Close

Default hatchback split rear seat in 79-82/83 car

Does anybody know if a split back rear seat back and bottom from an aero car 87-93 will work in a 4 eye car (1982) and will it work with the four eye cars original interior panels? thanks

FEP Power Member

84-86 had them.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I know, so does that mean the 1982 interior panels work with all the split back seats?

Yes, the interior panels will work with any of the split back rear seat uppers. I have installed the split back upper in most of my early 4 Eyes as I like the set up better. The install is not difficult, but can be a bit tedious. The center pivot hinge from the split back vehicle is the main difference between the two seat styles. The vehicles with the original split bench will have threaded studs welded into the driveshaft tunnel/hump for the bracket. Obviously nothing will be there for the solid upper vehicles. You will want the bracket as well as the shims under the bracket so you can do the install in your 4 Eye.

What I have found to work best for me is the install the rear seat uppers into the interior. The includes bolting the outside hinge to the bracket on the bottom inside the rear interior quarter panels. Bolt in one side, then install the center pivot hinge into that upper. Now slide the other upper seat back onto the center pivot hinge and then bolt it's outside hinge to the outside body bracket. This allows the seat backs to pivot and fold. Now you have to find the correct placement/location for the center pivot hinge. I usually take a measurement from the donor car to get me a rough idea of where the pivot hinge will mount. If you don't have the donor, then you will have to use your best judgement on location. Essentially you want to place the pivot bracket so that the two upper seat backs are inline with one another and not tilted in or out at the middle. The other trick I often use is to get a rough placement with the seat in up position and latched to the metal plates from the cargo area. Mark that position of the pivot bracket. Then fold the seat backs down and latch the metal cargo plates again and check the placement of the pivot bracket again. Tweak as needed so that the seat backs will latch in both positions without too much trouble and you should be fine.

Next you can use self tapping screws to install the pivot bracket, you can use rivet nuts to set nuts that you can bolt down into, or you can drill holes and weld bolts up thru the bottom to create studs similar to the OEM setup. Use the shims to adjust the spacing between the seats and level the top of the seat backs side to side. That should do it, now just install the lower seat cushion and you are set. Hope that helps and good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Wondered again what it would take to convert from single to split rear hatch seats, so did a little searching.
    Always thought it would be cool to have that setup in my 79.
    With one seat section up, would help keep groceries or small cooler loads from shifting.
    But only if could match the early style seat back upholstery to the bottom and fronts.

Links posted below are for part detail reference only, no endorsements:
    Upper split seat mounting plates?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/86-93-Ford-...oAAOSwgm5d5cb2

Would not split seats also need the hinged back gap filler panels with two back striker latches retrofitted?
    The panels provide two strikers to engage the back of each upper seat back section release handle.
    Single seat back has a matching hinged panel with one centered striker. Don't think it will work with split seats.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSTANG-Bac...0AAOSwNaBd7oJk
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSTANG-Bac...75.c100623.m-1

Center hinges?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-93-MUS....c100005.m1851

Could fold down the drivers side as a table for the little passengers. Box that pet in.
    Adults get no table. Most wind up sitting sideways because the seat bottom and leg room is so low.

Now to find one of those optional 4 way drivers seat tracks...
    Last edited by gr79; 02-16-2020 at 03:21 PM.

FEP Super Member

I took the split folding rear seat out of my car many years ago .
    I still have all the hardware and cushions , I will never re install it either
    If some one wants or needs it , pay for the ride ,and it is yours .
    Came from an 84 Gt , grey interior .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I should have been more specific in my post above, but I made the assumption the original poster was swapping a complete split rear seat set up from the donor vehicle. Personally I would not recommend trying to piece the setup together piece by piece as that will most likely cost you a lot more money in the long run.

Yes, you will need the split rear hinge panel to make it all work as well as all of the misc specific parts to the split upper seat backs. My comment was more in regards to the actual hinge rotation aspect between the two seats. The outer hinges on the body don't care if the seat is a one piece or a two piece upper seat back. That in addition to the center pivot bracket, the upper rear seat back parts, and rear cargo hinge panel you can swap any early Four Eye to a split rear seat. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Also take note that the 87-89 and 90-93 are not the same. the uppers are the same from 84-93 but not the lowers. The 87-89 seat bottom is the same as the 84-86 but the 90-93 mounts totally different. That's the first year for air bags and apparently they made other safety changes. The 90-93 seat bottom has 2 huge, heavy metal brackets under the seat bottom that bolt to the floor. I believe they are called "anti-submarine" brackets and are intended to keep someone from slipping out from under the seat belt in a high energy front collision. The 84-89 lower seat had two small, thin metal brackets welded to the floor to mount it. I suspect it's identical to the 79-83 version. The 90-93 seat bottom also had cut-outs in the seat cushion and the seat belts protrude through the seat itself. In earlier years, they simply routed in between the lower and upper seats. It's easy to swap the 90-93 cover on to the 84-89 lower seat foam. That was also the first year for the constant-tension seat belts and the front seat backs were locked and you HAD to pull the lever to release them every time you pulled them forward. Also the rear got three-point belts for the first time.
    Last edited by homer302; 02-26-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Thank you guys for all the info.