Close

Default Hot Rod Garage 85GT

Did any of you happen to see the episode of Hot Rod Garage where they took a (basically) stock 85gt to the track and added parts to compare the increase in 1/4 mile times?

It was a valiant effort, but failed miserably, in my mind. It was still pretty entertaining. They rented a track for 2 days and spent both days wrenching on the car...adding a few parts, then making a few runs to compare times. I say it failed miserably because they spent some big money on Trickflow heads, aftermarket intake, cam, etc and only went from just under 15.x to 14.x seconds. A slipping clutch, tired engine, and not nearly enough time for dialing everything in was their downfall. But they had some fun and, in the end, that's what it's all about. If they could have stretched it out to 3 or 4 days, they probably could have seen some more impressive times.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I saw it, and thought it was good. I loved the end where they challenged the Internet trolls to comment.

As for the show, they should have put the stock distributor back in then see what happened after they lost so much power. Other than that I thought it was good to see their plans.

The fact they had the original cats was interesting, then I remembered they are in CA so would have gotten roasted by the gov. if they removed them.

At least they didn't pull the motor like they did years ago to stuff it into something (sunbeam? I can't remember)
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post
    I saw it, and thought it was good. I loved the end where they challenged the Internet trolls to comment.

As for the show, they should have put the stock distributor back in then see what happened after they lost so much power. Other than that I thought it was good to see their plans.

The fact they had the original cats was interesting, then I remembered they are in CA so would have gotten roasted by the gov. if they removed them.

At least they didn't pull the motor like they did years ago to stuff it into something (sunbeam? I can't remember)
    I may have given the wrong impression. I really liked the episode and props for taking on such a challenge! But the goal was to show power gains. They did some upgrades that should have given HUGE gains, but the lack of time killed it. I'm fairly certain another day or two for tuning would have made all the difference in the world.

This is the style of show the networks should be focusing on. It reflects more of what the average viewer is going through.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    They did some upgrades that should have given HUGE gains, but the lack of time killed it.

This is the style of show the networks should be focusing on. It reflects more of what the average viewer is going through.
    I 100% agree with this. If you watch the normal social media groups, this is almost a daily post. "I installed ______ and now my car won't _____." Too many owners are getting sucked into the buy buy buy mentality and they don't know what will work and what won't. They're lot of times trying to duplicate something they've seen online, which most of the time doesn't list all the trouble with getting to the result.