Close

Default Starter Solenoid

My 85 currently has this type of starter solenoid in it...

Name:  Starter Relay 1.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  86.4 KB

The solenoid with the hot and ground post and then the post for the ignition wire.

I have seen quite a few pics of engine bays, though, up to 85's, where this starter solenoid was installed...

Name:  Starter Relay 2.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  257.2 KB

Is there any real difference between the two? I see that the second one has an additional post. Not sure what the second post is for.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

FEP Power Member

They both do the same function. The second one is the 1960s style.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

KevenK is correct.

My '56 f100 has the old style one. If used on your mustang, you'll only use one of the two small posts for your trigger wire.
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Thanks for the input. Can anyone who has a 79-85 Mustang with the second starter solenoid pictured get a close up picture(s) of their solenoid?
    Last edited by tbirdman; 02-10-2020 at 12:29 PM.

85 Mustang GT

FEP Power Member

I was working on my 85 Capri this weekend and noticed it had the old style. My car is a CFI and it’s mounted on the passenger side by the air cleaner snorkel. It’s pretty tight over there. It is the 3 terminal type.

I do recall my 84 mustang GT Turbo has the newer style ant it’s on the drivers side. It was bad when I bought the car and was the reason for not running.
    I’m certain my 84 svo is the same.

I do recall the 92 GT I had was on the drivers side and the newer style. A spare came with this car and was used on the 84.
    I would expect my 88 and 89 to be the same.

The difference might be related to the battery relocation to the drivers side.

I forget what the 4th post was used for on the old style. It was referred to as SW-1 but has been replaced with a newer number. There are some counterfeits out there. I know it was used in 69 and probably phased out in the 70s.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
    Thanks for the input. Can anyone who has a 79-85 Mustang with the second starter solenoid pictured get a close up picture(s) of their solenoid?
    I can get one of my 83 GT. Are you looking for any particular detail?
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Here's a cropped photo of the original solenoid on my '85. It's since been replaced with the newer style solenoid during the rewire for new starter.

Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Thanks for the picture 85MUSTANGTGT, and yes, 83GTJIM, if you could get me a picture, that would be great. What I'm looking for is to see how many posts the solenoid has on it and how it's mounted inside the fender. I know that there will be differences, but I want to see if there was a specific way the solenoids were put in when they built the cars, or did they just put them in there depending on the mood of the person on the assembly line who was installing starter solenoids that day? Also, to see how many might have the first version of the starter solenoid installed, and how many have the second version installed?

I currently have the first version installed in my car as well, but I'm not sure if that's the way it came from the factory. I know I will probably never know, but if the trend is more towards the second version of the solenoid, then I might go that route when I re-do the engine bay hopefully later this year. I wanted to see if running the wiring is easier with the second version or not.

Oh the little things.

And I believe your correct KevinK, the location of the starter solenoid is in relation to the location of the battery. That's why on the turbo cars the starter solenoid is on the driver's side fender well, because the battery is located in that area as well.

85 Mustang GT

Tbird-

As luck would have it, I can get an easy pic or two. This is the original solenoid in my 85.

Name:  Solenoid_1.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  99.4 KB

Name:  Solenoid_2.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  81.1 KB
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Name:  IMG_2580.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  277.6 KB

Motorcraft D2SF-11450-AB
    I am currently pulling the engine to do a full engine bay restoration.
    Last edited by 83GTJIM; 02-10-2020 at 09:23 PM.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18