Close

Default Modified four eye mustangs

I'm the proud owner of a 84 GT. I've had my car for twenty years and it just sits. Thinking about selling it, but I dont see very many modified four eyed Mustangs on here. My car is pretty clean and not cut up. Thpughts/opinions?

All depends on what you want to do with it. Go fast? Cruise? Daily? All of the above?

Worse thing you can do is let it sit.

Modified is just a word that my have negative connotations to some, but not me. I was 17 when I turned a 3 speed sux seater car into a 4 speed floor shift hot rod. Fords are supposed ti be custonisrd by modifications, and Foxes are modern eara three and five window Ford V8s. The best press modified cars of the mid 80s are able to do 11sec quarters with modern tech, and there are plenty of those here that still look "stock".

Broaden your horizons, but keep your bed narrow, because these cars are LOVED.

Nothing wrong with modified Mustangs, Capris, etc. here on FEP. Many members here love their stock Four Eyes and don't have needs/desires to modify them. Others such as myself seldom if ever leave their Four Eyes stock and original. The main purpose here on FEP is that Four Eyes remain Four Eyes so modifications that include front and rear bumpers that change the identity of said vehicle are not acceptable.

Engine modifications, driveline modifications, interior modifications, body modifications, etc. have all been done and seen here on FEP is you look long enough. It's your car and you should enjoy it as much as possible. If for you that means a new engine, transmission, interior, paint color, or even just a different set of wheels and tires I would say go for it. No sense in allowing a great car to sit and not be enjoyed. The 1984 GT, especially the later GT with the fog lamps is a rare car to see today, so getting it out and on the road will be good not only for you, the vehicle, but others that may have never seen one on the road before. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Super Member

Is this a question , of whether to sell it or keep it ?
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Senior Member

I think mine would fit into the modified crowd. The only thing stock on mine is the metal body panels that remain, and a few of the interior pieces. Otherwise it's all been replaced with other Ford parts or upgraded in some way. I'd rather sell a vehicle than let it sit all the time. I've toyed with selling mine for that reason. I had a lot of enjoyment building it, but only put 1,000 or less on it during the 8 months I can drive it in a year.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

FEP Super Member

^^^Mine is about the same .
    Body and paint , most of the interior , are original .
    Drivetrain and suspension are all touched by me , and the seats .
    Have to be comfortable driving the 4 or 5 months a year i can .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Mine is definitely modified....or in the progress at least

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    Is this a question , of whether to sell it or keep it ?
    It's a question. I know we never get the money that we put into our cars. I just didnt know if a modified mustang had the value like a bone stock never been touched car. From what you see on tv auctions and the for sale section here, it seemed to me all the love went to the original cars. After twenty years of owning my car, I've lost my desire for it. I have different interests now. I'm curious if there is a demand for a hot rodded 84 GT? Btw, it still has four eyes and the dog light holes in the bumper. Only cosmetic changes I made to the car is a fiberglass hood and an 85 spoiler without the third brake light.Name:  20140501_140716.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  159.4 KB

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by resurection View Post
    I'm curious if there is a demand for a hot rodded 84 GT?
    Simple answer, yes. Clean cars, whether modified or not, have value. Don't let the auctions confuse you and think your cars is super valuable or not worth anything. Yours (just like most of us) won't be a $25k car. Very few are, and even the auction cars wouldn't be worth that if sold on Craigslist. How much are you thinking about selling it for? $10k, $5k, etc.? If it's mechanically sound, and the interior looks as good as the exterior, that could be a $10k to the right buyer. It's not overly modified, which may increase the buyer interest. Some of us have extensive modifications to our own tastes which will potentially reduce the interest if we ever choose to sell.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Make it yours! None of them are worth a fortune at this time after 34+ years. You can wait around a million more years hoping that it'll be worth retirement money someday but I don't see that happening. Hardly a smart investment.

Mine is now 41 years old and mint, low mileage originals are lucky to be going for $15K. I bought mine back in 2000 for $1,500 and have spent another $33,500 on it since then. That's covered two brand new engines (and two rebuilds on one of them), three sets of tires, two sets of race tires, a brand new transmission and two transmission rebuilds and everything needed to rebuild it from the unibody up. I'll never get my money back but I don't care about any of that. I'm buying smiles, fun, cruise nights, car shows, drag racing, and the making of numerous friends. Like any hobby, it's not cheap and like any hobby, you do it for the love of it and not for resale value.

Anyway, mine may look stock on the outside (except for wheels/tires/fuel pressure gauge) and on the inside (except for gauges/stereo and steering wheel) but the entire drive train is 100% modified. It's got a naturally aspirated 347 stroker/5-speed/4.30 geared combo that makes 420 rwhp/380 rwt and has run a best of 11.49 @ 121.86 mph. Here's a pic.Name:  DSC_0025.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  265.6 KB
    Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 03-01-2020 at 08:28 PM.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Beautiful Cobra Pete. I remember the hotwheels car I had years ago that was a spitting image except for the lightning volt on the side.... Really a great looking car.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Beautiful Cobra Pete. I remember the hotwheels car I had years ago that was a spitting image except for the lightning volt on the side.... Really a great looking car.
    Thanks! It's a labor of love.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    I'm buying smiles, fun, cruise nights, car shows, drag racing, and the making of numerous friends. Like any hobby, it's not cheap and like any hobby, you do it for the love of it and not for resale value.
    I also feel that is what this hobby is all about. The cars just bring us all together.

Your car is beautiful Pete. I think you bought a lot of smiles on this site as well as where ever you take your car. I can't imagine anyone not getting a smile on their face when they see your car. I always enjoy seeing the pictures you post of it.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    Make it yours! None of them are worth a fortune at this time after 34+ years. You can wait around a million more years hoping that it'll be worth retirement money someday but I don't see that happening. Hardly a smart investment.

Mine is now 41 years old and mint, low mileage originals are lucky to be going for $15K. I bought mine back in 2000 for $1,500 and have spent another $33,500 on it since then. That's covered two brand new engines (and two rebuilds on one of them), three sets of tires, two sets of race tires, a brand new transmission and two transmission rebuilds and everything needed to rebuild it from the unibody up. I'll never get my money back but I don't care about any of that. I'm buying smiles, fun, cruise nights, car shows, drag racing, and the making of numerous friends. Like any hobby, it's not cheap and like any hobby, you do it for the love of it and not for resale value.

Anyway, mine may look stock on the outside (except for wheels/tires/fuel pressure gauge) and on the inside (except for gauges/stereo and steering wheel) but the entire drive train is 100% modified. It's got a naturally aspirated 347 stroker/5-speed/4.30 geared combo that makes 420 rwhp/380 rwt and has run a best of 11.49 @ 121.86 mph. Here's a pic.Name:  DSC_0025.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  265.6 KB
    That is one of my favorite cars on the planet. Love everything about it!!! Way to go Pete! Totally agree on what you said about Fox values and investing in them It all comes down to having fun and meeting some great people aint it...
    Last edited by Boomer85gt; 03-04-2020 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    You mean like thisName:  IMG_20200304_130156251.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  171.8 KBName:  IMG_20200304_130136951.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  177.8 KB
    Last edited by casper 1999; 03-04-2020 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fascat View Post
    I also feel that is what this hobby is all about. The cars just bring us all together.

Your car is beautiful Pete. I think you bought a lot of smiles on this site as well as where ever you take your car. I can't imagine anyone not getting a smile on their face when they see your car. I always enjoy seeing the pictures you post of it.
    Thank you!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer85gt View Post
    That is one of my favorite cars on the planet. Love everything about it!!! Way to go Pete! Totally agree on what you said about Fox values and investing in them It all comes down to having fun and meeting some great people aint it...
    Thank you! You're right. It's all about fun and meeting great people! I've got numerous friends that I see during the summer that I've met through this site. I wouldn't change a thing and I have no regrets in regards to the money that I've spent over the past 20 years of ownership. You cannot put a price on this hobby because it's so rewarding in numerous other ways than on the dollar figure.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

I think cars that bring the most value are those that don't stray too far from original look on the exterior bodywork/colors, dash, and seats.
    Don't add big funky hood scoops or wings, don't hack up the stock dash for aftermarket guages, and don't put in E-bay racing seats.
    I personally like as close to stock looking as possible, especially outside, but mod as much as you want for the drivetrain.

Stock looking, except for wide rear tires.

But not even close to stock under the hood.

I even made a new bracket instead of stock fog light one, painted my IC/piping black and mounted fog light frames from above, all to make it look more stock.

BTW, any way to delete an attachment pic once it's posted?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by OX1; 03-06-2020 at 10:19 AM.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )