Close

Hybrid View

Default Value of 84 5.0 T5 trans, rear, driveshaft?

What is the value of a T5 trans from 84 5.0? Shifts fine, no grinds.

Value of 7.5” rear end with 3.08 gears, works fine but makes a little noise when reversing and turning steering wheel hard?

Also, value for the stock driveshaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

I don't really think any of them are worth more than scrap, besides the driveshaft. Maybe $40-50 where I live. The t5, imho, is only worth something if it's a world class unit. Even then, I would be picky about which model it is. Some folks will sell non-wc transmissions to people who don't know there's a difference. If you factor that in, it's probably worth about $300. I'm just not one of those people. You might find someone looking for a t5 to run temporarily or for a really stock cruiser, but any more than, say, $150 and you can usually find a much better later v6 t5. The most I've ever paid for one of those was $175 and they're a much stronger unit, from what I understand. Similar situation with the 7.5 rear. My buddy has a good one with 5-lug axles for sale right now. He's asking $50 for it and can't seem to give it away. Funny, considering the axles can be used in the 8.8. I've scrapped a few good 7.5 rears and found that there's not really a market for it, other than the scrap heap.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Yeah, I realize not many folks want the 7.5. But if your 7.5 is broken, could be a cheap option until you can upgrade to 8.8. I was thinking starting out at $300 for the trans, $50 for the rear, and $25 for the driveshaft.

Trans,if original to the 84, is non-WC so not worth much
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

What year did the WC's come out?

1985 was first year for WC
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thank you

You might check the tag. Someone could have very well swapped in a newer T5 somewhere along the way!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

FEP Senior Member

Yep, or if the tag is missing check the front of the case. There is a difference between the 2, in the plugs Ford used.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

I can’t read all of the tag in this photo, but I read enough to convince me that this is the original trans that came in my 84 5.0. I guess it’s not worth much to the world. I’m trying to clear out my storage unit and keep from filling up my garage, so I’m getting rid of stuff I’ll likely never use. Thought about selling the trans, but if I’ll only get less than $200 for it, I’ll just make room for it in the garage and keep it as a spare.

If I'm reading all of the codes right this is what the tag means...

E4ZR-7003-DA = manual transmission (R) originally engineered for 1984 (E4) Mustang (Z), release level DA
    J2443 = built on September 24th, 1984 on 3rd shift
    13-52-065 = 1984 Mustang/Capri 5.0L V8 T5 transmission
    4331 = serial #4331

If the transmission was original to the car the last eight of the VIN will be stamped on the passenger side of the main case, where it would bolt to the clutch housing.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Let me say this. First thing the non WC Tranny is good for core. As the top plate and tail stock are the same as a WC. The rest is useless and parts are no longer available. As for the 7.5 I sell them for about 250.00 eac to the roundy round guys love them. They are light and most run 4cyl so they will never break and most have some sort of gear in them. So that's worth something. DS is maybe worth 30-50 depending on condition. Hope this helps.
    1986 THUNDERBIRD TURBO-SOLD
    1984 GT TURBO 350 ANNY-SOLD
    1984 CAPRI RS TURBO T-TOP-SOLD
    1985 COUGAR XR-7 TURBO
    1980 CAPRI TURBO-SOLD
    1984 COUGAR XR-7 TURBO-SOLD
    1986 SVO-SOLD
    1984 SVO-SOLD
    1985 GT 331 SUPERCHARGED-SOLD
    78 FORD FAIRMONT- GETTING TRANSFORMED

Ended up selling the T5 for $175 and gave the rear end and driveshaft away for free just to get them out of my garage.