Close

Default Cam question in S-O motor

Is it possible to use a B303 cam in a S-O motor? I believe the pistons are flat top? Correct? Would also be changing heads to GT 40 (3 bar) with TF spring kit. Am I looking at PTV problems if I go this route
    Car is a 1987 Tbird with SO 5.0
    Thanks in advance

Likelly to be problems, definitely check carefully first.

I'm planning on stock ho cam in mine with gt40p heads. I'm still nervous and will check. 88 Cougar.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I was hoping to build an explorer motor but trying to keep it budget friendly. I have a new HO cam I could go with. I’ve heard others go that route and it worked well.

The 3 bar heads have a larger exhaust valve than the P heads. P heads have same size exhaust valve as the E7 heads.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    The 3 bar heads have a larger exhaust valve than the P heads. P heads have same size exhaust valve as the E7 heads.
    I didn’t know that. I’ve always heard the P heads were more hassle because of special headers & spark plug angle?
    Thanks for the info.

I scored a set of old Motorsport P headers, they are rarer, but you can still find them used. Ford quit making them some time ago. Most people now use the bbk 1515 (unsure of the correct part number, standard bbk shorties), and some 90 degree angled spark plug wires on a couple cylinders.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I'm running the GT40p heads on my stock bottom end 1985 short block; well, except it has a Ford Racing E-303 camshaft. I have no issues and it pulls well past 6,000 rpm. I also have the Ford Racing GT40p stainless headers, but did have the BBK headers prior with 90* boots. I've heard the cheap Ebay GT40p headers work, but only hearsay. The Gt40p and GT40 heads are almost identical in comparison, and some say the GT40p's are better because of fuel burn but I guess it depends on which version GT40 units you have...there were a couple variations relative to combustion chamber sizes from what I remember. The GT40p heads have smaller combustion chambers than any of the GT40 units which relates to more compression and more bottom end. They also do not have the thermactor ports because they are so efficient.

Name:  Ford head chart.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  457.8 KB
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride