar. The endlinks will be quite misaligned.

Modifying the suspension on your car is tricky, because many of the parts were pulled from a Lincoln and other of the parts were made just for the SVO to be able to bridge the geometry gaps between the Lincoln and Mustang parts. The front swaybar is a good example of that. It is a totally unique part used on no other car.
    Yep I had mentioned this in one of his other threads. I had also recommended sub frame connectors first.

Side note make sure the suspension is fully loaded with the weight of the car and the doors are closed / latched before welding.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

FEP Member

Alright, I guess that unique sway bar removes that from the realm of possibilities up front. Might still do the rear at some point depending on how I find the subframe connectors and if I can figure out what size the front one is

The front swaybar on your car is 1.20" diameter. The arms are 6.75" long (right angle length) and the eyelet width is 45". This makes the arms 0.45" shorter than a standard Fox Mustang swaybar and the swaybar 3.375" wider.

You can change the front swaybar, but to do this, you need to install new FCAs which have the endlink hole in a different location. Due to the construction of the SVO FCAs it is very, very difficult to move the swaybar endlink hole on them.

If you're looking for the best handling improvement for the dollar, full length subframe conncetors and a Panhard bar are it. They make the car ride better and handle better, with an improvement in NVH.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

FEP Member

Yup, the Subframe connectors will help more than the sway bars.

FEP Member

Sounds a lot like I need to get out of my BOF worldview for handling then and get me some sub frame connectors

As many of us have stated the full length SFC are money well spent on any Fox Body vehicle. The installation of SFC ties the uni-body together and provides a much stiffer and rigid chassis than what you currently have. That allows the suspension to actually do it's job and do it better. If after installing the SFC you still want to make improvements in handling that is fine, but as stated above you will be pleasantly surprised how much better your SVO drives, rides, and handles with just the SFC. The SVO suspension is pretty decent setup for an OEM suspension. Yes, you can make improvements in many areas depending on your needs/desires but starting with a solid/rigid foundation will allow you to make better choices and fully realize the benefits of any changes. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller