Close

Default Ford Mercury Zephyr!??

Hi All

Another question from the far south if anyone can help with this one?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car...ef12db181e-004

As stated the owner believes this to be the same platform as 79-86 foxbody including some other parts he's collected.

I didn't even know these existed!

Does anybody have knowledge in regards to parts transference for my 84? Is it a 5 Stud wheel? Axle Width and such?

Thanks in advance

The 1978-93 "Fox" platform (not body) included the 1978-83 Ford Fairmont and Mercury Zephyr.

The 8.8" axle from the 86 is a good upgrade for your 84. Lug count (4-lug) and axle housing width and overall width is the same.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

FoxChassis is correct. See here for a whole section of the forum dedicated to Fairmonts and Zephyrs and other Fox platform non-Mustangs (Cougars and Tbirds and LTDs, etc etc) - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/forumdis...er-Early-Foxes.

Nothing on the Mercury Zephyr would be an upgrade for your '84 Mustang. But, as FoxChassis said, the '86 Mustang 8.8" rear end would be a good swap - exactly the same as your '84, just an 8.8" instead of a 7.5". It may or may not have a Traction-Lok limited slip diff, and the rear end ratio would need to be figured out (30+ years from new, it could be anything at this point).
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Thanks Lads. Going to try get over and have a look in the next couple of days.