Close

Default 87-88 TB rear end with 7.5 axles & parking brake

I have access to a junked 87-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. I understand that the 4-lug TB 8.8 housing and disk brake setup could be used on a 78-85 Foxes by simply swapping/transferring its shorter 4-lug axles into the 8.8 (brake lines will need to be swapped/modified as well). Is this correct? Any other major items to keep in mind on such a project? BTW the front brakes will be updated to 87+ spindles-calipers-rotors.

On my 78 Zephyr I have foot-pedal operated parking/emergency brakes. Does anybody know if the rear cable kits for hand-lever operated emergency brakes (1986-up conversions from rear drum to disk brakes) work with the earlier foot-operated parking brakes, or I need to use/adapt a parking brake lever system to my 78 project car?

Thanks, Raul

The Turbo coupe caliper mounting brackets are meant to work with the longer axles. Most people doing this swap use North Race Cars brackets with Mustang axles.
    https://northracecars.com/Brakes.html
    Mike
    85 GT - owned since 87

Turbo coupe rear is the same width as the 94-98 mustang rear. If you thought about going 5 lug, this rear will fit fine.

The stock thunderbird brake was foot operated. I would assume the system would be very similar.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar