Close

FEP Member

Default New guy who got lucky...

Hello everyone, I’m new to the fox platform and ended up involved completely on accident. I used to own a 1966 Ford Thunderbird that I had dailied in high school, but I put it up for sale after I went to college. Ended up trading a guy for a 1986 SVO, gunmetal with a 5 speed that is just absolutely bone stock other than a dual exhaust. Thing had been sitting since 2012 other than a fuel system refresh, but she runs and drives good. Planning on doing a 3” turbo back, bigger swaybars, and maybe a few other things, but otherwise get her back on the road and use it as a decent little weekend car. Rocking some steelies off a 2007 Crown Vic at the moment until I can find some cheap, grippy rubber, but she’s good

FEP Senior Member

I'd love to see a picture with the steelies on it.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

86 SVOs came stock from the factory with the dual exhaust. Also the SVO front sway bar is already larger than any of the 5.0 sway bars. Unless you plan on going aftermarket.

In stock form I can jump between the reflectors on the dotted lines on the highway at exactly 65MPH and not waiver out of the lanes. I don't recommend anybody try that though.

My first recommendation is a good set of subframe connectors to start out.
    Last edited by Ken P; 02-20-2020 at 10:58 PM.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

FEP Member

Oh I 100% plan on going aftermarket for those sway bars. Gotta deal with a few maintainence things first like fluid changes and getting new tires.

Those P71 steelies ended up needing the 9mm spacers I used to run on my Grand Marquis up front to not rub on the struts, but since it gets me an extra 0.5” of wheel width for $50 I’m not going to complain. Need to find collared lug nuts and some 03+ pancake center caps for them later though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Congrads on the car deal.
    Great machine to work with.
    2x on installing good subframe connectors if not done already. A difference you will feel. No drawbacks.

A 1986 Helm Ford shop manual set or cd and the matching EVTM is money well spent. Others are not nearly as complete.
    Turbo 4cyls require adjustment from V8 driving style. They are not quite the same under 2k revs.
    Similar to a V6 when boosted, a good running 2.3 when not.
    Defiantly drive it a lot to experience what you have in stock form before major changes.
    Parts to check:
    All tune up parts and the tune. Motorcraft is best.
    New timing belt every 100k or so. T-belt tensioner every or every other belt change.
    Fluid changes with correct spec.
    Braking system inspection.
    Pedal pads, clutch, u-joints, exhaust hangers.
    Electrical, vac and rubber hoses, wiring harnesses.
    All suspension rubber, tie rods, ball joints.
    Any other oem parts due to age even with low miles.
    Last edited by gr79; 02-21-2020 at 07:32 PM.

FEP Member

I’ve got a timing belt, water pump, and new fluids standing by to go in the car in the next week or two. Bushings all look pretty decent, I suspect the previous owner put them on not long before he parked it. I’ll look into the sub frame connectors once I’ve got the fluids changed, new tires on, and have taken it for a longer spin to see for sure how she feels.

Ford only warrantied the timing belt to 50,000 miles. I'm an original owner of an 85.5

My first belt gave up it's teeth on the crank sprocket at 50,010 miles. Not kidding.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

I use belts from the Ford dealer or Ford racing catalog.
    9-2019 installed a Ford M-6268-A221 SQUARE tooth timing belt E5RE-6268-A2A. Says GATES brand.
    Belt #4 since the 79's engine was new.
    Did not replace the tensioner this time.
    Used a big screwdriver to lever the thing. Was going to get the 23 tool but did not need to.

Getting 100,000+ out of them, daily driving type use. No bonzi drag race rpms.
    They have lasted thru many run-on shutdowns needing engine to be stalled with clutch.
    My 93 Ranger 2.3 belt is due for replacement. That one is a round tooth style.

If installed belt is still good, mark it and the pulleys, then transfer marks to new belt to save alignment time.
    Takes a long time to get the timing and belt right if it snaps or nothing is marked or indexed prior.
    Yellow or white paint markers work fine and are visible years later.