Close

Default SN T5 swap in 1984 Mustang

So I searched high and low for a Tremec World Class T5 to install in my 1984 Anniversary car. I bought an SN T5 and a shortened Aluminum Drive shaft and other misc parts for $900 bucks. Transmission had 40,000 miles on it, and the driveshaft was professionally built and balanced by a performance shop in Sioux Falls SD.

So my understanding is the SN transmission has a longer input shaft, I am going to use the SN bell housing. This will move everything in the car 3/4 of an inch back. Hence the shorter drive shaft. I checked the shifter clearance in the car, should be good there:

The cross-member I needed to modify as my mount was almost all the way back:

To do this I grinded the welds and moved the mount all the way to the rear of the car so I have plenty of adjustment:

With the modified cross-member and shorted driveshaft is there anything else I need to know or surprised I will run into?

I think it should be pretty straightforward but want some feedback if anyone has done this. Hope I don't regret this...

Mike

I don't see why more Fox guys don't do this, really. The stock position of the shifter on a Fox is too far forward to me. That's why I put the long Hurst style shifter on mine.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I know with classic 65-66 mustangs the finned vent on the bellhousing will hit the trans tunnel unless it's shaved flush. Also not sure if the different location of the clutch fork will interfere with any traditional fox mustang exhaust.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

I am running shortie headers with an H Pipe, 2 1/2 inch stainless. Now I'm worried about the exhaust getting in the way of the Clutch Fork. Anyone else running this setup for exhaust/trans?

I am getting an SN95 tranny but I'm going the route of swapping the input shaft and bearing to a 93. Seems less implications doing that versus using the longer bellhousing

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saleen428 View Post
    I am getting an SN95 tranny but I'm going the route of swapping the input shaft and bearing to a 93. Seems less implications doing that versus using the longer bellhousing

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk
    I thought about doing that as well, but I've heard that moving the shifter back makes it easier to hit 3rd gear, i know right, 3/4 of an inch but have talked to a couple of local Foxbody guys and they love it. Hence the reason why I bought the SN trans and not the 93 T5 I found.

Curious how many on here are running the SN trans and Bell-housing....

I like it moved back a bit, simply because the front 2 shifter base bolts are easier to get to. Having said that, I have 2 foxes currently where I used 99-04 v6 t5's and swapped the shorter input shaft over, which is less work. I have a sn95 bell on standby. Next time either of these need pulled, I'm going that route.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

And with the sn95 Bell, the same starter works on the 50 oz flywheel? Also again a bit concerned about the exhaust clearance. Anyone have experience with the location of the shift fork on the SN trans at the 7 o'clock position vs. the 9?

On my 87 tbird with a 302 and y-pipe, the clutch fork came close to the cat heat sheild, but did not rub.

I'm pretty sure a standard duel exhaust would fit fine if a cat does..., but I never went through the effort of lining up my h pipe and headers to find out.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

So probably already know this but no cats on the car, just a pair of shorties and 2 1/2 inch stainless. I can assume the 50 ounce flywheel, 10.5” clutch and my starter will all work with the new bell?

V-6 uses a 164 tooth vs the 157t flywheel and a larger 11" clutch.

Starter can be the same, but it has to be of the mini starter variety or old style starter ground down to fit, and the offset of the starter depends on the flywheel.

Starters have either a 3/8 or 3/4" offset. Meaning it will work, or it won't pretty much. Depends on the flywheel.
    1 1987 cougar

In my sons 80 cobra I used a 98 V6 T5 with a SROD bellhousing and MDL adapter plate. It all fit nicely.

In my case I had to shorten the driveshaft but this was mainly because the car had a C4 originally. I also bought a stifflers crossmember which lined up the transmission mount perfect.

Forgot to mention I decided on the adapter plate route so i didn't have to worry about flywheel or starter or clutch fork issues. You can then just re-use all the stock stuff for a normal fox manual setup etc. I believe MDL also makes an adapter plate to use the longer V6 shaft with a stock T-5 bell housing as well. It still puts the shifter back 3/4 of an inch which I do like as well.

Sort of depends what parts you already have and what you want to modify I guess.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    Forgot to mention I decided on the adapter plate route so i didn't have to worry about flywheel or starter or clutch fork issues. You can then just re-use all the stock stuff for a normal fox manual setup etc. I believe MDL also makes an adapter plate to use the longer V6 shaft with a stock T-5 bell housing as well. It still puts the shifter back 3/4 of an inch which I do like as well.

Sort of depends what parts you already have and what you want to modify I guess.

Cheers

I really don't want to do any modifications other than:
    1. shortened driveshaft
    2. Modified Crossmember

I am using an SN95 Bell and Transmission from a V8 GT 94-95 car. So my understanding is I will use my stock Flywheel, starter and am putting a new 10.5" clutch in.

The longer shaft is fixed by using the bellhousing, and the shortened driveshaft. So my understanding is I don't need to change the flywheel or starter since I have a V8 transmission not a V6 - correct?

Are you planning on using the V6 bell ? It will bolt up to the 302 block but pretty sure the 157 tooth 50 oz flywheel will not work with it since the later model V6 is designed for the 164 tooth and 11" clutch.

Do you have a regular fox bellhousing now ?

Oh sorry just reread you are using the V8 bell so I think it will work but Ive never done that combo...

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    V-6 uses a 164 tooth vs the 157t flywheel and a larger 11" clutch.

Starter can be the same, but it has to be of the mini starter variety or old style starter ground down to fit, and the offset of the starter depends on the flywheel.

Starters have either a 3/8 or 3/4" offset. Meaning it will work, or it won't pretty much. Depends on the flywheel.
    Got the flywheel on, new clutch and bell housing. Went to put starter in - no dice. It won't fully insert into the bell. This is starter I have, do I need to get a new one for SN V8 Bellhouse?

Help please, this is driving me nuts. UGG!!!

By 1992, all starters were the pmgr small starters.

The smaller starters do not have the extra ribbing on the outside nose cone of the starter.

My old starter wouldnt fit inside the sn-95 bell, the hole was physically smaller. Not by much though. I needed a different starter for the offset anyways and just got a smaller pmgr style one.

I do however member trying my old starter. It didn't sit flush. If I remember correctly, you can grind down the webbing on the back side of the nose cone of the starter and fully seat it.
    1 1987 cougar

You can see the difference in size here. My guess is since they didn't use the older starter anymore and redesigned the bell Housing it only fits the smaller starter.
    1 1987 cougar

So I just need to rewire the starter then? And buy the smaller one?

FEP Super Member

That is correct
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right